• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Sony And Marvelous Woke Up And Chose The Same Day To Showcase, And I'm Paying F

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I listened to Utada Hikaru's re-recording of "Simple And Clean". It's very emotional.

Hikari is better, but this version of it (no matter the language) is the worse. Original version is beautiful (in regards to its use in KH, the BBS Jump Festa 2010 trailer is PEAK & the best use of it ever) and Ray of Hope MIX is a breath of fresh air that challenges the original.

Quote:
Nintendo Switch finally got some of the Kingdom Hearts games, seemingly as part of Nintendo's deal with Square Enix to get Sora into Super Smash Bros Ultimate, and they're the Cloud versions of the game, for whatever reason, so they're unplayable.

Yare yare daze. Here we go again. We already know which side of the pond you're on. It was no secret with your obsession over Xenoblade 3 updates for a year and that it would cause you to spread misinformation when talking about Digimon Survive (which I had to correct you with the facts) some months ago. It'd be great if you just stick to reporting facts without letting your (let me put it in bold so no one misses the key words & misinterprets my post) personal feelings interfere with the reporting. On September 7, 2020, Tetsuya Nomura stated "Square Enix did consider ports for Switch, but found it was technologically difficult". There you go. That's the reason its not coming to Switch. 1 year later in October 2021, Ichiro Hazama stated "the decision to make cloud versions of Kingdom Hearts was due to the Switch's storage capacity". There you go. A Switch port wasn't happening due to technological issues, but Square Enix found a way to still release it on Switch. Kingdom Hearts is on Switch. Its done.

REMOVED YOUR 'COPE' COMMENT, AS IT'S UNNECESSARILY HOSTILE FOR A THROWAWAY COMMENT

Quote:
In honor of the Kingdom Hearts games finally making it to Steam, artist Utada Hikaru re-recorded the English version of their single Simple And Clean,

Here we go again. KH fans ≠ Utada fans. A tale as old as.... There is no honor. This has NOTHING to do with the Steam release. Utada released the Science Fiction greatest hits album on April 10th (a 25th anniversary career celebration). On April 10th, it was released on YouTube. In it is a re-recorded version of Hikari (Simple and Clean is the alternate version for English fans; Note that the lyrics are not a translation). When a new version of Hikari is made, typically a new version of Simple and Clean is made immediately after since the song has been tied to KH since 2002. KH coming to Steam near Utada's album release is a coincidence. It is just the 1st time this version of Simple and Clean is being released publicly. Nothing more.

LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Kingdom Hearts is a massive failure to deliver on a promise, in my eyes. It was the merging of Final Fantasy and Disney that originally caught my fancy, and by the time I fell off after all of the Organisation XIII games, it just didn't really feel like Final Fantasy ever got the focus that I was waiting for - mainly no big main worlds like Ivalice or Midgar.

You only have yourself to blame. The 1st game was perfectly advertised that it would be a collab between Final Fantasy and Disney, but the worlds are from Disney. The trailers literally only showed Disney worlds. The FF characters like Cloud, Aerith, Yuffie, were given different backstories (with references to their original games) and it was outright stated and shown that they were BORN in Hollow Bastion, an original KH world tied to the main story. How can you expect Midgar when the characters that were born there in their original games were alternate characters in KH? You weren't paying attention and you ended up taking yourself out of the series due to a lack of comprehension and bad eye sight. If you want to play in a Midgar world, play FF7. It was already in video game form prior to KH's existence and on the same platform (backward compatible on the PS2).
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:02 am Reply with quote
I vehemently disagree on Mashima being a great character designer. The main guy looks like the protag of edens zero with red hair instead of black, the blond girl looks like every blond main girl he's ever drawn because he has a type, and all his characters looks like they could just be fairy tail characters
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:47 pm Reply with quote
My main takeaway from the new Silent Hill 2 trailer is just how unscary it looks. The fog isnt heavy and dark areas are way too bright, which really screws with the atmosphere. The toning down of Maria's sex appeal, completely misses the point and purpose of her character. It just looks like Konami saw the success of the RE2R, and wanted to replicate that. It just comes off as your standard action-horror shooter.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:

Yare yare daze. Here we go again. We already know which side of the pond you're on. It was no secret with your obsession over Xenoblade 3 updates for a year and that it would cause you to spread misinformation when talking about Digimon Survive (which I had to correct you with the facts) some months ago. It'd be great if you just stick to reporting facts without letting your (let me put it in bold so no one misses the keywords & misinterprets my post) personal feelings interfere with the reporting.

