• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PS5 Console Gets New Smaller Model in November

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beowulf47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:53 pm Reply with quote
PC gamer for life. But I can't wait to see how Sony bungles this one. Scalpers are gonna have a field day with this and I'll be sure to have the popcorn ready.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Ps5 Slim. Same console, thinner package. I guess the PS5 Pro is next year.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I guess the PS5 Pro is next year.

And that's what I'm hoping for. I better hope PS5 Pro has something that makes it stand out from previous models including PS4 Pro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beowulf47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Yup, and scalpers are gonna have a field day. Can't wait to watch that shitshow lol.
BluesPro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I guess now the Pro is their only chance to move away from the terrible clamshell and make a design for the PS5 that doesn't suck (I know they won't because they can sell stands separately this way).
MrPuzzles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:08 am Reply with quote
Beowulf47 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Yup, and scalpers are gonna have a field day. Can't wait to watch that shitshow lol.

You already said that once.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:41 am Reply with quote
I do not really see much of a difference, just slightly smaller, i mean can u even call it a slim?
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:35 am Reply with quote
Smaller size but for the same price. I'll pass again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:37 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
I do not really see much of a difference, just slightly smaller, i mean can u even call it a slim?

Apparently they’re roughly shorter by 1.25 inches and thinner by 1.73 inches from the specs they released.

Beowulf47 wrote:

We’re way past the launch of the PS5, these aren’t special limited editions, neither are they a mid gen refresh in the power department. At this point in the generation, they’d be scalping at a loss.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:22 am Reply with quote
Beowulf47 wrote:
PC gamer for life. But I can't wait to see how Sony bungles this one. Scalpers are gonna have a field day with this and I'll be sure to have the popcorn ready.
You seem to be forgetting that the PS5 and Xbox Series X shortage issues were due to chip shortages brought on by external forces, there's no reason why there would be a shortage of this model. And even if in the unlikeliest of circumstances there is, no one will be buying the same system with a slightly different design from a scalper.
MadBoi92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:58 am Reply with quote
I don't see how this is gonna get scalped, I'm already seeing PS5 everywhere I go. if anything, more supply will deter scalpers from buying what is going to be an ubiquitous item.

What I find strange is how little of value the diskless edition adds. Not only does it stop you from buying used games, it is barely cheaper than the disk one.
If you are gonna force me to become your digital store's bitch Sony, atleast offer me some incentive.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:58 am Reply with quote
MadBoi92 wrote:
What I find strange is how little of value the diskless edition adds. Not only does it stop you from buying used games, it is barely cheaper than the disk one.
If you are gonna force me to become your digital store's bitch Sony, atleast offer me some incentive.

Being able to download almost any video game to your system without having to go to your nearest Best Buy, target, or if you’re feeling frisky GameStop is supposed to be an incentive. And if you’re not into that which a number of console gamers aren’t, not much is going to get you to dip your toes into the water.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:54 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Smaller size but for the same price. I'll pass again.

Yeah, with PS1-4, the reduced costs of materials for the smaller version meant selling for cheaper. The digital version's price is going up, and the disc version is staying the same price despite the reduced materials. Heck, the original has a stand that lets you place the system either horizontally or vertically. This one has a much smaller stand that only works horizontally, and you have to buy a vertical one if you want it.

This one does have a larger SSD, but it isn't enough of an increase to justify $50, and the PS4 slim had a hard drive that was double the size of the original, yet sold for a lower price. And that was in conjunction with the PS4 Pro that sold for the original price with overall improved hardware.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Beowulf47 wrote:
You seem to be forgetting that the PS5 and Xbox Series X shortage issues were due to chip shortages brought on by external forces, there's no reason why there would be a shortage of this model. And even if in the unlikeliest of circumstances there is, no one will be buying the same system with a slightly different design from a scalper.

Yeah, we're past that point now and people can get one at a retailer like normal. The last time I've even heard any discussion of PS5 scalping was that they were showing up on places like ebay for regular price and scalpers were probably stuck with systems that they'd be lucky to even get their money back.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Apparently attaching the detached disc drive you need internet connection. First, what happens when PS5 servers eventually go down? Second, seems third-party drives are a no-go because of this drm, so you're beholden to Sony's $80 offering...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:22 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Apparently attaching the detached disc drive you need internet connection. First, what happens when PS5 servers eventually go down?

I'd imagine it would be a pretty small file so it could be that they'll still have it online even after official support for the PS5 ends a decade or so from now.

I still think it's a stupid requirement but I'm not somebody who would buy a console without an optical drive anyway considering that, even if I was completely on board with buying all new games digitally, I'd still want to be able to use the console as a Blu-Ray player and for backwards compatibility with PS4 games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1