• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Not so likable protagonists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like Ed from Fullmetal Alchemist at all. He's such a jerk, and even when spoiler[he 'redeems' himself at the end of the series/movie by saying that he can't keep acting like the world revolves around him and all that,] it doesn't sound at all genuine. His constant screaming (at the short comments, among other things) also got on my nerves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
NocturnalUX wrote:

In a very different manner I don't like Kurono from Gantz but then again I am pretty sure the viewer is not supposed to. His horny ways could be excusable but spoiler[I hated how he managed to be all annoyed at Kei liking Kato...in the middle of the battles. It was just silly but then again given how the cast is prone to just stand around chatting when violent and highly dangerous aliens are prowling instead of promptly shooting them, it probably is an issue with the series itself and not just a Kurono thing. Still, I was glad Kei chose Kato over him even if it was one of the world's shortest lived romances ever.]

I figure most people feel that way about Kurono since he is such a snarky character. Oddly enough, that's why I love him. His inner dialogue is probably pretty close to what a lot of people would really be thinking in many situations. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I can get highly annoyed by the people around me and sometimes my thoughts are not in the least bit charitable. I may not go as far as Kurono but I do feel a certain empathy with his character. spoiler[Teenage boys (and men in general) don't like it when some other guy moves in on their chosen girl, even if they never had a chance to begin with. I found him to be surprisingly realistic and hugely entertaining. I know I'm a bit weird but I'd have picked Kurono over Kato any day. He'd never leave a girl unsatisfied and she'd probably live longer too. Kato spends WAY too much time worrying about whether or not to kill the things trying to tear everyone apart. A girl could eaten during one of his attacks of conscience. Kurono would protect his source of nooky to the death.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't really hate many characters but I've got to agree with the mention of Kurono from Gahtz in fact I just plain hated almost everybody in that series, a large contributing factor to why I didn't enjoy it at all.

I also really grew to hate Makoto Ito from School Days as the series went on who justly and rightly deserved exactly what he got in the last episode for spoiler[being such a bastard and sleeping arround.] Twisted Evil

I also really did not like Suzuka Asahina from Suzuka at all. She's too much of basket case, and always giving off mixed signals being really nice and cute and than a total unlikable super-bitch at the drop of hat. At some points she's downright malicious like spoiler[the scene on the bridge with the fireflies where she asked him to role play how he was going to confess with her, getting his hopes up and then putting him down.] I don't know why but that just makes me really angry. I was really hoping Yamato would just get over her. Suzuka does improve once she sorts herself out though.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:
NocturnalUX wrote:

In a very different manner I don't like Kurono from Gantz but then again I am pretty sure the viewer is not supposed to. His horny ways could be excusable but spoiler[I hated how he managed to be all annoyed at Kei liking Kato...in the middle of the battles. It was just silly but then again given how the cast is prone to just stand around chatting when violent and highly dangerous aliens are prowling instead of promptly shooting them, it probably is an issue with the series itself and not just a Kurono thing. Still, I was glad Kei chose Kato over him even if it was one of the world's shortest lived romances ever.]

I figure most people feel that way about Kurono since he is such a snarky character. Oddly enough, that's why I love him. His inner dialogue is probably pretty close to what a lot of people would really be thinking in many situations. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I can get highly annoyed by the people around me and sometimes my thoughts are not in the least bit charitable. I may not go as far as Kurono but I do feel a certain empathy with his character. spoiler[Teenage boys (and men in general) don't like it when some other guy moves in on their chosen girl, even if they never had a chance to begin with. I found him to be surprisingly realistic and hugely entertaining. I know I'm a bit weird but I'd have picked Kurono over Kato any day. He'd never leave a girl unsatisfied and she'd probably live longer too. Kato spends WAY too much time worrying about whether or not to kill the things trying to tear everyone apart. A girl could eaten during one of his attacks of conscience. Kurono would protect his source of nooky to the death.]

