• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2024 Manga Guide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeehaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm flabbergasted that they're releasing a Detroit: Become Human manga now. It's been a mere 5 years but it feels like 15
DokoMadeMo
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 2:49 am Reply with quote
A note to the reviewers: on the page for the manga "At 25:00 in Akasaka" every instance of the title contains a typo, namely, Asakasa, which is preventing a green link to the manga page in the encyclopedia. If someone could fix that it would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 6:36 am Reply with quote
DokoMadeMo wrote:
A note to the reviewers: on the page for the manga "At 25:00 in Akasaka" every instance of the title contains a typo, namely, Asakasa, which is preventing a green link to the manga page in the encyclopedia. If someone could fix that it would be appreciated.

Fixed.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 7:42 am Reply with quote
I've already read a couple of the listed titles (Crossdressed and Broken Engagement) and I have to say the reviews are consistent with my reactions. Based on the reviews I've ordered some titles I overlooked when they were solicited.

Concerning Broken Engagement, this is the third title I've read that uses the work "Saint". I do wish there was a better translation for what ever Japanese word is being used. All three are super mages and two have a healing specialty. However none have any relationship to a specific religion. Great Mage, or sorceress perhaps?
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 8:08 am Reply with quote
Nukozuke! definitely DOES have a plot outside of just Yuya and the nukos taking care of each other. The series actually has a decently large cast of revolving characters; it’s just that this volume is mostly focused on establishing Yuya, Kei, and Sasame’s dynamic. The series is still a slice of life, but a lot of the characters have more going on than first impressions would imply, especially Yuya. The series can get surprisingly serious and emotional without ever getting too lost in the drama to forget its primary draw is being fluffy and sweet. It legit made me cry at one point back when I first read it (going by the amount of chapters in this volume, I think that part should be around volume 4 or 5). So if the first volume, didn’t do it for you, I suggest still sticking with it for another volume or two to see if they are more your speed.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 8:21 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I've already read a couple of the listed titles (Crossdressed and Broken Engagement) and I have to say the reviews are consistent with my reactions. Based on the reviews I've ordered some titles I overlooked when they were solicited.

Concerning Broken Engagement, this is the third title I've read that uses the work "Saint". I do wish there was a better translation for what ever Japanese word is being used. All three are super mages and two have a healing specialty. However none have any relationship to a specific religion. Great Mage, or sorceress perhaps?

Maybe they could've used Holy Woman, but the original japanese titles has the word "holy/saint" (sei), which is not the same at all as Magic/Magical (ma)
I guess is the same way the characters of Saint Seiya are well, Saints and everybody thought it was strange, so in the translations they called them "Knights".
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:02 am Reply with quote
Nukoduke's extremely cute.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 11:29 am Reply with quote
It was a while ago but the synopsis for "I Crossdressed" on Kodansha USA's own website put the main character in a not so positive light. All 3 reviewers praised this title much more favorably without implying the main character has an agenda that someone at Kodansha apparently has. I sent them an email I never heard back from, but the synopsis was thankfully changed now that I checked. Probably just an honest mistake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1