• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN "Book Club"--VOTING OVER--RESULTS!

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Voting has ENDED. Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei (and Lain) are teh winnahs.

(I cast some votes...just to cast some votes. They had no real effect on the outcome, but I ended up backing Haibane Renmei, Paranoia Agent, and Wolf's Rain out of love for their strong themes.)

DISCUSSION THREADS WILL OPEN JUNE 30th (after I prepare them and their schedules) AND DISCUSSION WILL BEGIN JULY 1st (after you've had enough time to buy/download/find the series, and 1-6 days to watch the episodes.)

TOP 20 LEADERBOARD

Kino's Journey +19

Haibane Renmei +17

Last Exile +12

Fantastic Children +8

Planetes +8

Paranoia Agent +8

Figure 17 +7

Mushi-Shi +5

Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water +5

Noein +5

Tehxnolyze +5

Infinite Ryvius +4

Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex +4

Crest of the Stars (Trilogy?) +2

Niea_7 +2

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo +2

Wolf's Rain +2

Master Keaton +1

Now and Then, Here and There

Vision of Escaflowne

NOTE: After discussing it with AromaticGrass, Lain will be an automatic discussion thread effective at the same time as the one or two selected here.

Okay, Zalis originally mentioned this offhand in another thread...I can't even remember which one...so I thought I'd pose the idea here.

It's mid-June, so I'm going to assume everyone's officially considering it SUMMERTIME. Hooray. Bells and whistles, bells and whistles and cute swimsuits and death-by-chocolate ice cream. So for these two or three more lackadaisical months, it might be nice to have an "Anime Book Club" thing for anyone who wants to do it.

A) Basically, we popularly decide a good, "released" anime series to watch together over the course of a month or so. As in, not fresh out of fansubs, which are being hotly discussed anyway, but something most people agree is a "must-see" series that can provide for a lot of intellectual discussion, whether relatively new or oldy-moldy.

In any case, it should be something worth watching that hasn't already been seen by EVERYONE, anyway.

B) Once a series has been chosen, we watch 1-4 episodes a week, (depending on its longevity or pace) and discuss them once the week is up. People who have seen the show before can elaborate on different layers of the story and characters, and those experiencing the series for the first time can add their take on its freshness or staleness and hypothesize about what's to come. It could be FUN. Anime smallmouth

C) Of course, we'd need some kind of moderator to say which episodes we'd be discussing each week and just...moderate. (Don't underestimate this, it's what's been keeping the AMAZING longevity of the Fruits Basket thread in the manga forum here. The moderator, I should think, should be someone who has seen the show before. Just my opinion.

D) We wouldn't all have to discuss the show on ONE day of course. Just anytime during the respective week that's posited for those episodes. Either way, watching and discussing a GOOD series together, (and picking a good one is key) could really be fun and a nice change of pace from the crawling fansub threads around here, so I'd like to see some good support for this like the ANN tournaments have had, (and approval from moderators, heh heh.) How about it?

Post here to support the idea, (or diss it, I'm easy), post GOOD series to choose from, and/or nominate a mod for the idea.

Thanks for reading! Very Happy[/i]

Last edited by JacobC on Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:58 am; edited 34 times in total
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I think we should start with something Short but not often discussed on ANN

I'd suggest:

Gunbuster (1&2) - a gainax mecha series that while short has a great potential for discussion and is short enough as to prove easy to watch and keep up with

edit:

as far as moderators go I'd suggest we have up to two different ones (one general moderator to keep things consistent and one specific moderator for each series (they could be one and the same

and (if people agree) I'd like to give a vote to Abunai for GM because I've always found him to be fair and a good writer, while not afraid to argue his opinion
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I also like this idea. Given how expensive it is to obtain an official copy, however, I'm not sure if Gunbuster is the right choice here. (Although it qualifies in every other sense and, I guess, people could try to rent it.)

