• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Teases with Shigurui Image

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Well this looks like something that will interest me. Seems like these three titles cover a pretty wide range. Little something for everyone I guess.

On another note, I am guessing that Geneon symbol in the top right hand corner is for Geneon Japan. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
calawain

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to get excited when they have been sitting on Ouran and Darker Than Black for almost a year now without a solicitation =/
ChikaraFire_7

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
While I'm interested in some of these licences I'm with calawain in rathering release dates for the stuff they've already got first

though they may be saving the dates for something bigger maybe..
ganaeshd

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Zhemos88 wrote:
Wonder when they'll license something good?

That would be Shigurui.
nekedo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
While it's nice to see some new titles, I'd like it if they gave us some sort of update on their negotiations to acquire some of Geneon's. Higurashi and Law of Ueki, please.
Zhemos88

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Something good?

Romeo x Juliet
Hayate no gotoku
Vampire Knight
Macross Froniter
Clannad
Manabi Straight
Rental Magica
Shakugan no Shana II
Sky Girls
Spice and Wolf
Tales of Symphonia OVA
Sketchbook full color's
Minami-ke
Bamboo Blade
Ef~ A Tale of Memories
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien OVA
Tsubasa Chronicles OVA

I can name some more if ya want.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Zhemos88 wrote:
Something good?

Have you even seen Shigurui to consider it "not good"? Anyway, based on the shows you listed, you obviously have completely different tastes and shouldn't really have a say. Those series have way higher of a chance to get licensed than something like this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zhemos88

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry. I guess I'm of coming off as an a-hole. I'm just upset that all the shows I want to buy are not getting licensed. ><
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Zhemos88 wrote:
I'm sorry. I guess I'm of coming off as an a-hole. I'm just upset that all the shows I want to buy are not getting licensed. ><

Don't worry; I can totally relate! Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
It's hard to get excited when they have been sitting on Ouran and Darker Than Black for almost a year now without a solicitation =/

You beat me to it.

I'm glad that they are announcing these series. And it is in a rather clever way. But when the hell are they going to announce the release dates for Ouran?
Jaice

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
shigurui wasnt bad but i wasnt impressed with its ending.. or lack there-of.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
I'm with Jaice on this. This show would have been better if it'd actually gone somewhere. The setup during the initial episode was amazing, but it just...stopped after 12 eps. The animation is beautiful, the character designs are great, the music is totally fitting, the katana-slingin' techniques are super dope...but it just didn't work for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's official

They are just announcing the acquisition. I'm sure Funi plans to announce release dates for Ouran and Darker etc. at the big cons. If not, someone here should ask them at their industry panel. It's been my experience that they are at least a little more forthcoming than say, ADV with their "can neither confirm nor deny" line.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
I'm with Jaice on this. This show would have been better if it'd actually gone somewhere. The setup during the initial episode was amazing, but it just...stopped after 12 eps. The animation is beautiful, the character designs are great, the music is totally fitting, the katana-slingin' techniques are super dope...but it just didn't work for me.

That is because the series didn't end. There's way more to the manga and there is still a chance it could have a second series to follow up on.

I watched it and loved how dour and gory the whole thing was. Everything is insanely violent and you can't find a more dour picture of the samurai age even if you tried.

Actually, some scenes are so grotesque and violent that it's hard to forget them. Sorta gives me the shiver. DEFINITELY not for the kiddies, this one.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
While I haven't seen Shigurui yet, it being from the director of Texhnolyze is enough to get me excited about this license.

As the trailer indicates on FUNi's Shigurui website, there is a lot more hyper-violence here than TEX. There's also an abundance of sexual content.

I can't really reveal anything specific as it pertains to significant spoilers, but if a person if very squeamish that I'd recommend considering before picking up the series. I love it, but it's not for everyone.

DKL wrote:
Thank you god.

Laughing

Was wondering if you might pop in here. If there's anything that can get you to posting on these forums, it's something helmed by Oshii, Kon or Hamazaki.

Shippoyasha wrote:
Iron Chef wrote:

That is because the series didn't end. There's way more to the manga and there is still a chance it could have a second series to follow up on.

For that matter, the anime adaption covers the first six volumes of the manga (of which ten volumes are currently available). Depending on its domestic and international (i.e. North American) success, Shigurui may yet see a second season.

It may not have "proper closure," but I can't think of any final episode as mind-numbingly awesome and climatic in recent history -- that fight in episode 12 is absolutely killer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2