• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Professional Cosplayer Enako Tells Fans: Saying 'You Look Like AI' Is Not a Compliment

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AverageAnimeFan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 1:42 am Reply with quote
This read like AI.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 2:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Although the professional cosplayer is not directly commenting on the ethical use of generative AI, the technology, or at the very least, the commentary about her looking like AI, is frustrating her.

This paragraph doesn’t make sense as it’s written.
milkyy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 2:32 am Reply with quote
SinisterOracle wrote:
Quote:
Although the professional cosplayer is not directly commenting on the ethical use of generative AI, the technology, or at the very least, the commentary about her looking like AI, is frustrating her.

It makes sense in a "did they record this out loud and have it typed out?" kind of way. But I would tend to agree.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 2:57 am Reply with quote
Telling someone they look "so good they could be ai" is IMO, a deliberate way to break someone down psychologically. It deliberately sends the message that you are replaceable. Not just replaceable, but mass-replaceable.

It's sort of like how coomery men tell women they look good enough to have an onlyfans.
Bvick00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:12 am Reply with quote
Telling someone they look like AI is just a straight up insult rather than a compliment.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 4:10 am Reply with quote
AverageAnimeFan wrote:
This read like AI.

Every single ANN article with bizarre unnatural phrasing is written by the author of this article, Ken Iikura-Gross. I read something that sounds strange and check the author and it's 100% them without fail. There's no way to phrase that politely, without sounding like I'm insulting an author, but like, it's still true.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 9:20 am Reply with quote
I would imagine not.
hops

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 10:04 am Reply with quote
SinisterOracle wrote:
Quote:

It's just the run-on commas. Like, it parses to me semantically and grammatically, but it's not really the kind of sentence you could get away with in a paper. I think saying it reads like AI is a little harsh though, I'm sure we've both seen some *actually* garbled shit out there.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Bvick00 wrote:
Telling someone they look like AI is just a straight up insult rather than a compliment.

I certainly haven't seen it used positively, but I could see it turning into some sort of backwards sounding compliment like, "This is so good that I can't believe it."
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Bvick00 wrote:

I certainly haven't seen it used positively, but I could see it turning into some sort of backwards sounding compliment like, "This is so good that I can't believe it."

that's not really a compliment, because by setting AI up as the benchmark for success/quality, you're making success/quality literally unobtainable because a human being can never be an AI.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Telling someone they look "so good they could be ai" is IMO, a deliberate way to break someone down psychologically. It deliberately sends the message that you are replaceable. Not just replaceable, but mass-replaceable.

Disagree. It means that such fans are trying to give compliments but:
* AI means vastly different things to its fans vs detractors
* people often get nervous and say stupid things at signings
* given the venue, they were probably socially awkward to begin with

Anyone who thinks that's a compliment does need to get away from the computer and touch grass. Even so, no harm was intended. I think we've probably all gotten compliments that irritated rather than pleased us. IMO it's best just to take them in the spirit offered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1