• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cardfight!! Vanguard DivineZ Deluxe-hen Anime Revealed for Debut in January 2025

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 3:15 am Reply with quote
Nice it won't stop after next year's 9th, I felt like this was going to happen, the season which just ended wasn't really among the best but this last episode is one the best all Vanguard's season included. I hope we will get an all star season someday with all the character we had after since Gaiden : If ended.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 5:36 am Reply with quote
Such great plans!
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 8:46 am Reply with quote
In some ways, Cardfight has had a more impressive run than Yu-Gi-Oh!
LukaTheLancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I am so behind on this show. of overdress i have only seen season 1, i have watch eveything before hand, and was one of the show that got me back into anime as well as being social (it was the only card game beside MTG that got played at my local card shop)
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 2:20 pm Reply with quote
LukaTheLancer wrote:
I am so behind on this show. of overdress i have only seen season 1, i have watch eveything before hand, and was one of the show that got me back into anime as well as being social (it was the only card game beside MTG that got played at my local card shop)

If it helps, the first season of the current series is easily the worst.
YackDe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 3:08 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame the direction the D series has taken. Started by actually trying to do something different than what Yugioh has been doing for 20+ years, but enough people cried about having episodes focused on developing characters relationships instead of a match and not doing 1:1 play-by-play of every move, while also keeping things grounded in reality. Now we're stuck with incredibly tepid seasons following the same stale formula while introducing the same kinds of evil spirits and battles for the fate of the world we've been seeing since the Bush administration. Now we're back to a tournament, aka the premise for the worst season of D so far.

Think it says a lot that WIXOSS can deviate from the formula so much to critical acclaim because it was watched by people who just watch anime generally, while Vanguard is cursed with card game obsessives who balk at the slightest bit of change.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 4:05 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
It's a shame the direction the D series has taken. Started by actually trying to do something different than what Yugioh has been doing for 20+ years, but enough people cried about having episodes focused on developing characters relationships instead of a match and not doing 1:1 play-by-play of every move, while also keeping things grounded in reality.

Vanguard has never been grounded in reality, even if we go back to the very beginning of the franchise (the original Ito manga) Once the concept of PSYQualia was introduced into the OG series, the whole 'grounded' aspect went out the window. The difference with it and the shows and seasons after it were that the supernatural/all the Cray stuff was introduced slowly versus being instant. But then again, the OG show also ran the second longest (only falling to G's total episode count iirc but the OG series did have the Neon Messiah movie.) so it could afford to do that. None of D has had the pleasure of running for 100+ episodes. Even V struggled to reach 100 with having to introduce the new anime-only episodes for the High School arc, the anime-original Shinemon arc and IF.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 4:37 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
It's a shame the direction the D series has taken. Started by actually trying to do something different than what Yugioh has been doing for 20+ years, but enough people cried about having episodes focused on developing characters relationships instead of a match and not doing 1:1 play-by-play of every move, while also keeping things grounded in reality. Now we're stuck with incredibly tepid seasons following the same stale formula while introducing the same kinds of evil spirits and battles for the fate of the world we've been seeing since the Bush administration. Now we're back to a tournament, aka the premise for the worst season of D so far.

Think it says a lot that WIXOSS can deviate from the formula so much to critical acclaim because it was watched by people who just watch anime generally, while Vanguard is cursed with card game obsessives who balk at the slightest bit of change.

The immediate pivot away from OverDress' style suggests that show failed in building an audience beyond the TCG regulars. That's ultimately more of the material's failure than the concept, but still. If the only people watching are the TCG fans, then there's no point in making a show that isn't appealing to them. That first season felt like it was made for no one. The heavy yaoi/fujo pandering early on seemed like it was designed to repel the male audience buying Bermuda Triangle sets. On the flip side, the haphazard integration of duels seemed like it would alienate anyone not already familiar with the TCG. It wasn't until willDress that the writers realized they probably should explain the rules to any new viewers.

