• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
You're Under Arrest :)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy the series, You're Under Arrest. I just got done re watching the original series, the movie, and all of the mini specials. I've been keeping up to date on the new "You're Under Arrest Full Throttle" and I've seen all of the Live Action JDramas.

I was wondering, if anyone could tell me exactly why the region 1 companies never dubbed the second season? I've seen the OVA special and the second season, but I'd really like to have a DvD dubbed version to add to my collection as well.

Does anyone know, with the now completed release of Full Throttle, if any of the North American companies are planning on picking up You're under arrest Full Throttle, and dubbing the second season as well?

I've always seemed to "like" Natsumi Tsujimoto, and would love to see her again. Razz Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sj21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Well i can't help with any questions since i've only seen 2 parts of the first episode, but maybe you could answer some of my questions so the series can have a brand new fan.

Does Natsumi and Miyuki(i believe) carry guns. I know its a stupid question but the first episode doesn't show any guns.

Second, the ann encyclopedia says no blood-is this true. not that i care to much but just wandering, because any series from kosuke fujishima is good.

Last is it good.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
All I (or anyone else) can offer is speculation on the fate of You're Under Arrest in North America, but I'd venture that the first season (and the movie, and the mini-specials) didn't make a big impact on the fandom or the sales numbers when it came out, and that's why nobody decided to release Season 2 over here. Since the second season's been out since 2001 without an NA release, it's reasonable to say that the YUA franchise isn't relevant or "fresh" enough to be worthwhile for the companies. As for Full Throttle, ANN's Fall 2007 Preview Guide had this to say:
Quote:
This would have been a great anime project ... 10 years ago. As it stands, the new You're Under Arrest! feels old already, from its retro dance-pop opener to the bland backgrounds and characters. Sure, Kosuke Fujishima's hot-babes-and-fast-cars aesthetic is still there, but this is clearly a series clinging to the coattails of its glory days.
I don't see much potential for Full Throttle to see release over here, either.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
sj21 wrote:
Does Natsumi and Miyuki(i believe) carry guns. I know its a stupid question but the first episode doesn't show any guns.

They're traffic police and Japanese traffic police aren't armed so, no, they don't carry guns.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
All I (or anyone else) can offer is speculation on the fate of You're Under Arrest in North America, but I'd venture that the first season (and the movie, and the mini-specials) didn't make a big impact on the fandom or the sales numbers when it came out, and that's why nobody decided to release Season 2 over here. Since the second season's been out since 2001 without an NA release, it's reasonable to say that the YUA franchise isn't relevant or "fresh" enough to be worthwhile for the companies. As for Full Throttle, ANN's Fall 2007 Preview Guide had this to say:
Quote:
This would have been a great anime project ... 10 years ago. As it stands, the new You're Under Arrest! feels old already, from its retro dance-pop opener to the bland backgrounds and characters. Sure, Kosuke Fujishima's hot-babes-and-fast-cars aesthetic is still there, but this is clearly a series clinging to the coattails of its glory days.
I don't see much potential for Full Throttle to see release over here, either.

Why must you crush my fanboy dreams like this Zalis? Why? here I was feeling happy as a kid in a candy store that they've made a new YUA series and you gotta come and smash that dream with your hammer of smiting. Damn you Zalis!!!!! What really sucks is you're probably right too. Sad YUA was never a huge fan favorite even back in it's "popular" days. Which is a shame because I always thought it handled the comedic buddy cop routine very well compared to other shows of it's time. I was always unpopular with the thought that YUA was better at that then shows like Dirty Pair, Burn Up, or Gunsmith Cats. I hope you are wrong Zalis and they do decide to bring over Full Throttle because if they don't that would make me a very sad panda.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
All I (or anyone else) can offer is speculation on the fate of You're Under Arrest in North America, but I'd venture that the first season (and the movie, and the mini-specials) didn't make a big impact on the fandom or the sales numbers when it came out, and that's why nobody decided to release Season 2 over here.

I bought mine from TRSI (13 DVDs) for only $130. Considering that this deal has been available for some time and they still have copies in stock it might be safe to assume that this series didn't sell as well as expected.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
All I (or anyone else) can offer is speculation on the fate of You're Under Arrest in North America, but I'd venture that the first season (and the movie, and the mini-specials) didn't make a big impact on the fandom or the sales numbers when it came out, and that's why nobody decided to release Season 2 over here.

I bought mine from TRSI (13 DVDs) for only $130. Considering that this deal has been available for some time and they still have copies in stock it might be safe to assume that this series didn't sell as well as expected.

They came in 3 different boxes each with a bonus disc of extras right? If so I have the same thing.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
I've only seen the movie and the No Mercy OVA. Can't say they really impressed me (a little on the boring side) but I did like the characters and they were occasionally funny. I'm sure it would be better if I started off in at the beginning though.
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
@Sj21 - Natsumi and Miyuki do not carry guns, as they are traffic police. How ever, there are a few episodes where they shoot paint guns.

That truly is disappointing, however, one can only hope I guess. I didn't buy the box sets from here, but these are the same box sets I have http://www.animecornerstore.com/yourunarser.html to answer Psycho's question. I got mine at a place called Media Play, but I doubt they are still around now. I think all that is left of that company is a few suncoast stores. Sad That place was the shiz, used to go there a lot when I was a kid.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and be optimistic, besides one can only dream.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I've only seen the movie and the No Mercy OVA. Can't say they really impressed me (a little on the boring side) but I did like the characters and they were occasionally funny. I'm sure it would be better if I started off in at the beginning though.

I did enjoy the movie, how ever there were parts of the movie I felt were not as up to par as the original tv series. But over all, I would highly recommend this series to someone. It's by far, one of favorites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1