• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 8 volumes, written by SunSunSun, illustrated by Momoco)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Doga Kobo

Genres: comedy, romance

Themes: school

Plot Summary: Masachika Kuse sits next to Arya, a girl of Russian and Japanese descent. She's beautiful, haughty, and an exceptional student, while Masachika is nerdy and known for being a slacker. He's an easy target for her comments in Russian, which she's all too happy to translate—except he can understand what she's really saying.

Air Date & Platform:
July 3, 2024 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, seems like this will be a fun time. There are plenty of cliches to be found like the childhood friend bonus going on strong and the panty flash that cannot be avoided. Besides those we have some solid characters that have actual distinct quirks and a bit of chemistry. It is also refreshing to have a mc that can talk to a girl or two without having a stroke. Finally, the animation looks rather nice.

Nothing amazing, but good/entertaining enough to watch more.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:10 pm Reply with quote
That was the most fun I've had watching a harem comedy in a while. I think Smurky's right about the tropes - I'm pretty sure the otaku friend that the MC is communicating with will turn out to be a female, for just one example, and the vaguely remembered, much sought after childhood friend who just happens to be closer than you think is also anime canon fodder at this point.

Alya's biting insults were funny, and that made the contrast between tsundere modes funny amusing instead of cliche. She also wasn't too overboard. She admitted being friends, for example, and apologized on occasion, sincerely, without stammering.

The MC was neither too pure or too perverted, too stupid or too annoyingly ultra competent. Not a complete Otaku or a complete asshat. Instead of any of that, he came across as a relatively real person who can be sardonic or selfish at times but can also be considerate.

Yah, I'm in.
zfunk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:21 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of Quintuplet series with the whole childhood friend who the main character piece together is the female lead.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:17 am Reply with quote
Imma wondering if the childhood friend is Alya's sister.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1