• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Game Show 2024 - Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake Converted Me into a Dragon Quest Fan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:23 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear this is looking good, although I feel the need to point out...
Quote:
If you're like me and don't enjoy random encounters, you can automate all those “tedious” battles. Like a very simplified gambit system from Final Fantasy XII, every player turn you have the option to automate or manually input commands during combat. Those automated options include choices like “fight aggressively”, “fight smart”, or “focus on healing”.

This has been a feature of the series all the way back to Dragon Quest IV on the NES, where in fact, in the final chapter, you could only give commands to your main character; the entire rest of the party was always controlled by AI. Nearly every game since then has given you the option to switch between manual input or different AI styles.
milkyy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:36 am Reply with quote
Yes, come the the DQ side Surprised
Amritzer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:46 am Reply with quote
I wonder in what way have they remade Dragon Quest I.

Not that long ago I played original NES version, and while I really liked it for what it is, it IS very basic (one could say that it is for JRPGs, what Super Mario Bros. is for platformers), and outdated at this point.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:10 pm Reply with quote
At the very least, I'm glad someone new is enjoying it. I'd love to recommend some of the other titles in the series, but in truth, full-voice isn't something that all of them have. The writing & accents of each character's regional dialect is always charming to the point that it's a travesty most DQ games are text-only.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:07 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
At the very least, I'm glad someone new is enjoying it. I'd love to recommend some of the other titles in the series, but in truth, full-voice isn't something that all of them have. The writing & accents of each character's regional dialect is always charming to the point that it's a travesty most DQ games are text-only.
And may whatever you believe in help you if you play the 3DS version of DQ7.I spent more time in some dialog boxes than some battles because I couldn't understand what they were saying because in one instance I believe it was European Spanish mixed with heavy what I assumed was Wlesh mixed with Scottish!

Still glad to see more people wanting to try Dragon Quest games! If DQ8 is FFVII, Then depending on who you ask DQIII is considered FFVI or FFIV (DQ V is considered in the conversation). I personally find DQIX heavily underrated in the entire series because it came the closest to being like DQIII.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:16 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
And may whatever you believe in help you if you play the 3DS version of DQ7.I spent more time in some dialog boxes than some battles because I couldn't understand what they were saying because in one instance I believe it was European Spanish mixed with heavy what I assumed was Wlesh mixed with Scottish!

Not as bad as having Keifer’s sister speaking with a lisp. Which requires at least 3 readings to understand her dialog.
TsarPlatinum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I will also never understand why official DQ localization went with the dialog it did. Yangus in 8 was nigh ununderstandable. Do people actually like them giving everyone thick, unpenetrable accents?
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:27 am Reply with quote
TsarPlatinum wrote:
I will also never understand why official DQ localization went with the dialog it did. Yangus in 8 was nigh ununderstandable. Do people actually like them giving everyone thick, unpenetrable accents?

At this point, it's part of the presentation. The original Dragon Quest ("Dragon Warrior", in those days) gave everyone faux-Shakespearean Olde English dialogue, which is now canon to the Tantagel region. They've been doing the overdone accents in Dragon Quest ever since Dragon Quest VIII was released on PS2, and for the most part DQ fans (all 20 of us) love it. DQ8 also had the advantage of voice acting to help make the dialogue easier to understand. It's like the puns: DQ isn't DQ without it.

Remaking DQ3 makes a lot of sense, since it's "the big one" for DQ fans. It's the game that made the series actually pop-off, and it's the one that's stuck in cultural consciousness the most (anytime you see an isekai hero with a circlet and a teal outfit: they're channeling the vibes of the DQ3 hero). DQ3 is also the most "sophisticated" of the Erdrick/Roto trilogy; DQ1 and 2 are good, but they're much simpler in comparison (hence why they're packed together so often). Heck, just this weekend I saw Jeremy Parish talk about Dragon Quest 1's localization (and how Nintendo could have avoided a massive loss if they had localized Dragon Quest 3 in the first place instead of the first one).
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:56 am Reply with quote
I still call the game Dragon Warrior. It honestly sounds cooler to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1