• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hiro Mashima Confesses That Fairy Tail Was Born Out of His 'Loneliness'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrisPNatz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A Wolverine cosplayer tossed the mangaka the question that unexpectedly punched an emotional gut. Did Mashima base Fairy Tail, a story of friendship, on his personal life? That's when he spilled it: “To tell you the truth, I wrote the story cause I had no friends. My loneliness is what you're seeing.” Of course, the room raised their hands to offer to be his friend.

As if this series doesn't make me cry enough as is.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I would totally love a proper Rave Master anime remake.
Swami.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Amazing how art can connect all of us
animaters

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 8:44 pm Reply with quote
honestly, i believe that fairy tail is one of the shows where u just watch for fun and turn ur brain off and u're gonna have a blast with it. sure, the filler and fan service may be annoying at times but they are avoidable if you know how to. and it's ur nice run of the mill cookiecutter nowhere different than the big three at times so there's that
48 Rices

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is why we see the theme of friendship being emphasized in the series?
benzone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I am happy that he wrote an earnest optimistic tale about Lucy etc. gaining friends as opposed to a cynical work where a lonely kid gets to wreak cruel vengeance on boys more popular than he is and girls who won't date him (which seems to be the fodder for a good chunk of isekai shows).
benzone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 9:57 pm Reply with quote
animaters wrote:
honestly, i believe that fairy tail is one of the shows where u just watch for fun and turn ur brain off and u're gonna have a blast with it. sure, the filler and fan service may be annoying at times but they are avoidable if you know how to. and it's ur nice run of the mill cookiecutter nowhere different than the big three at times so there's that

Fairy Tale was supposed to end after the 5th arc. (It is currently on arc 27).
benzone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 10:10 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Rave Master had its chances. But ... the source material ended after 35 volumes, the anime adaptation ended after 51 episodes in Japan, and it didn't do much when aired first on Cartoon Network and then on the Sci-Fi Channel. Its physical media and merchandising didn't do well, and none of the streaming services, not even the FAST channels like Tubi and RetroCrush, have made a play for it even though it has already aired twice in the west. Yes, there are licensing issues, but those can be ironed out by those determined to do so - not nightmarish stuff i.e. rightsholders gone bankrupt and lawsuits by different parties claiming to own the rights - but no one has because there has been no real evidence of demand for it. Even the success of his later material hasn't created a retroactive demand for it like you sometimes see.

I am thinking that Rave Master is what everyone CLAIMS to like because it mostly lacks what Mashima found actual success with later ... stuff that sophisticated anime fans invest a significant portion of their fandom into loudly and vocally hating at every opportunity.
MV081199

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 4:12 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

J.C.Staff is now doing Edens Zero and Fairy 100. It would be nice if they did a new Rave Anime and then a Heroes crossover.
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 6:42 am Reply with quote
I'm not really a fan of Fairy Tail or Mashima's other series, but you can tell that he is very passionate and dedicated about his work. Not every mangaka achieves so much success at his age. He's a cool guy.
lealex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:35 am Reply with quote
benzone wrote:
animaters wrote:

That's a misunderstanding. People assume Phantom Lord was meant to be the final arc because Mashima was planning to end it in ten volumes, and Phantom Lord ended barely after nine volumes. The thing is, that ignores Mashima's statement in Volume 5 that he started Phantom Lord earlier than he expected (he was saving a guild-on-guild war for later in the story) because he was just so pumped up about it that he dove into it more or less on the spot. That's not something you say when you're gearing to end the story to reach a set number of volumes.

Not to mention, Mashima's plans to make it 10 volumes long ended pretty much as soon as he started writing Chapter 1. By that time, his brain started churning out more and more new characters and stories for Fairy Tail than he started out with. In fact, Gray's story arc (which came before Phantom Lord) was being saved for later, but Mashima got it done near the start because Gray got a wave of fans he never anticipated.

That's the kind of creative process Mashima had when writing Fairy Tail. Apart from Natsu's backstory and other fragmentary ideas, everything you see in Fairy Tail came to him after the first chapter. That's what set it apart from his other stories: Rave Master with its strict plotting and planning from the outset, and Edens Zero with its goalposts set in stone and everything in between being improvised.
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:59 am Reply with quote
benzone wrote:
animaters wrote:

And Eiichiro Oda originally wanted One Piece to end in 5 years. Your point?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1