• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I knew Todo's "define the meaning of your fallen comrades" speech sounds familiar, then I realized it was almost exactly the same vibe of Erwin's one during operation against Beast Titan, still love every second of it though.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I had almost forgotten how raw Todo is.

Even though I still prefer Sukuna, I think Mahito is quite the menace, and is probably more fun to watch at times because he’s less stoic.

I know people were fearing a production collapse, but this episode looked really, really good.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:20 pm Reply with quote
This episode was the first in a while that mostly worked for me. spoiler[Todo's powerup kind of came out of nowhere, he was at times a bit too goofy for the general tenor of the scene, and the opening emphasizing how dead Kugisaki was seemed kind of pointless given all of 10 minutes later we're getting the "Maybe she's alive! Who knows! Special power injury stasis!" nonsense, but for the most part Todo's arrival and pulling Itadori out of his catatonic state was compelling and had me actively rooting for them. The fight against Mahito also became a lot more interesting to me after Todo joined it, both on the level of dynamic spectacle, and in the sense that Mahito somehow feels more dangerous, watching him deal pretty effectively with Todo's unique fighting antics. Also, somehow I actually cared about the Mecha-Miwa scene; the artwork and voice-acting did a ton of work for such an underexplored pairing.]
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Thoughts on the new episode:

spoiler[- I was wondering why Yuji wasnt just stabbed through or ripped apart while defenceless for the first minute and a half.
- I was spending some of the earlier extended fight just hoping that someone would take some real damage and move the fight forward. Despite interspersing this fight with killing other characters the actual fight is fairly typical shonen high level fights where the meaningful combat doesnt happen until the end. In the mean time we get exchanges of blows to demonstrate commitment and struggle. Still Todo style fighting is interesting to watch.
- Nice to see Todo at the scene but it also feels somewhat haphazard and unreal, he is lacking in the presence he had in his earlier appearances because of that.
- Yuji continues to fight with no disadvantages despite all the damage and exhaustion he has gone through, perhaps that is something very hard to show in a shonen battler.
- Mechamaru scene was good. Still highlighting the how power level dynamic the show is going down.
- Does doing a black flash count as an upgrade to Todo? He was the one who taught Yuji about them in the first place.
- Also I noticed the story had to literally tell us how the fight was going because the status of the fight was completely invisible.]

Overall impression was fine. Not stellar or the most engaged I have been. Getting tired of the arc though.
za21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Thoughts on the new episode:

spoiler[- I was wondering why Yuji wasnt just stabbed through or ripped apart while defenceless for the first minute and a half.
- I was spending some of the earlier extended fight just hoping that someone would take some real damage and move the fight forward. Despite interspersing this fight with killing other characters the actual fight is fairly typical shonen high level fights where the meaningful combat doesnt happen until the end. In the mean time we get exchanges of blows to demonstrate commitment and struggle. Still Todo style fighting is interesting to watch.
- Nice to see Todo at the scene but it also feels somewhat haphazard and unreal, he is lacking in the presence he had in his earlier appearances because of that.
- Yuji continues to fight with no disadvantages despite all the damage and exhaustion he has gone through, perhaps that is something very hard to show in a shonen battler.
- Mechamaru scene was good. Still highlighting the how power level dynamic the show is going down.
- Does doing a black flash count as an upgrade to Todo? He was the one who taught Yuji about them in the first place.
- Also I noticed the story had to literally tell us how the fight was going because the status of the fight was completely invisible.]