One that might work well would be Fantastic Children. Its individual volumes are relatively cheap, it should be easily available, and it's a series that really deserves more attention than it's gotten. And the English dub is awful on an epic level, so we wouldn't even have to quibble over whether to watch it subbed or dubbed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
and (if people agree) I'd like to give a vote to Abunai for GM because I've always found him to be fair and a good writer, while not afraid to argue his opinion

You know, the rule JesuOtaku wrote:
Basically, we popularly decide a good, "released" anime series to watch together over the course of a month or so.

Unless JesuOtaku is going to change this rule, it basically prohibits abunai and me to join the discussion. And I honestly don't think you nominated him for neutrality (do we really need that here?) due to lack of conflict of interest. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:

You know, the rule JesuOtaku wrote:
Basically, we popularly decide a good, "released" anime series to watch together over the course of a month or so.

Unless JesuOtaku is going to change this rule, it basically prohibits abunai and me to join the discussion. And I honestly don't think you nominated him for neutrality (do we really need that here?) due to lack of conflict of interest. Rolling Eyes

am I missing something here?

I don't see how that prohibits anyone from joining the discussion (In fact I thought that was the general idea)

(also I said he was fair NOT neutral there is a difference)
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I also like this idea. Given how expensive it is to obtain an official copy, however, I'm not sure if Gunbuster is the right choice here. (Although it qualifies in every other sense and, I guess, people could try to rent it.)

One that might work well would be Fantastic Children. Its individual volumes are relatively cheap, it should be easily available, and it's a series that really deserves more attention than it's gotten. And the English dub is awful on an epic level, so we wouldn't even have to quibble over whether to watch it subbed or dubbed.

"If the good lord had intended us to purchase things, he wouldn't have invented Netflix." Wink (I lurve Gene Wilder movies.)

FANTASTIC CHILDREN sounds like a fantastic idea. Yes, the dub is awful. I never finished it for that reason, but hey, I was thirteen then. I'd love the chance to revisit it. I'll throw a few more into the pot.

Suggestions from me:

VISION OF ESCAFLOWNE--Many people have seen this, but it's aged well, and there are many "new to anime" fans here as well as veterans. Heck, I'm one of them, I've just always loved older stuff. Great one for week-by-week planning because of clever use of cliffhangers and keeping the story simple, stupid, yet complex. And we can't pick on Zac enough for admitting he lurves it most of all. Very Happy

SAIKANO: Because it's short. And while the name has a strong connotation/legacy with toying with one's emotions, I honestly don't think many people have seen the whole thing. (I could eat my words in a minute though...)

GANKUTSUOU: I was just at a convention where Johnny Bosch talked about how incredibly underappreciated this series was, and I agree. Another painful dub, though, not on Fantastic Children standards. Definitely THICK ground for discussion.

CREST OF THE STARS: I've seen a bit now. It's gripping and brief, and has good layers, too.

LAST EXILE: I was just at a convention where Johnny Bosch talked about how incredibly underappreciated this series was and...is there an echo in here? (He did, though.) I'm watching it now and it's very absorbing, and a good size.

TRIGUN: Personal bias here. An oldie but a goodie, and I know for a fact that a surprising number of people at ANN haven't seen this one. Weird, because I could have sworn it was really well-known. There would certainly be a lot of philosophical debate on this one, as well as those who know the manga filling in story gaps about what the fahrfregnugen Vash is supposed to be, and other details.

BERSERK: This is a dumb idea, but I can't help suggesting it. I mean, it's really really a good show, and a perfect one for character discussion and speculation as it develops. The way the characters are explored in the show is almost Hamlet-esque, switching conceptions as the story goes, but you KNOW it's not going to end well, so...it's still good. Can't help mentioning it.

SERIAL EXPERIMENTS LAIN: Well...it's thought-provoking. That comes at a price, though, for those who've seen it and know what I'm hinting at. But I was trying to think of something particularly gumption-getting, kinda like...

