• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Strawberry Fields

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, if it's the end of term then it's different. We watched Donnie Darko in Physics. (And also Kill Bill...)
Though I can't really see the merits of replacing a normal class with an anime session. Well, in maths anyway... English is different. Over the course of my GCSE English, we watched the Star Wars trilogy, the Lord of the Flies film, a Simpsons episode, three films of Romeo and Juliet, and a film version of the Man for All Seasons. But it was all to do with our subject!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Education and fun don't mix together.

That is totally not true.

For example, when I was in 4th grade, my teacher gave us a challenge: do 20 book reports, and he would "knight" us at the end of the year and take us to an amusement park as a prize.

Another example is my high school French teacher. He would make classes fun; we'd watch videos, play board games (in French, of course), and make French food. He was one of my role models in high school, and he was the reason why I fell in love with France and French culture.

Two more examples were my 10th and 11th grade History teachers. They let us watch movies related to what we were studying, and made the material fun to learn., such as "When World War 1 started, all the alliances were like 'my alliance is better than yours!' and then they all killed each other." My 10th grade instructor, Ms. VanPilsum, made history extremely enjoyable, and to this day I keep in touch with her (I'm a sophomore in college now).

My 11th grade History teacher was very funny. He showed us what happened when Khrushchev slammed his shoe on the podium at the UN (by actually slamming his own shoe on the podium). He also brought in much of his WW2 collection, which kept the class entertained for quite a while.

Classes don't have to be boring. I've found that when a teacher makes class fun, it becomes much easier to learn the concepts, instead of listening to a teacher drone on and on.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

That is totally not true.

For example, when I was in 4th grade, my teacher gave us a challenge: do 20 book reports, and he would "knight" us at the end of the year and take us to an amusement park as a prize.

Another example is my high school French teacher. He would make classes fun; we'd watch videos, play board games (in French, of course), and make French food. He was one of my role models in high school, and he was the reason why I fell in love with France and French culture.

Two more examples were my 10th and 11th grade History teachers. They let us watch movies related to what we were studying, and made the material fun to learn., such as "When World War 1 started, all the alliances were like 'my alliance is better than yours!' and then they all killed each other." My 10th grade instructor, Ms. VanPilsum, made history extremely enjoyable, and to this day I keep in touch with her (I'm a sophomore in college now).

My 11th grade History teacher was very funny. He showed us what happened when Khrushchev slammed his shoe on the podium at the UN (by actually slamming his own shoe on the podium). He also brought in much of his WW2 collection, which kept the class entertained for quite a while.

Classes don't have to be boring. I've found that when a teacher makes class fun, it becomes much easier to learn the concepts, instead of listening to a teacher drone on and on.

You were lucky, I had some of the worst teachers imagineable. Back in elementary school, I had this teacher who constantly told the class she hated her job and I heard her mutter from time to time "I wish you little brats would shut up". In later years I had a English teacher look like she hated everyone and acted like she was just a pawn of a big company.

I also had a teacher who didn't care about anyone, including herself. She literally acted like she was a person with terminal cancer and would go any minute. Her voice was so listless and low, and her eyes looked so glassly, one could easily she could careless about anything. She always had a gloomy, very depresive face. Because of all this, more than 25 people just stopped coming to class.

However, the work she assigned became so hard, I had a make a choice to either withdraw or stay. I did stay, but the literally became a living hell.

Although I did have some nice, caring teachers, just having the bad teachers I did have does prove my point though. However, the nice teachers weren't push overs, the were strict, but kind.
Nightshrill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
In response TsukasaElkKite and the overall question of material that is not a textbook or "scholarly resource" being relevant to a class, I am definitely inclined to agree that education can be fun. Take History as an example (as TsukasaElkKite), this is generally seen as a very dry, boring, and worthless subject for most secondary school students. This is because of the format of the education system and how overall, and in history in particular, you are taught abstract numbers, dates, and names, only to regurgitate them back onto a test and then immediately forget it all.

It is not unless a student is actually engaged with the material in a practical way that relates to real life as opposed to abstract bull that it becomes even worth knowing, or fun. Bringing in Anime, relevant films, and other mediums that contain references and knowledge relating to a particular subject-matter, such as Case Closed and mathematics as was brought up before, or certain anime showing tradition family structures, cultural emphasis/comparison between American and Japanese culture, etc. Anime is more relevant than to an asian film studies, or an art class.

When education becomes all about statistics, standardized testing, and abstract information you are trained to forget immediately, its not education, but truly a waste of time.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Apparently I am neither creative, nor unique.

Actually, my initial reaction was that they were fans ripping you off ... until I did the search and figured the Globe might not like their reporters pulling that sort of stuff (though you never can tell.)

Quote:
You would think that since the characters have the Ball Tracker, they could just stop the bad guys before it's too late, but maybe it's easier to do damage control than it is to prevent it.

