• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Romeo x Juliet, D. Gray-Man

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
So, what's the point in announcing a series a full year before it gets out? What's the advantage for the consumer? None. Subs stopped circulating a long time ago, so there's really no excuse for this questionable announcement.

I'll assume you are only referring to RxJ here, in which case Funimation has made the announcement because they are aware there have been a lot of questions pertaining to when this was going to be officially licensed. In other words, it satisfies the fans who have been looking for information (same can be said of Ouran, obviously).

melonbread wrote:
I think the REAL news here is that Gonzo are letting Funimation release it in boxsets (which is another step from their digital distribution idea). We all knew Funimation had RomeoXJuliet.

Honestly, I don't think these new half-season boxes are big news anymore. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that more shows are being/going to be sold this way, but it's not as if RxJ is the first show to be put on the R1 market in this manner.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
What is with all of these shows being sold in Half-Season box sets?

Is it to get more anime out and available in North America? Does anyone know the reason why these sets have been sprouting up in the past year...with greater frequency?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Is it to get more anime out and available in North America? Does anyone know the reason why these sets have been sprouting up in the past year...with greater frequency?

I think it is just more of an incentive to try to get people to actually buy anime, period. Since in the end it is much cheaper to buy in box set form. And to actually own a physical copy is just an apparent archaic tendency of luddite's like us. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

I think it is just more of an incentive to try to get people to actually buy anime, period. Since in the end it is much cheaper to buy in box set form. And to actually own a physical copy is just an apparent archaic tendency of luddite's like us. Razz

Ah, thanks!

And I enjoy being a Luddite...at least when it comes to books and anime!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Yeah especially with D.Gray-man which is at 83 episodes and is ongoing.
yukikominazuki

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
ummm hey there~
this is my 1st time here and i thought i should just mention this anyways Razz
But yea.. the D.grey-man picture posted is my CG ><
this is my DeviantArt account : http://yukikominazuki.deviantart.com/
Ayy i noticed my logo isnt there Anime cry people keep using it and removing my logo....

Crying or Very sad
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
Finally, I'm also glad that half season box sets must be selling pretty darn well, why else would there be another release like this? I plan on buying both when they release.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I would buy box sets, but aren't they like really expensive?
Katimusha

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Im just glad that D gray-man finally got licensed I thought they would have done it last year but at least its coming out. I was also expecting viz to pick it up since they love grabing those shonen jump titles.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

I'll assume you are only referring to RxJ here, in which case Funimation has made the announcement because they are aware there have been a lot of questions pertaining to when this was going to be officially licensed. In other words, it satisfies the fans who have been looking for information (same can be said of Ouran, obviously).

Well, it doesn't satisfy me. I don't want useless PR, I want facts. The japanese DVDs are all out, I don't see any reason for such long delay (unless, someone fears reverse import over half box sets....).
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow. With all the licenses from FUNi lately, I was hoping in the back of my mind that they'd pick up D.Gray-man or Kekkaishi. Now that D.Gray-man has been licensed (news that made me pump my fists in the air with joy), we just need someone to pick up Kekkaishi.

Oh, and it's great that they finally admitted to having licensed Romeo x Juliet. Now I can finally finish that series in English. Anime smile

Last edited by Jedi General on Sun May 18, 2008 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
A little late to the game on these two if you ask me. They should have struck while the iron was still hot. 2 years for a show like Ouran is 2 years too long. It was massively popular as it was airing, but now I'm not sure that it'll make much money for them.

I bought the first volume of the manga when it was part of the Shojo Beat line launch & have been loving the MANGA ever since. I've yet to see 1 minute of the anime so I am looking forward to it.
I still don't buy into the idea fansub viewers buy all that much anime so who's to say Funi's lost squat?
The climate has changed. The style of release when Ouran was announced was single dvds while now more companies are going box sets of some sort to entice the Ameican buyers they're getting a good deal. If they go with boxes on Ouran (which seems likely) Funi will possibly pull in buyers sooner who would have waited for a box.
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Half series boxes tend to be pretty cheap and even boxsets in general are cheaper to buy than singles.

Examples:
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/XWpKwA2DE2OYl7LB-l/browse/search/5/4/0/0/results/desc/asc/50/1

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/E8JyR7diqqfSvU2h3O/browse/search/5/4/0/0/results/desc/asc/50/1
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Nope. Especially now, box sets are really cheap. Deep discount has the entire 1st and 2nd seasons of GitS for about 62 bucks each (including free shipping!). Box sets are really inexpensive. They released the FMA series in 4 separate sets, and when you buy all of them together it's about 160-200. Still, when you consider that it's two seasons, you're talking about 80-100 per season for a really popular show.

If you buy singles, I guarantee you that 8/10 times you'll be paying more than if you wait for the box set. Then again, it depends on what you want.

Buying the singles usually gets you more extras, the inserts, etc. But box sets are getting better by the day as well.

Anyways, in short: box sets aren't expensive, and you get a lot for your money.
Urd

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but I'd prefer a single box set.

I think I'll wait for a single box set edition. It's not like I'm in a hurry.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6