PARANOIA AGENT: Same as above. Not real summer-y, but even one episode a week would elicit a lot of discussion about social conventions, symbolism in the show, and different takes on the stream-of-consciousness oddness.

TRINITY BLOOD: Fun to watch. It had its...deep...moments, too. I'm not a fan of vampire anime, but I'm trying to branch in my choices some.

Speaking of branching out, someone needs to mention some complex and intellectual shojo, because I don't know of much and can't suggest any. Silly me. Is HONEY AND CLOVER a good one? I don't know, just popped into my head.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I think this is a great idea and ironically enough this is the series I am rewatching now. And now that I know what happens I actually pick up on all these little clues and foreshadowing that I completely missed the first time around.

Quote:
Speaking of branching out, someone needs to mention some complex and intellectual shojo, because I don't know of much and can't suggest any. Silly me. Is HONEY AND CLOVER a good one? I don't know, just popped into my head.

It is excellent but sadly while licensed it's not out on DVD yet Sad

Although a good shoujo to discuss might be Princess Tutu. Every time I rewatch that series I notice something I missed.

I also think Kino's Journey might be an interesting series to discuss. While it doesn't have a continuous storyline, it would be interesting to hear everyone's different takes on the individual stories Kino tells.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I think dormcat's and abunai's problem with the "released" anime thing is that you mean U.S. release, Jesuotaku. Dormcat is certainly not from the U.S. nor does he live here. I'm assuming Abunai doesn't either (his staff description sayd he's "Dannish").

That's just what I think at least.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a wonderful idea. I tried to participate in the Code Geass [as] thread, but I found out that I can't handle watching only one episode at a time. The other problem I have with those fansub/R1 TV threads is that too much discussion goes into who should be the VA/which VA sucked as which character. I would submit that we try to avoid that kind of discussion, and the whole sub/dub thing (just watch whichever you want), and focus more on the story. I mean, how often do book clubs talk about which characters would be best portrayed by Johnny Depp?

JesuOtaku wrote:
GANKUTSUOU: I was just at a convention where Johnny Bosch talked about how incredibly underappreciated this series was, and I agree. Another painful dub, though, not on Fantastic Children standards. Definitely THICK ground for discussion.

CREST OF THE STARS: I've seen a bit now. It's gripping and brief, and has good layers, too.

LAST EXILE: I was just at a convention where Johnny Bosch talked about how incredibly underappreciated this series was and...is there an echo in here? (He did, though.) I'm watching it now and it's very absorbing, and a good size.

VISION OF ESCAFLOWNE--Many people have seen this, but it's aged well, and there are many "new to anime" fans here as well as veterans. Heck, I'm one of them, I've just always loved older stuff. Great one for week-by-week planning because of clever use of cliffhangers and keeping the story simple, stupid, yet complex.
I would agree with these titles.
Key wrote:

I had to look up Fantastic Children, and long as it doesn't have anything to do with that stupid "The Mayan calendar says the world is going to end in 2012" nonsense, I'd be fine with this one.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
I think dormcat's and abunai's problem with the "released" anime thing is that you mean U.S. release, Jesuotaku. Dormcat is certainly not from the U.S. nor does he live here. I'm assuming Abunai doesn't either (his staff description sayd he's "Dannish").

Thank you, I was about to ask about that. Well......they can watch the series however they watch ANY series, whether new on fansubs or old and...released in Europe or Taiwan...or...well, if you watch old series on fansubs too, guys, this is no different.

One thing Zalis mentioned about the idea is that we're NOT going to quiz anybody on in what manner they're watching the show in question. It doesn't particularly matter. The point is that we're watching something people know to be good and needs to be exposed to new viewers and enjoyed by lots of people at once in an online community.

(The point is NOT how many people need to purchase this show in a particular way or whatever.) So I don't see the issue, honestly. Me personally I'll try to rent it, and if that don't work, buy it. Worst comes to worst, I'll Youtube/Veoh search. That doesn't work, I won't participate. (But I can't imagine not finding it through those methods, guys.)

