• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dungeon People (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:01 pm Reply with quote

Dungeon People (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 5 volumes by Sui Futami)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: OLM (Team Yoshioka)

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy

Themes: dungeons

Plot Summary: Clay was trained by her father to be an expert member of the thieves' guild. Since her father disappeared three years ago, she's been using her skills to search for him in a dungeon filled with goblins, a Minotaur, and all manner of other dangerous creatures.

When Clay reaches deeper than anyone ever has before, she meets the caretaker of the dungeon. To her surprise, Clay is invited to join the staff. And thus begins Clay's new job--to learn the inner workings and behind-the-scenes secrets of the dungeon from the inside.

Air Date & Platform:
July 5, 2024 (Friday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:53 am Reply with quote
The first episode was a solid start. The show has plenty of charm to it and it looks like there is a lot to manage in order to make the dungeon function properly. I am especially curious about why the monsters from the demon world would sign up for a job in which they get killed, I assume they get respawned though in that case I hope that the pay is good for getting repeatedly slaughtered.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:36 am Reply with quote
I liked the first episode too. I watched this one and Quality Assurance side by side and they worked well together. I got a kick out of the slightly meta, slightly blue collar approach of running an RPG behind the scenes. I liked the MC's quiet competence, and to be honest, I find the idea of her using her analytical prowess and hard earned knowledge to make dungeons harder for the less disciplined adventurers kind of terrifying. This has the potential to get dark though I don't think it's going that way. Anyway, it's a fresh look at a fantasy standard so far.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:52 am Reply with quote
10 levels? Meh, they should take a field trip to Tempest's 100-floor dungeon beneath their Colliseum. With Birdie Wing's shuffle-able floors and home-grown monsters. None of this importing demon labor to stock the dungeon stuff. Rimaru knows how to run a dungeon!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:51 pm Reply with quote
The show does not have great animation nor is the story that compelling but the charm of it all and seeing how the dungeon ticks have hooked me. We got an explanation regarding the monsters dying and coming back plus considering the facilities such as your own personal room, the food and (probably) the pay it honestly does not seem like that bad of a job. Otherwise the episode revolved around some logistics and filling up all those empty treasure chests. Characters wise every single one has been quirky and charming.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:12 pm Reply with quote
If nothing else, I'll never be able to watch another dungeon themed anime where a monster is killed and leaves a magic gem without thinking of this week's episode.

But, of course, there is something else, or there are lots of something elses, or whatever. I thought the portrayal of the administrator's hoarder tendencies was pretty funny too, and the clash of personalities is well handled. Fun stuff IMHO.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I really like the third episode due to it being a mix of cute and the dark realities of the dungeon. In the case of the cute were the characters growing closer and getting to know each other a bit better. It seems like half of the reason for Clay's hiring is for her boss to have a friend to hang out with. Dark realities wise we had the flashback that showcases fellow humans sometimes being more dangerous than the monsters.

The highlight of the episode was Clay taking over the skelly. It does not happen all that often that you see a fight between dungeon dwellers and adventurers from the monsters' side of things.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 4:58 pm Reply with quote
The "Bad things happen in the dungeon" motif gets used a lot in Korean web novels - as clearly reflected in the Korean based anime Solo Leveling with that team that habitually took in freelancers as meat shields and sacrifices. That said, the Wolf Fang team seemed alright, and I was relieved that Clay didn't slaughter them.

Another fun episode IMHO.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 4:34 am Reply with quote
Don't give up, Skeleton!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:26 pm Reply with quote
The show reminds me of Dungeon Meshi in the way that they take some of the dungeon elements and give a creative spin to them. In the case of Dungeon People said elements mostly revolve around how the dungeon is managed. Interesting about the 4th episode is that we learn that the dungeon lord/boss is very much not stuck in said dungeon and can step outside. In the case of the previous dungeon boss he created a special branch of the thieves guild (and made one disappear). It is interesting that he did so since countless adventurers die in the dungeon yet he was bothered by the many trap related deaths.

Otherwise there is the mystery of what happened to the father who still seems to be in the dungeon and mr dragon at the end.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:41 am Reply with quote
It does make me wonder what the ultimate point of dungeons is. For example, I remember in one book,Seoul Station Necromancer, there was a basic scheme going on. Dungeon portals opened up in our world, and people were going in and killing monsters and bringing back a rare material that was an incredible energy source...manatite or something like that.

What people didn't realize was that manatite (or something like that) was saturating the atmosphere and basically terraforming our world so that an otherworldly dimensional invasion could be conducted en masse. The dungeons were just bait.

Here, it seems more likely that the dungeons would be a kind of recruitment or refining process for forging people into stronger adventurers. For what reason would still be unclear.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 7:48 am Reply with quote
There's a weird undercurrent to this show; From the previous Dungeonmaster disappearing an entire thieves guild to Clay agreeing to become the goblins broodmare if they beat her in a fight.

Belle to Clay "A lot of the higher level monsters don't gem swap as they don't value living much."
You don't say.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:32 pm Reply with quote
^ Yeah, kind of hoping the weirdly dark undercurrent slowly becomes a more explicitly addressed theme. Show's OK as is, but that could really draw me in.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, given episode 5 I would say that the dark undercurrent will pop up every now and then but will not be anything more than that. Given how cutesy the presentation is strengthens that though I have been hookwinked on that front in the past with some cute looking anime going pretty dark.

Content wise we had a pretty cool fight with the (in some ways) sensitive dragon and it seems that Clay is growing stronger pretty fast. It was also interesting to see an explanation for random crap appearing in treasure chests (which is a thing in many games). The golems having so much personality was a surprise and like expected Clay was mostly hired so that Belle could have a friend.

I do wonder what happened to the previous dungeon master (I don't remember that being mentioned in detail).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:51 am Reply with quote
Golly, a segment about preparing and eating food in the dungeon, that sure is a novel concept. Jokes aside, their kitchen is so high tech and the larder so stacked that it is really convenient if you know how to cook and don't just throw everything in a pot and boil it like some barbarian.

I also wonder if the former dungeon master was a reincarnated person, some of his tastes/choices seem to suggest that. Otherwise it is interesting to both work at a dungeon while trying to beat it at the same time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2