TWIG is not a news column; it is an editorial column. While our news team reports gaming news, Jean-Karlo discusses that news with his own personal insights. If you do not enjoy his insights and opinions, then this column might not be for you.

You've been specifically warned in the past about commenting here like you're his editor, and several of the points in your comment reflect that same attitude while also being unnecessarily mean (like the Utada Hikaru fan comment or the annoyance about J-K sharing a few sentences about his XB3 playthrough). There is no correlation between J-K enjoying XB3 and making some kind of mistake about Digimon. I mean, J-K loves Digimon so this particular statement is also very strange.

Our editorial writers' opinions are expected to have a factual basis, and if J-K had written something highly critical or negative based on misinformation or without a factual basis, he would be expected to correct it. What I've seen in the comments of his column is that he has always quickly made corrections when needed and admitted to his mistakes when they are pointed out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:06 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
I vehemently disagree on Mashima being a great character designer. The main guy looks like the protag of edens zero with red hair instead of black, the blond girl looks like every blond main girl he's ever drawn because he has a type, and all his characters looks like they could just be fairy tail characters

My contempt for Fairy Tail is already on the record--can you blame a guy for trying to be diplomatic to folks? Laughing For real, I know Fairy Tail fans can be serious proselytizers. Dunno what they see in it, don't want any of it, but it doesn't mean I think less of them for it and I don't want to come off as thinking they're lesser for it. I lived through the era where "JRPG" was a four-letter word. I might think Fairy Tail fans need to read another book, but they don't deserve to feel bad for liking Fairy Tail.

Themaster20000 wrote:
My main takeaway from the new Silent Hill 2 trailer is just how unscary it looks. The fog isnt heavy and dark areas are way too bright, which really screws with the atmosphere. The toning down of Maria's sex appeal, completely misses the point and purpose of her character. It just looks like Konami saw the success of the RE2R, and wanted to replicate that. It just comes off as your standard action-horror shooter.

I saw someone point out on Twitter that Maria's redesign is likely the result of there not being enough women on the dev team--which hurts because Maria's outfit is something a lot of women like. I do not remember the exact phrasing he used, but he pointed out that women do love "serving [expletive]" in leopard-print and crop-tops. It's more of an issue when that's exclusively the default for every female character in a game, and even then most folks will excuse it if the character a) serves enough [expletive] or b) the game isn't weirdly exploitative (see: David Cage).

It's a shame because yeah, the outfit is thematically important to Maria's central character, and not even in a dumb "you will regret your words and deeds because this character breathes through their skin!"-kinda way. I like your comparison, it does seem like they looked at the Resident Evil remakes and tried aiming for their newer, more down-to-Earth aesthetic without really understanding it or applying it well. At least the outfit redesign isn't that bad; it does feel in like with the redesigned outfits Ashley and Ada got in RE4RE.
juaifan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:52 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
I saw someone point out on Twitter that Maria's redesign is likely the result of there not being enough women on the dev team

For the longest time the critique against female character design in games (or any nerd hobby really) was the result of it being a boys club and men never having seen a real woman before. It's the entire basis for communities like r/mendrawingwomen and especially noticeable in the anime community where people mistake female artists who draw ecchi for male all the time. This just sounds like someone either trying to pass the buck or trying to get the "they're taking away our sexy women" crowd to support the "hire more women" crowd by trying to convince people more women in the industry would make video games sexy again.

The redesigns for Maria and the other female characters just looks like the typical de-sexualization of female characters that's been going on for ages now. No real different than giving Jill, Ashley, and Ada pants in the Resident Evil remakes and cutting out certain scenes in those games. Admittedly the fact Maria is still wearing a dress at all would actually put her above the Resident Evil remake changes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2