• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Alabama 6th-Grade Boys Arrested for Death Note Book

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angieness

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
It's why it's called Adult Swim. (and yes, I'm aware most of the shows are like TV-14, these kids were 12) Last time I checked they had Death Note on at 12:30 or 1 am or something. The parents should have been monitoring what these kids were watching since clearly they're not mature enough to handle it. They should have noticed their children were watching stuff with warnings of explicit content at 1 am on a Saturday. If it's a matter of the parents not being awake to watch their kids, make them go to bed earlier. (and there's always the lovely parental chip in televisions) And if it's the manga we're talking about, well I wonder who bought them that manga.

I'm not all psycho kids shouldn't be watching tv past a certain time. I always stayed up super late when I was little, by the age of 13 I'd seen my fair share of extremely violent and graphic anime. But the difference here is, I knew better than to go imitate what I saw or write about how I wanted to brutally kill people. Now I'm 23 and I'm obviously not in jail for imitating any anime I've seen because my parents taught me better. I did grow up in the age of Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers, sure I played pretend but I also knew better than to jump off high places, try to use sharp objects, etc.

Some kids are mature enough to handle stuff, others aren't. Yes the kids probably didn't mean to actually kill anyone but I think they're right in taking it seriously. The adults don't understand the anime, they only understand that these children wrote a hit list.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I'll explain this again:

I've never taken written words as a creditable offense. Words just don't hurt people. They aren't physical. if the kids had guns or knifes in their backpacks as they caught them then fine. The school jumped to the panic button way to quickly.

And you're saying this while a girl committed suicide over remarks thrown at her on Myspace?
tidusora

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
When will kids learn?
Writing on a book that implies death in the series will get you in trouble.
It's like writing a kill list, even though you were "Just playing around."
We need to teach these kids that "just playing around" isn't funny, and that bringing things that imply hate or death to school isn't right.

I'm not going to defend these "Death Note" students' actions just because I like anime, I'm going to talk about the situation on a neutral standpoint.

If a student got in trouble because he was reading a manga, it would be ludricous, but this is a situation where someone's implying hate towards the other, which should not be left ignored, which is why I agree with these kids' punishment. It's the only way they'll learn, really. Time-outs don't work on our generation "x."
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
I'll explain this again:

I've never taken written words as a creditable offense. Words just don't hurt people. They aren't physical. if the kids had guns or knifes in their backpacks as they caught them then fine. The school jumped to the panic button way to quickly.

And you're saying this while a girl committed suicide over remarks thrown at her on Myspace?

Well, yeah, words still don't hurt you physically. It didn't tell her to go kill herself. If someone probably said that to her, she probably would've done it anyway. So, I wouldn't say words had killed her, she killed herself. She wasn't forced, she did it out of her own free will.

I will say though, that some people are stronger than others.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Well, yeah, words still don't hurt you physically. It didn't tell her to go kill herself. If someone probably said that to her, she probably would've done it anyway. So, I wouldn't say words had killed her, she killed herself. She wasn't forced, she did it out of her own free will.

I will say though, that some people are stronger than others.

Even if they don't hurt you physically they hurt you mentally. Words are powerful in many ways. One word from the President and he could launch a nuclear missle (an example here). And words aren't just spoken. If they're written down, they can have the same effect to cause a panic attack, or a school shutdown like we have seen.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if there would have been a problem if they'd written "Life Note" on the front of the thing instead of "Death Note"? They obviously weren't paying attention to the series' focus on deceit and misinformation Wink.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I knew that. Your reply to Brit's post kinda flew out there as physical.

I heard about the suicide, really....but honestly, if I were to bring that out, you would probably hate me for what I would say about it.

I'm irritated about this story, because the worst happens when it's not even close to a situation like this, and people don't do crap about it unless it's too late. >.>;

I'm calling this whole article as BS.
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
I'll explain this again:

The girl didn’t kill herself because of the Myspace crap, she killed herself because of the fight she had with her mother. The girl was fighting back agents the crap posted about her on Myspace, she hadn’t given up or given in to it. It took her mother stabbing her in the back to push her over the edge. Parents are supposed to look after their children and be there for them when they need them, not yell at them for trying to defend them selves against others. If you really don’t think the fight she had with her mother a mere 20 minutes before her suicide attempted was the real catalyst for her death then you are a fool.
blodz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
OMG why are kids nowadays so fkng stupid, and this is just another excuse to give anime a bad reputation since they are probably going to blame their doings on anime. correct me if I'm wrong but death note airs about midnight or 1 am, just the fact that they are awake at that time is bad enough already so shouldn't the parents pay more attention to what they are watchin I mean theres something called parental control.
8JF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Britannicamoore wrote:
I'll explain this again:

Words do hurt people, a lot and quite badly. It's very easy to say or write things that are quiet hurtful. Do some research into bullying and see how pervasive a problem words written or spoken can be.

Also, please try making a joke about a bomb in the security line at an airport. I'm certain the audience will greatly enjoy your sense of humour.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
I'll explain this again:

That girl had ADD and depression. Her family life may not have been stable. (Her parents later divorced.) The article also hinted at some problems with the neighborhood family's child. That family created the false account because they wanted to know what the deceased said about their child.

Her death was helped along by what was said online. But really, she was too young for myspace and should have received more counseling and observation. Her medication may have needed adjustment too.
Prodigiosus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
You know, the days of the TV babysitter are WAY over. I certainly had my share of days/nights when the TV put me to bed, but the worst thing that came on was LA Law or M.A.S.H (I'm totally dating myself here.) There was nothing worth watching at 12:30. Hell, most of the stations went to the colored bars at midnight! These kids also could have TiVoed it without having to stay up that late... Actually, now that I think about it, they don't need TV at all. Adult Swim shows episodes of Death Note on their website. Or they could have seen it on youtube or some other website like that. The kids could have watched it at a friends house or at the library! Parents can't control every single thing their kid watches anymore. It's too easy to access everything without a TV.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Words just don't hurt people. They aren't physical.

I couldn't agree more.

Quote:

Wrong, she made up her mind by herself and chose to die by herself. You can't blame someone else for a suicide.

Quote:
Even if they don't hurt you physically they hurt you mentally. Words are powerful in many ways.

Again, words only have the power you give them. In essence what are words? They're a collection of sounds or a series of character symbols. They can only have meaning when we give them meaning, and they only have power when we choose to give them power over us. It is impossible to offend someone with words, they choose whether or not to be offended. And the same goes for that suicide, it is impossible to kill with words. You choose whether or not they affect you.

The only way you can claim to be a victim of words is if you haven't even learned this distinction between false words and reality and for that you'd need to still have the mental development of a five-year-old, which of course more and more people do these days. Verbal abuse is definitely a problem with children but if you're a teenager or adult and still getting upset about words (essentially name-calling) it's time to grow up fast.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
I think people are getting hung up in whether words can hurt people and losing the key point.

It doesn't matter if there is any real threat or not. The point is that you cannot make these kinds of threats. Even if there is no chance of you acting on the threats, there are people who are and people who have in the past. Because of that making these threats is serious and something you cannot do.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
All I have to say on this topic is that yes, the staff overreacted a touch, but that's what schools do. When I was 8 I got an in-school suspension for joking about stabbing some kid. And while it's ridiculous that kids are supposed to learn in such an overprotective environment, that's how schools will always be, and kids need to learn not to do this kind of stupid crap at school. Please, children, leave your Death Notes in the home where they belong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8