• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Boston 2008 - 21-23 March 2008 - Boston, MA

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
For reference: Anime Boston's official site

:::

Greetings and felicitations. My friend Leonard Houle and I have a reservation for the Boston Marriott Copley Place for Thursday 20 March through Sunday 23 March 2007 (three nights) for Anime Boston 2008 in a room with two double beds (we get dibs on the beds, so please expect to sleep on the floor). We are looking for people (gender not an issue) to share the room and its cost; the cost is $212.53 per night ($189.00 + 12.45% tax), totaling $637.59 (cost is rounded up to the nearest dollar for convenience):
    (2 people = $107 each night; $213 for two nights, $319 for three (us))
    3 people = $ 71 each night; $142 for two nights, $213 for three
    4 people = $ 54 each night; $107 for two nights, $160 for three
We are two mature males who will be up late, but are otherwise quiet, and will be attempting to check in Thursday afternoon. If you only stay for one or two nights, that is all you pay for. Please contact me at jwatson8 [at] comcast [dot] net if you are interested.

Ciao,
John C. Watson
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
Our room is now full for Friday and Saturday nights (unless you're a good friend of ours Very Happy ), but still have space for Thursday only. This may change, however, depending upon what Mr. Houle says (he's likely to ask me to close reservations altogether).

If you inquired about space on Friday and Saturday prior to this, but did not commit, I'm sorry—I'm afraid you've waited too long and are out of luck. My best wishes to you in your quest for crash space.

Fifty-six days until the con...fifty-five until we check in.
narutard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
This con starts on my bithday so I'm so excited! I live in VA, but I have family up in Mass, so I might be going! Look for me I will be Naruto!
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
The room is now full.

Twenty-seven days until the con...twenty-six until we check in.
meregeeks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:13 am Reply with quote
I waited with my friends at this registration line for 5+ hours. I only really wanted to go to the Dealers room. By the time I got to the end the dealers room was closed. So we decided to make the best of it and get an only Sunday pass. They told me I could not, and i would have to come back tomorrow and get in line again for the sunday Only passes.

I yelled a bit, talked to the head of registration. She game me a "note" that says i can cut line since I waited already....

This is horrible. I think I will go to another con, this one sucks.

I hope the Dealers know of all the money they lost out on. I watched 100's, and no that is not an exaggeration, leave the line and say "the hell with it."

Oh and to top it off, NO ONE at the end of the line said any apologies, or did they give discounts or anything. Like they didn't even care.

Yall need to have more than a small room to register over 10,000 people... People arnt cattle and they dont like being treated as such.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
meregeeks wrote:
Yall need to have more than a small room to register over 10,000 people... People arnt cattle and they don't like being treated as such.

To American con organizers: it's about time to drop the idea of pre-registration and issuing badges. The larger a con has become, the more difficult to manage the registration / badge pickup procedures, and asking a customer to spend five hours in the line was nothing but pathetic.

Just sell tickets anonymously. Insisting the method "back when anime cons were first held by the fans and for the fans" is like insisting selling music on CD instead of MP3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bravejaf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
My friends waited in line for 10 hours on Friday for registration. This is not an exaggeration, as they walked into line at 11 AM and barely got out in time to run upstairs for the AMVs at 9 PM. I have never heard of a line lasting this long but can list many reasons why the bottleneck occurred.

* Understaffed (its not the people working in Registration's fault it is poor planning by con organizers
* Having attendees enter own info into computers (this is shockingly dumb IMO)
* Not enough terminals (they only had 4 at con reg terminals for a con that routinely draws in 10,000+ people)
* Printing badges for each and every attendee

Things that could have prevented this problem:
* Handing out printed reg forms before people got to the desk
* Completing data entry (if necessary) after registration has closed or just create a filing system
* Have attendees write in names(similar to Otakon)

I pre-registered for the con so my wait wasn't so bad, though I did have to wait more than 3 hours to get my badge. This is a lot longer than Otakon, which usually has twice the attendees, but seemed favorable in comparison to the plight of my friends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1