DerektheRed wrote:
I think this is a wonderful idea. I tried to participate in the Code Geass [as] thread, but I found out that I can't handle watching only one episode at a time. The other problem I have with those fansub/R1 TV threads is that too much discussion goes into who should be the VA/which VA sucked as which character. I would submit that we try to avoid that kind of discussion, and the whole sub/dub thing (just watch whichever you want), and focus more on the story. I mean, how often do book clubs talk about which characters would be best portrayed by Johnny Depp?

That was the whole point of this idea.

A) Sorry to those participating in them, (I'm one of them for [as] shows,) but those threads are inane. People can't talk about anything except "These VAs suck, these VAs rock," or "Wonder what'll happen next week. I don't know. But that one joke this week was funny."

B) Part of that is the new summer season shows aren't necessarily that wonderful. Not much to discuss for moe and shonen action. And the [as] shows aren't watched by many because of disdain for dubs or pre-exposure to the whole show already. (We have actively boring threads for both Code Geass season 1 in English, and season 2 in Japanese. Hee hee.)
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I agree; to make the discussion as open as possible we should adopt a "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy as far as methods go

I'd also like to add a series I've thought of that might be nice

Midori Days - one of very few romance anime I enjoyed, a simple short series (with a good dub too.)

Last edited by BladeDragoonZETA on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about the Mod situation. The likely choices are abunai, Keonyn, Nagisa, selenta, and Zalis. (Haven't noticed Tony K. around here in a few months it seems.) I kind of think it's critical for the mod to want to participate in this discussion if you expect them to do anything more than their normal duties. I think we should come up with a short list of anime that we want to discuss, then let a mod come forward and make the final decision. Just my thoughts...

BTW, I would think abunai is a good choice as well, I would think this is right down his alley...
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I was thinking about the Mod situation. The likely choices are abunai, Keonyn, Nagisa, selenta, and Zalis. (Haven't noticed Tony K. around here in a few months it seems.) I kind of think it's critical for the mod to want to participate in this discussion if you expect them to do anything more than their normal duties. I think we should come up with a short list of anime that we want to discuss, then let a mod come forward and make the final decision. Just my thoughts...

BTW, I would think abunai is a good choice as well, I would think this is right down his alley...

Yeah, I would say Abunai, Keonyn, Zalis, and WOULD say Tony K. except I haven't seen him in a while, either. So I second those.

I also think that democratic decisions on a show would be best, having nominations over the course of, say, one week, then voting over one more week, and having a tie at the top broken by whoever moderates, which should also be someone who has seen the show in question before.

Oh yeah. If we end up choosing a show I've seen all the way through...I wouldn't mind moderating the discussion either. I'd like to, if it's okay with people. Very Happy But just if we choose something I'm familiar with and none of the aforementioned people really want to do it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Not having seen most of the recommended series I can't really second any of the suggestions thus far, but it might be more appealing if more than one show was chosen. If there were "clubs" set up for (i.e.) three series of similar length, each of a different theme, then it'd be more likely that most members would enjoy at least one of them.
However, that'd mean more work for the Mods.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Not having seen most of the recommended series I can't really second any of the suggestions thus far, but it might be more appealing if more than one show was chosen. If there were "clubs" set up for (i.e.) three series of similar length, each of a different theme, then it'd be more likely that most members would enjoy at least one of them.
However, that'd mean more work for the Mods.

-.-'

Yes, that IS an excellent idea. Unless...of course...someone wanted to participate in all three. That'd be a busy somebody! Still, it is a good idea. I would just feel bad for someone who wanted to participate in several of those threads. (By which I mean me.) Wink

The way to go about that isn't very complicated. You would have ONE nomination thread, this 'un, and choose the top three series, with a mod breaking ties.

But if you have three mods, (and you'd need three) that complicates tie-breaking. Anyway, that's my take on it, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 17