• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Wonderful Precure! Episodes 25-36 Anime Series Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nev999

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2024 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I think pretty much every season makes it clear the Cures are more important than the battles they're fighting, so I don't really get framing it as a "difference". There's always a heavy focus on relationships and character, with the fights usually being vehicles to express the characters growth/relationships/teamwork. The fights in Precure are nice, but it's far from like, the particular type of shonen that puts multi-episode battles first, they're usually a pretty short part of each episode except in special cases/finales/etc.

There's also usually a very redemptive "healing" element even in the more violent battles, villains in Precure tend to get redeemed and reasoned with, so even if there's violence, the focus on strategy and pacification isn't super different from what Wonderful does. The motif of understanding animals and focusing on human-animal relationships is fun and new, but I wouldn't call it like, incredibly groundbreaking for the franchise.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2024 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful Precure went from worst season to must watch every week for me with its second half.
YackDe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
I think pretty much every season makes it clear the Cures are more important than the battles they're fighting, so I don't really get framing it as a "difference". There's always a heavy focus on relationships and character, with the fights usually being vehicles to express the characters growth/relationships/teamwork. The fights in Precure are nice, but it's far from like, the particular type of shonen that puts multi-episode battles first, they're usually a pretty short part of each episode except in special cases/finales/etc.

People have been poisoned from seeing a few choice clips from Max Heart and just assume the series must be "DBZ for girls" when that's always been a tertiary thing. Ironically Max Heart suffered heavily because of this, since little to nothing was done in terms of advancing Nagisa and Honoka as characters and a bunch of plots were just plots from the original season but handled worse.

Anyways, Wonderful has been great from the start to now. It's a shame some people had to take half the season to get over themselves and accept the conceit of what the show is doing.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2024 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
/quote]People have been poisoned from seeing a few choice clips from Max Heart and just assume the series must be "DBZ for girls" when that's always been a tertiary thing.

I literally got flashbacks of when fans were screaming about the lack of combat and insisting that Pretty Cure was forever ruined because of ONE SEASON'S decision to try something new (because people weren't saying the same thing last year with Tsubasa Rolling Eyes ).
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2024 5:17 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
Nev999 wrote:

People have been poisoned from seeing a few choice clips from Max Heart and just assume the series must be "DBZ for girls" when that's always been a tertiary thing. Ironically Max Heart suffered heavily because of this, since little to nothing was done in terms of advancing Nagisa and Honoka as characters and a bunch of plots were just plots from the original season but handled worse.

Anyways, Wonderful has been great from the start to now. It's a shame some people had to take half the season to get over themselves and accept the conceit of what the show is doing.

I get trying to be the voice of reason and say fights arent everything, but I DONT like this "Oh fights arent part of Precure's appeal at all!" Fights are a BIG part, even if the characters and their development are more important than the fights. What really happens here is that the best Precure seasons ARE NOT fight fests like Max Heart but rather have clever interesting character building and development, but the crop of the crop Precure seasons build the fights around the character development. It is pretty telling most of the hype moments on Precure are fights where character development reaches its peak.

So no, fights arent everything but they ARE IMPORTANT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1