Well, at least they did eventually decide to password them, but I agree that LoJack-only really is just an open invitation to snatch-n-wish.
subaru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
My high school teacher showed us "Grave of the Fireflies" when we were learning about the atomic bomb aftermath in Hiroshima.
bobber205

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I find it funny that the author doesn't know "When" Light will regain his memories. Laughing
driverstart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote
In regards to the DVDs this week, I so want Death Note, but I'm going to hold on until season box set is released. It might just be too expensive to buy the DVDs seperately.

As for the collection, I can't really tell everything in it besides Bleach. I think its cool that a teacher has this kind of stuff in their classroom. I thought it was just cool enough that one of my teachers had an interest in some of my manga, but a teacher who has manga in their classroom is very interesting.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...the series does have a touch of yuri elements...

Understatement of the century there by Bamboo.
ValinorReborn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Although I did have some nice, caring teachers, just having the bad teachers I did have does prove my point though. However, the nice teachers weren't push overs, the were strict, but kind.

Well, since someone brought up logic, I feel obligated to point out that the bad teachers you had do not in fact, prove your point. To prove an absolute ("Education and fun don't mix"), you need to have a complete absence of evidence opposing your statement. So, in fact, you disproved your own point by mentioning the nice teachers you had.

Unfortunately, your statement is true in far too many classrooms. Having been a student for almost 16 years (College Junior, btw) and having worked in a school, I have definitely seen a lot of teachers who couldn't care less about the students and only want the day to end so they can go home. It really makes me wonder why they wanted to be teachers in the first place...

In my opinion, the best (and most effective) teachers are the ones who find new, innovative ways to teach their students, and I for one think that anime/manga is a wonderful medium for this. And as long as it is shown outside class times or before a break or as long as the series/movie/etc contributes to the course topic, I can find no problem with this. I fail to see the difference between showing anime in class and showing movies in class, a practice that (at least in my pre-college experience) is very common.

As for the students who don't like anime, I'm gonna go out on a limb here, at the risk of sounding like an otaku (hmm, gee, I wonder why I would sound like that >_> ), and propose that those students probably have not been exposed to any anime outside of what they see advertised on TV *cough*DBZNaruto*cough*. It has been my experience that the vast majority of people who are that strongly opposed to something, usually do not know very much about it.

That aside, honestly? IT'S SCHOOL! All the student's aren't all gonna be happy all the time! Does the teacher not show a movie because a couple students "don't like it"? No! Does a school stop classes simply because some students are unhappy? No! The whole point of school is to educate the students. To educate them; "to provide [them] with information" (Merriam-Websters). And how do we do that? By exposing them to (hopefully) new information. Information outside of their comfort zones. People never learn anything by staying in their comfort zones. If we all just stayed with what we "like" and are familiar with, no progress would ever be made, and our kids would come out of school knowing no more than they went in with. I for one applaud these teachers. Yes, use anime. Use manga. Use comic books, movies, wikipedia, acting, music, whatever. Do whatever it takes to grab these kids' interest and make them learn (even if they don't think that they are Wink ). And if you introduce them to a diverse and beautiful culture in the process, so much the better. Very Happy

[/RANT]

Last edited by ValinorReborn on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Good to see at least one shelf worthy title this week, though it's still only one and still a series I don't personally care for. Death Note was impressive to start, but man, it just seemed to go downhill a little more every episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lumicite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
First of all, thank you so much for printing my little shelf in Shelf life;I don't know who is more excited, me or the kids.
I read all the comments with both interest and sadness.
School is serious business, education is not to be taken lightly by any means and if you think that for one moment that I, or any other teacher who uses what ever means necessary to get our students to read and ENJOY!!!!! reading, then you are sadly mistaken and woefully misguided.
For the information of many of you, Graphic Novels and manga are now a part of many curricula throughout the country. Many public and school libraries circulate graphic novels and manga, they too find it very difficult to keep the titles on the shelves.
I have been teaching for thirty years, on the day that I begin to believe that I cannot have fun with my students and still be effective I will seriously start thinking about retirement for I will have lost sight of my humanity and my vocation.
Have fun, read manga, watch anime, stay in school!
Mrs. Theresa D. Brown (Fluffy forever)
Lincoln High School
sakura_tenshi
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow wish I had a teacher like that growing up. Though I also had a teacher with a library of books that you could borrow. Anyway I just hope that the teacher has picked appropriate books. I remember an outrage in my area a few years ago about a girl that borrowed "Peach Girl" from a local library and they were bashing manga for weeks on the TVs here. I'm sure that this person does though. From what I could see many of the titles I approve of. I'm so glad that manga is catching on since I was in school. My senior year of high school we were required to read a comic and answer questions based off of it and I was the only one in the class who chose a manga. Now I wonder if it's more like who didn't choose one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not reallly spamming, just forgot I had an account all these years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2