• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
druv

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:20 am Reply with quote
I was on vacation last week so saw these episodes in a row. I honestly thought episode 8 was very good, and didn't take it as "forced drama" at all.
Rather, I saw it as Yasumi going into the recording over-prepared and lost her natural flow, being intimidated by the presence of her idols, and thus ending up stressing out and not being able to react well to the director feedback.
Yuhi, in my mind, wasn't mean to her for being bad at her job or whatever, but reacted poorly to Yasumi trying to put a brave face on her failure - after Yuhi obviously waited for her for hours after the audition to be there for her. So Yasumi refusing to be genuine with her made her, a bit childishly, to lash out. So I thought the scene worked very well!
I totally agree about skipping the freakin' audition, though!
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I like to think that the pro VA near the beginning of the episode wasn't trying to lay on a ton of pressure onto Yasumi, but considering we don't really know anything about her, it sure does come off negatively.

I definitely agree with Christopher here, we're told everything, but not really shown anything. Considering the focus of the show, we really should be hearing how Yasumi is struggling (and presumably eventually overcoming it), but instead we'll probably just get the final performance if we're lucky. So how do we know how she's grown?
The director just going "do better" doesn't add much either. Either we're lacking the full feedback we should be hearing for better context, or they're really just trying to portray him as a (imo) terrible director. Though if I remember correctly, he's supposed to be a big name, so unless they're going to go with the story about how that's not really true, then they're not doing right by this character either and not giving enough for the audience to chew on.
Just being shown a clips of Yasumi failing at the beginning due to pressure and then (presumably) falling further in her performance without actually hearing it is a big miss.
Glordit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Spending way too much time on trivial things like her failing to voice a character by trying way too hard. She will obviously overcome her now trivial trial with ease because she "got good" just like her peers told her to. Lets go back to the radio voice drama and rocky friendship with Yuhi and Yasumi, at least that was fun and unpredictable.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I took something different away from Yuhi's advice; more than just "try harder".

What I got from it was Yuhi admonishing Yasumi for the deferential, timid way she behaves around Ono and Mori - which is of course the cultural normal way to behave around your senpai. This was her character's big scene and she needed to see herself as the star of the show for the duration of it. That she shouldn't LET Ono and Mori (or anyone else) be better than her just because they're senior actresses, she should MAKE them be better than her. She needs to make them earn it. She's not telling Yasumi to 'try harder', she's telling her to stop holding herself back.

I thought this was illustrated at the end of the take when Ono asked if they'd been recording all four of them for the whole scene and if Yuhi's performance would work with the animation. She knew that Yasumi finally hitting her stride had elevated the performance of the other three of them as well.
DolFun The Dolphin Vtuber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:21 pm Reply with quote
An excellent episode to end with.
Great to see that the hard work paid of for Yasumi
I enjoyed the chemistry she had with Yuuhi throughout the episodes.
I would like to see a 2nd season for this.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely loved this series. The final episode even brought some tears out of me. A 10/10 for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2