• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Shingu

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
Togashi_D wrote:

I wouldn't wait if I were you. The original disks + box + t-shirt is available for $39.99 (which is only $7.00 more than the thinpak at $32.99) and as of now there are only 32 left.

Yeah, good point. I must have checked a little while after you did, because it was 31 from when I went. Thanks for the heads up, though.

Also, thanks for clarification on Shun. I probably wont forget that look for a while.

Add: Huh...and now it's back up to 32 sets. Maybe I was mistaken.
Sakuya Masaki

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
ImaginAsian TV was playing this in the mornings a few months ago. I used to watch a little of it while I got ready for work in the mornings, but I never got to see enough to get into it. What I saw wasn't bad, though. I'll have to look into getting it through Netflix or something. Smile
MARl0

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
I honestly didn't really like this series. I bought the thin pack set when it released, because I had heard such good things about it. But after watching it, I couldn't help but think, "this is it?" I found it quite dull and boring, and the characters to be very uninteresting.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
Huh...I think this is the first Buried Treasure pick that I've seen that I disagree with. I actually *just* rented the first disc about a week ago, and got through the first 3 episodes, and I hate to say it, but I'm absolutely bored to tears by it. I love a good, slow-paced show as much as anyone (big Air fan, right here!) but this show just felt agonizing. And as far as the comments on the character designs go, the designs are actually what drew me to the show in the first place. When I first saw it on the cover of a TRSI catalog, I thought "Hey, that looks interesting! I'll have to give it a shot some day!"

Zalis116 wrote:
the first time I saw the slow, string-filled OP, I thought, "Wait a minute, shouldn't this be the closing song? They're going to mix it up and do a fast-paced rockin' closer, right? Wrong, the ED truly is elevator music in every sense of the word

Yeah, the themes for this show are just terrible, and this is coming from somebody who doesn't even tend to notice them unless they're really, really good or, in this case, really, really bad. That opening theme is difficult to sit through, it's so mindnumbingly boring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
What is the story about the title of the series? The series seems to be called by it's Gakkou Senki Muryou name during the OP credits. Was it referred to Shingu in Japan, or was this a change in it's US release?

It was changed for the US release, because most Americans' eyes will cross when you ask them to pronounce "Muryou". (Plus he's not really even the main character.) It was a tough sell, so they wanted to emphasize the Shingu.

Oops on the Stellvia thing. I'll fix it.

This definitely isn't a show for everybody, but I sure enjoyed it. Smile
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I never really liked Shingu all that much. Overall, I thought it was too bland and shallow (plot-wise) and its lack of distinction made it feel too much like other like sci-fi/slice-of-life shows. Adding in the annoyance of pretty much all of the characters (and their somewhat interesting, yet ultimately run-of-the-mill, designs), the show just felt mediocre and a chore to watch. The dub was bothersome for the first few episodes, but it wasn't too bad afterwards. I suppose the stronger negative aspects of the show could have stifiled much of its dubious points.

The animation style and its decidedly old-fashioned nature probably didn't do Shingu any favors in terms of becoming popular. I can see why a number of critics enjoyed it, but I can also see why it didn't pan out well on either side of the Pacific. It's just one of those type of properties; though for once, I find myself on the side of the latter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'm very happy to see Shingu get a bit of attention. I thought it was a very well-done show. It took me nearly two and a half years to get through it, but I sort of liked that. I didn't feel rushed to finish, I could take things at my own pace. I was able to pop in a disc whenever I felt like it. I have to admit, I did have to marathon the last three discs because I was so impressed with the clever dialogue and solid overall writing.

It's just such a nice series to have on hand when most other "possible world peril" series are so stressfully action-oriented. Definitely not a show for everyone, but a great show nonetheless.

I've been trying to have friends check this series out for a while now, but haven't been able to point them to anything except my opinion. Now I can finally show them something else. Thank-you for writing this.
Grico

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I got the first 2 dvds of this and it seemed pretty enjoyable. I have the rest of the series in the mail from rightstuf. I actually got interested in the series from the animation cels, as they are pretty cheap and plentiful in the US.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I still have the VHS tapes of this show taped off air in Japan by a friend of mine (own the US DVD as well). It's a great little series.

Right Stuf needs to fire whoever comes up with their localized titles though.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I keep seeing this advertised in the Trailers section on most of the DVDs I buy. I'm considering it.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Btw, when you said:

"Even in the way characters speak, the very sentence structure has changed slightly to become more Western, almost as if it were a dialect. (It's impossible to translate this without sounding ridiculous, and Right Stuf's production doesn't even attempt to do so. But if you're learning Japanese, see if you can hear it.)"

What did you mean exactly?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Btw, when you said:
"Even in the way characters speak, the very sentence structure has changed slightly to become more Western, almost as if it were a dialect. (It's impossible to translate this without sounding ridiculous, and Right Stuf's production doesn't even attempt to do so. But if you're learning Japanese, see if you can hear it.)"
What did you mean exactly?

Japanese sentences usually are somewhat opposite order of English, and nouns usually come before verb. For example, "eating curry" (mmmm, curry...) becomes "KAREI wo taberu." A more Shingu way to say that would be "Taberu, KAREI."

This is, of course, WAY oversimplifying it. Even in this terse example, both are valid in current slang Japanese, but people are far more likely to say the former than the latter. In Shingu, more people would probably say the latter. Japanese sentence structure is just a bit more fluid than English that way.

JELEINEN wrote:

Oh, get over it. Anybody who's even casually studied marketing would agree the original name was unworkable in the US. Now, had they called it "BIG CASUAL FUTURE MONSTER BATTLE!!!" I'd be inclined to agree with you...
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
JELEINEN wrote:

There is a recent post here which illustrates exactly why changing the name can be a good idea. I don't see why it is a big deal especially since Right Stuf kept the original credits intact with the original title! Likewise Funimation also keeps the original titles on the alternate angle so changes like Rumbling Hearts (which was legitimized in the game) don't bother me considering the complex original title. It's not like Requiem from the Darkness where the original title is completely replaced and nowhere to be found on the R1 DVD.

Why the title Samurai Troopers which consists of one Japanese word and one English word was changed to Ronin Warriors baffles me especially since the word Samurai is probably as common as Ronin.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
It has mecha saving the world and it ryhmes with Pingu. What could be better?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
It has mecha saving the world

Not so much! Most of the actual saving's done by spoiler[little old lady momoe, who says the right words at the right time to make the right thing happen]. And the rest is done by spoiler[Hajime], who has the same skills. It's really interesting, the skills/behaviours that the text's endorsing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3