• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
VTuber Legend: How I Went Viral after Forgetting to Turn Off My Stream (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:41 pm Reply with quote

VTuber Legend: How I Went Viral after Forgetting to Turn Off My Stream (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 8 volumes, written by Nana Nanato, illustrated by Siokazunoko)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: TNK

Genres: comedy

Themes: otaku, social media

Plot Summary: Twenty-year-old former wage slave Yuki Tanaka now works among her idols: the streamers of Live-On, one of Japan's top VTuber companies. As the gorgeous, polite Awayuki Kokorone, she delivers only the most ladylike content. Unfortunately, her subscriber count and savings are at rock bottom.

One evening, after Yuki thinks she's ended her stream, she cracks a few cold ones—and more than a few crude jokes—while watching Live-On's video archives. But her viewers hear it all, and clips of her bawdy, drunken commentary go viral overnight.

Yuki thinks her career is over...until her manager reveals that everyone at Live-On has been waiting for her to snap all along and gives her free rein to drink on-stream.

Air Date & Platform:
July 7, 2024 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:07 pm Reply with quote
That was a really hilarious and true to life first episode. In regards to the latter: the interface, the jokes and many of the memes, they really nailed the subject matter. The thing that really sells it is the great VA that makes Kokorone such an amusing mess of a person to listen to. The at times rather creative animation tops it off such as with some rather hectic sausage fighting.

I will say this though: it seems like a really hit or miss show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:38 am Reply with quote
Not sure if it is intentional that a good deal of the VTubers I watch are about this level of unhinged.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Wow, they actually had Getting Over it with Bennett Foddy, one of the quintessential rage games for seeing a streamer lose their shit.

I am starting to feel a bit uncomfortable with the alcohol thing. I have seen some streamers that can be fun with the occasional drunk stream. But feeling like it is necessary to be entertaining, even as jokes, just me feel a little off.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:11 am Reply with quote
The thing that the second episode thankfully addresses is that the mc regularly drinks because she enjoys doing so. The thing with the stream was an accident and she seems to have gotten the message that she should not drink more purely for the streams. There is a thing to say about her being fed StroZero like she is some amusing pet and her being an alcoholic though.

Also, as the ending bit showed, with or without a drink she is an energetic character.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:05 pm Reply with quote
The third episode showcased that there is more to the show than just Yuki getting drunk and rowdy, there being so many quirky VTubers to interact with makes the show and the final segment was great fun. If Yuki was alone and the only gag was drinking that sweet StroZero things would get old quickly, thankfully every Vtuber brings something different to the party.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:41 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
The third episode showcased that there is more to the show than just Yuki getting drunk and rowdy, there being so many quirky VTubers to interact with makes the show and the final segment was great fun. If Yuki was alone and the only gag was drinking that sweet StroZero things would get old quickly, thankfully every Vtuber brings something different to the party.

I was confused for a moment in the third episode that a character was acting so reserved and a bit of a shrinking violet, while dressing on the more extreme side, but then I realised that we are meant to see the difference in VTuber character and the streamer. There was meant to be a clash of her looking extroverted while being much more introverted.

On one side it can seem a bit odd for random people looking like VTuber models, but it is a thing the show does as part of an identity.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, each VTuber is different in that regard (and the show very much plays into that). Some play a character while others are very much true to their imperfect selves. Yuki has become popular due to being very much how she really is (a bit of a mess).

Episode 4 was pretty wild due to the sheer amount of hidden and very much not so hidden references in it. Seeing Rias from Highschool DxD pop up was something else and the school days mention gave me flashbacks.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Good lord, Awayuki has proven to be quite the degenerate in the first four episodes but the new girls of gen 4 make her seem innocent and pure by comparison. All three of them are quite special to say the least and Alice in particular is just plain unhinged. It does make for a lot of fun chaos and I am sure that we will not have a single boring moment going forward...no that we have had any thus far.

I am liking this show way more than I initially expected to.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 6:50 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Good lord, Awayuki has proven to be quite the degenerate in the first four episodes but the new girls of gen 4 make her seem innocent and pure by comparison. All three of them are quite special to say the least and Alice in particular is just plain unhinged. It does make for a lot of fun chaos and I am sure that we will not have a single boring moment going forward...no that we have had any thus far.

My understanding is that the most important part of their debut would be to leave an impact, at least something a bit surprising to get some attention. Honestly the first two didn't feel too surprising, the whole gay for another Vtuber I think, if probably played up a bit.

What did feel surprising was the third, going straight into baby roleplay, both because it would be super gutsy, and I imagine she could have gone for a more chibi design if it was at all she wanted it to be a part of the character. The gap difference between her model and actually having a dummy asset, and then finishing off with what sounded like her getting in trouble and having PTSD. I would have expected it to be a bit

Also, telling the audience randomly to mix alcohol and an energy drink seems kind of dangerous. They even did a surprisingly close parody of the old Red Bull ads.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:32 am Reply with quote
Well, this week had plenty more baby roleplay, a lot of it in fact. The number of sane VTubers is also rapidly shrinking with the revelation that almost every single one of them is special in some way. I do love how unpredictable this show is, it is really hard to predict what the next episode will contain besides it being crazy.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Heart-warming yet disturbing/funny at the same time was not something I expected but it is what we got this week. It is impressive that they are managing to have some of the characters feel like actual characters and more than just the gags being made. I also still like how the anime presents people as blank figures until they are discovered to be a particular VTuber and thus change accordingly.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 4:24 pm Reply with quote

An odd show. I would have thought an anime about VTubers would have been about what it's like to be a VTuber. But we never see the people behind their VTuber personalities, instead they seem to be always in-character which is weird and confusing when they have IRL meetings with management staff and other VTubers.

The show feels aimless, or maybe aimless isn't the right word. Like nonsensically chaotic on purpose. It doesn't feel like it's trying to say anything about VTubers at all. It feels like it's trying to emulate what it's like to watch actual VTuber streams, and I'm really confused about the point of an anime that's just trying to be a VTuber stream in an anime form. Maybe I'm thinking too hard. It's basically just an episodic comedy and the comedy is very "lol so random" which I've found to be terribly ineffective. So all in all, as someone who doesn't care for VTubers (or streamers in general), this anime gets a very bored thumbs down from me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 6:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Putting aside just capping off with "yuri", something not a surprise in the least for Vtubers considering the amount of performative queerbaiting. A lot of the focus in my mind for this episode is that the human Awayuki is actually queer, at least a lesbian, something clear in the first episode when she made certain comments in the first episode when she thought she was alone. Is maybe in a bit of a conflict of the cultural playfulness of a girl friendship, and of course playing it up for the audience, and that it might not be the same thing with the playful flirting and going into the bath together.

Feels kind of fitting that I actually watched a couple of Vtubers earlier candidly talking about their actual sexualities.

Cam0 wrote:
An odd show. I would have thought an anime about VTubers would have been about what it's like to be a VTuber. But we never see the people behind their VTuber personalities, instead they seem to be always in-character which is weird and confusing when they have IRL meetings with management staff and other VTubers.

Notably only in terms of their models, if you consider that the in-character, while we do see them drop the personas.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:28 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Notably only in terms of their models, if you consider that the in-character, while we do see them drop the personas.

Eh, aside from the original Awayuki, I can't tell at all when they drop the personas. Their body language and the tone of their voices stay the same. Their general personality traits are also the same, none of them have a notable difference in how they act IRL (aside from Awayuki). So I must disagree.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2