Lol, you're trying so hard to find things to criticize the ep for. These points are nonsensical.
spoiler[- Mahito was toying with him. That was pretty obvious.
- That's literally every fight in existence lol. Like yeah...there's not going to be finishing blows at the beginning of the fight. Just complaining for nothing.
- Wtf does this even mean? Him coming in to help is unreal? A character coming in to save a character is literally not a problem. Stop.
- No disadvantages? What? Mahito can easily cut his head off. Again, nonsensical.
- Weird connection between Mechamaru and power levels. No connection at all and doesn't mean anything.
- Anyone can do a Black Flash. What's the complaint here?
- The only thing it said was that all 3 were making each go 120% of their strength at the end there. Ofc you can't show that.]
za21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode. Anyone claiming that this arc is bad is so full of it lol.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:00 am Reply with quote
Think what you will of my thoughts but I am not here to try and argue with you, they are what occurred to me while watching the episode. That said one of my sentences was not well expressed. I will correct myself from:

spoiler[Still highlighting the how power level dynamic the show is going down. ] to:
spoiler[Still the Mechanmaru scene continues to highlight how the power level of enemies in the show is beyond most of the characters we have got to know so far. ]
Gnarth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:20 am Reply with quote
After the awfully sour taste last episode left me, it's gotten hard for me to care too much but I didn't hate this. It's unfortunate though that my favourite characters got either sealed or killed for mostly shock value leaving this big fight in the hands of three of the blandest characters in the show in my opinion. Especially Mahito keeps being recycled and just can't die the same way I can't stand his embarassing, not menacing attitude. The fight itself was animated rather well, but the usual ghosting and dimming destroyed it once again; such a shame to undermine the animators' work like that.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:10 am Reply with quote
I again enjoyed the episode; no real issues here. Extra points for the "gory discretion shot" from the eye socket; that was a nice touch(not a pun).

Disappointed that this thread has continued to be such a bummer each week. There are very real production issues going on at Mappa that have bled into every other episode, but often people's grievances boil down to "Maybe this story isn't for me anymore". Don't worry, there's only a handful of episodes left, folks.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:16 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
This episode was the first in a while that mostly worked for me. spoiler[[...] and the opening emphasizing how dead Kugisaki was seemed kind of pointless given all of 10 minutes later we're getting the "Maybe she's alive! Who knows! Special power injury stasis!" nonsense]

I think those scenes were that way specifically for us to see it in Itadori's POV. spoiler[Losing Nobara is that much of a blow to him, making him absolutely despair, and then the hope that she might be alive/revived - even if it's extremely unlikely - is what ultimately brings him back into the fight, with Todo's help]
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:50 am Reply with quote
spoiler[I'd say that's more from Kugisaki's perspective than Itadori's. Laughing ]
ronri

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:01 am Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
U forgot to put a spoiler tag on your post my dude... Had to stop reading your comment after seeing the words "current" & "manga". Not cool...

spoiler[ I apologize for that but considering the specific handling of Nobara's "death" (wherein that episode will be the last we see of her for a very long time) I didn't think it would be considered as actual spoilers since her character hasn't shown up again since that specific moment. Considering how the review questioned and criticized her "death" and how it might matter in the long run, I thought it was appropriate discourse especially since her character has barely been acknowledged since then (which only serves to emphasize the issue brought up by the review).]

That said, Todo joining the fight to assist Yuji once again was a welcome breath of fresh air and serves to kickstart the arc's climax on a high note.

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added. -TK]
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:48 am Reply with quote
ronri wrote:
spoiler[I apologize for that but considering the specific handling of Nobara's "death" (wherein that episode will be the last we see of her for a very long time) I didn't think it would be considered as actual spoilers since her character hasn't shown up again since that specific moment. Considering how the review questioned and criticized her "death" and how it might matter in the long run, I thought it was appropriate discourse especially since her character has barely been acknowledged since then (which only serves to emphasize the issue brought up by the review]).

That said, Todo joining the fight to assist Yuji once again was a welcome breath of fresh air and serves to kickstart the arc's climax on a high note.

I cannot understand how you do not understand that what you keep saying are still spoilers. spoiler[How long it's been since a character has or has not appeared is spoiler information ]
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:50 am Reply with quote
spoiler[ Nobaras body isn't even cold yet and the new guy already stole her haircut]

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added. -TK]
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, episode 44 left me absolutely terrified.

For an split of second there I thought "I think I was more emotionally invested in KnY".

If this series makes me say "I liked KnY more" I am gonna be really pissed off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 58