I do think the shift to seasonal productions has hurt the show dramatically. It's very obvious that they have hard 13-episode arcs planned out, but between the constant new character introductions, the duels and the main plot, there's very little time for development. I haven't seen DivineZ's second season yet, but so much of the character threads in OverDress and willDress were just tossed aside with nothing resembling a satisfactory conclusion.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Personally as someone who likes card game anime but only watched a couple of dozen episodes of the original series I was drawn to the first season of Overdress because of the focus on the slice of life and BL shipping moments and also because of the CLAMP design connections. I did drop off the show but it was moreso because it was becoming overwhelming keeping up with everything when I already watch Digimon and Yugioh moreso than the content being boring or whatever but I keep meaning to go back to it. The fanboys who can't handle any ship teasing in their show are weak willed and won't survive the winter especially how many shonen manga do ship teasing whether intentionally or not.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 7:01 pm Reply with quote
The ship teasing isn’t even a new thing, there was a lot of yuri bait in the G sub-series between the two idol characters.
YackDe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 9:13 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
YackDe wrote:
It's a shame the direction the D series has taken. Started by actually trying to do something different than what Yugioh has been doing for 20+ years, but enough people cried about having episodes focused on developing characters relationships instead of a match and not doing 1:1 play-by-play of every move, while also keeping things grounded in reality.

Vanguard has never been grounded in reality, even if we go back to the very beginning of the franchise (the original Ito manga) Once the concept of PSYQualia was introduced into the OG series, the whole 'grounded' aspect went out the window. The difference with it and the shows and seasons after it were that the supernatural/all the Cray stuff was introduced slowly versus being instant. But then again, the OG show also ran the second longest (only falling to G's total episode count iirc but the OG series did have the Neon Messiah movie.) so it could afford to do that. None of D has had the pleasure of running for 100+ episodes. Even V struggled to reach 100 with having to introduce the new anime-only episodes for the High School arc, the anime-original Shinemon arc and IF.

Which is why I said it was refreshing that Overdress was just a show about regular people with the biggest moment of drama centered around a guy burning a flag, because basically no other TCG anime has moved away from sci fi/fantasy since Yugioh became big (including Vanguard). And then they buckled to criticism from people scared of change and so pivoted back to AI and then an evil spirit from Cray wanting to infect the Earth.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 4:32 am Reply with quote
The fujo pandering obviously didn't make me quit the show if I've seen enough of it to complain about the poor character writing. It's just that going from a franchise with a waifu clan to the opposite is a pretty extreme switch. OverDress' first season was far more overt in that regard than any Aichi x Kai teasing in the past.

Like many things with the D series anime, that aspect was completely dropped, so I assume Bushiroad felt the audience wasn't keen on it. We never even got a spoiler[catharsis episode where Yuyu finally tells his sister off for forcing him to wear women's clothing.]
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:04 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Like many things with the D series anime, that aspect was completely dropped, so I assume Bushiroad felt the audience wasn't keen on it. We never even got a spoiler[catharsis episode where Yuyu finally tells his sister off for forcing him to wear women's clothing.]

I’m glad that sub-plot was ditched; it wasn’t even funny back in the 2000s, let alone now. An apology would’ve been nice…but best to let it be forgotten.
InfinitySamurai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:39 am Reply with quote
[quote="Primus"]
YackDe wrote:

I do think the shift to seasonal productions has hurt the show dramatically. It's very obvious that they have hard 13-episode arcs planned out, but between the constant new character introductions, the duels and the main plot, there's very little time for development. I haven't seen DivineZ's second season yet, but so much of the character threads in OverDress and willDress were just tossed aside with nothing resembling a satisfactory conclusion.

Overdress and Willdress felt like whoever wrote it had a script planned out for a long running anime but then were told last minute it's a 12 episode seasonal anime now. Willdress especially would have benefited a lot if it was a 50/52 episode anime from all the character introductions it had to do for the tournament.

Thankfully Divinez seems to have been planned out properly since we've had 2 solid seasons. While it definitely feels like they know how to handle it now, i'm still not looking forward to another tournament arc because of what they did in Willdress.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1