It's not that how he spoiler[feels annoyed over Kato finding favour in Kei's eyes, that bothered me, it's how he managed to get upset over it in the middle of a battle. When your life is on the line and dangerous aliens are about to shred you to pieces I just don't find it believable that *anyone* would care much whether girl A likes your ex-best boyfriend better. But then again I admit that this is a problem with the entire series and is tied directly with the whole "let's stand around talking" syndrome that makes one almost wish that the aliens would kill them all and end the stupidity once and for all]
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
NocturnalUX wrote:

It's not that how he spoiler[feels annoyed over Kato finding favour in Kei's eyes, that bothered me, it's how he managed to get upset over it in the middle of a battle. When your life is on the line and dangerous aliens are about to shred you to pieces I just don't find it believable that *anyone* would care much whether girl A likes your ex-best boyfriend better. But then again I admit that this is a problem with the entire series and is tied directly with the whole "let's stand around talking" syndrome that makes one almost wish that the aliens would kill them all and end the stupidity once and for all]

Yeah, I can see what you mean now. That's a problem with a lot of shows frankly. I've often noticed how the bad guys are very considerate to wait patiently while the "good" guys chit chat. You'd think evil characters would attack while the morons are distracted in the heat of battle.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Light Yagami of Death Note should be in this discussion as well. He wants to be god of his world. The more he kills people with his death note the more corrupt he becomes. This is not a guy who you should cheer for if he were real.
elloshiions

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
ah, i would also have to say light from death note as well. at first it was like alright, he's killing the bad people all over the world, then he goes nuts and kills anyone in his way, basically? like the above said, he becomes more and more corrupt, and L was definitely more cool than he was.
i also didn't like ed from full metal. i like his brother so much more. sure ed is cool and all that, but he doesn't seems to...fulfill much.
Sabut

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I found very annoying too Saya from Blood+ spoiler[Not because she didn't charge the sword but because it seems like she doesn't react at all in all the anime. And when she finally reacts it usually is for rather trivial questions. Furthermore it isn't very normal that her blood killed vampires since the first chapter and at the middle of the anime she is surprised because she isn't human and she gets traumatized ... ] things like that really annoyed me but it was a good series at the end.
skyesage

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Kamui from X TV.
spoiler[Now, I adore him a lot, I think that he is a great character in a lot of ways but he is also incredibly easy to hate, for me. He spends the whole first half of the series being indecisive and rude. He, by far, was not the best character in that series, and just took too much upon himself. I can see why people would hate him...but hey, I'd be pretty messed up if my best friend ended up killing my girlfriend (and the best friend's sister) and being my mortal enemy, too.

That said, I think he should get over himself. He is really self righteous and selfish, and it just drove me up the wall. It was good that X was more of an ensemble piece.]
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Annoying main characters? I definitely nominate Ozora Tsubasa from Captain Tsubasa. Not only is he spoiler[always too optimistic, but sheesh, in the entire series (manga/anime), he has only lost ONCE! He also gets to be friends with the most unlikely people in the world, like bad-tempered Hyuga, ice-cold Schneider and "I-hate-the-rich-guys" Espadas! He is too much of a Gary Stu, and he's not even fanmade. Besides, he copies techniques and no one says a single thing. He's annoying... Myabe that's why many people in the CT fandon don't like him.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Lol

Light's surely my #1 on that list.
I hate him with a burning passion is so many ways <3

But other protagonists I couldn't stand were Makoto from School Days and Flaye from Gundam Seed [even though Kira and Athrun were the main characters...Flaye still hanged around with damn Kira]

Why do I hate Makoto?
Because spoiler[he was nothing but a player that was lusting after every stinkin girl even though he had a damn girlfriend who was trying her best to keep up the relationship. Also with his "well,this is only practice,right?" thing he did with Sekai was just stupid.I can't believe he went along with it. Damn cheater.

Let's just say I was VERY happy (actually with any ending) of him dying. That really pleased me
:3]

And for Flaye, she was just too dilusional and clingy.
She nagged and nagged about almost everything
spoiler[And I was glad she died too.
I don't know what Kira even saw in that girl...ugh]
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
I'm also going to go with the people who said Shinji and Shirou. Shinji of Evangelion for reasons others have said and to add another in that he is an impotent individual. Shirou of Fate/Stay Night because I found his personality boring and didn't like how in some parts of the series he misuses Saber.
Cirno

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
Definitely Light. He never got it through his head that all people have the potential for evil and that therefore you can't purge all the evil from society without killing everyone. What a preachy jackass he could be, too. Though I have to admit there's a lot of fun in watching Light scheme and work out his plans, at least while L is around to keep him busy.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
Shinji is in the lead with 4. Unsurprising there. What came as a surprise is that there are quite a few who hate Edward Elric. Well, I don't like him, personally. I find that he and Alphonse are both warped too much by that particular experience they had, and that they were affected to a point that their decisions are often irrational and leads to frustration with their actions. However, I was under the impression that he was meant to be a generally likable character with some bad decisions.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
Hey how come Naruto Uzumaki doesn't have a number in the vote?

Edit: Okay, that is fixed now.

Last edited by Vuwazy on Mon May 12, 2008 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5