• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 8 volumes, written by SunSunSun, illustrated by Momoco)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Doga Kobo

Genres: comedy, drama, romance

Themes: ecchi, love triangle, Russia, school

Plot Summary: Masachika Kuse sits next to Alya, a girl of Russian and Japanese descent. She's beautiful, haughty, and an exceptional student, while Masachika is nerdy and known for being a slacker. He's an easy target for her comments in Russian, which she's all too happy to translate—except he can understand what she's really saying.

Air Date & Platform:
July 3, 2024 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:19 am; edited 4 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, seems like this will be a fun time. There are plenty of cliches to be found like the childhood friend bonus going on strong and the panty flash that cannot be avoided. Besides those we have some solid characters that have actual distinct quirks and a bit of chemistry. It is also refreshing to have a mc that can talk to a girl or two without having a stroke. Finally, the animation looks rather nice.

Nothing amazing, but good/entertaining enough to watch more.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:10 pm Reply with quote
That was the most fun I've had watching a harem comedy in a while. I think Smurky's right about the tropes - I'm pretty sure the otaku friend that the MC is communicating with will turn out to be a female, for just one example, and the vaguely remembered, much sought after childhood friend who just happens to be closer than you think is also anime canon fodder at this point.

Alya's biting insults were funny, and that made the contrast between tsundere modes funny amusing instead of cliche. She also wasn't too overboard. She admitted being friends, for example, and apologized on occasion, sincerely, without stammering.

The MC was neither too pure or too perverted, too stupid or too annoyingly ultra competent. Not a complete Otaku or a complete asshat. Instead of any of that, he came across as a relatively real person who can be sardonic or selfish at times but can also be considerate.

Yah, I'm in.
zfunk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:21 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of Quintuplet series with the whole childhood friend who the main character piece together is the female lead.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:17 am Reply with quote
Imma wondering if the childhood friend is Alya's sister.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:40 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't matter if you use established tropes. It is the manner in which you use them. So far so good.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
It doesn't matter if you use established tropes. It is the manner in which you use them.

Preach it, anime brother Wink I've got my hands in the air - metaphorically anyway...I mean, I am typing this...and I'm swaying and trying to remember how to spell Hallelujah.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:45 am Reply with quote
Huh, episode 2 did not go as I expected. Yuki being the mc's sister and quite the shit disturber with a colorful personality to boot has changed things considerably. I assumed that Yuki might be a love rival to Alya but instead she keeps everybody around her on their toes by being unpredictable and mischievous. I think it makes for a more interesting show since Yuki will deliberately stir things up. Student council wise it seems like there is some history for the mc there and Alya and Yuki will have to duke it out later on.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Yuki reminds me a little bit of the employer in Mayo Chiki for some reason.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:39 pm Reply with quote
This was the tame version of Yuki. In the novel, spoiler[ when Masachika arrives home Yuki jumps out of the bathroom stark naked. He gets a full frontal look. She does the usual eke a pervert and he just says to knock it off that she had been waiting for him to do that.]

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added. -TK]
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, we now know what underwear Alya/Arisa wears. Show needs an ecchi tag if it does not already have one.
#Sparki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Show needs an ecchi tag if it does not already have one.

Anime is quite tame in ecchi show terms.

As for the show itself i'm actually pleasantly surprised. Shows with quircks in their name tend to be too focused on them and become boring very quickly. Alya on the other hand is interesting enough even without it, and other characters seem to be quite enjoyable too.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:11 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Well, we now know what underwear Alya/Arisa wears. Show needs an ecchi tag if it does not already have one.

I was contemplating an ecchi tag after the first episode with the panty peak. But yeah, episode two definitely earned it.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:42 am Reply with quote
I like the interaction of the leads so much that I find myself hoping the anime goes easy on the harem tropes that are emerging. So far they've done a pretty good job of not turning the characters into ridiculous caricatures. The MC isn't a complete otaku or slacker, and he isn't doing some perverted gloating,when Alya speaks Russian. He originally stayed silent because he didn't want to embarrass her, and now it's turning into this huge thing. How's he supposed to tell her he speaks Russian now? His discomfort is part of the reason it's funny.

And Alya dials it back and apologizes when she goes too far or makes wrong assumptions. To me, she comes across as a smart, decent person, not a trope.

So I hope that the little sister really is just a bored mischief maker who's too smart for her own good, not a full on bro con. And I hope the big sister and Alya don't become estranged rivals.

I do hope they expound on the big sister's background story a bit more though. I find myself wondering how the hell the MC learned Russian. If it was taught to him by a friend when he was a little kid, they must have spent a lot of time together. And if that's so, why doesn't he recognize her?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:27 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Quote:
I find myself wondering how the hell the MC learned Russian.

In the novel version, spoiler[ it says he spent time when he was young living with his paternal grandfather. The grandfather loved Russian movies so he learned Russian to watch with his grandfather. Later he met his first love (still at grandfather's) which gave him an extra incentive to learn and use Russian. The anime version simplifies this a bit too much.

It is also mentioned that he was considered his family's child prodigy and a genius. Which is why he learned Russian so fast. Later when his parents divorced he went with his father and gave up on being a high achiever. This left his younger sister to uphold the (mother's) family name as an overachiever.]

This is why I keep saying that you have to read the novel version for full details, read the manga version for the artwork and watch the anime version for color, motion and sound.

[EDIT: Please use spoiler tags for stuff that hasn't been revealed in the anime, yet. Thanks. -TK]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4