• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action One Piece Series' New Trailer Previews Arlong, Roger, More Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:07 pm Reply with quote
As goofy as some of it looks, I actually appreciate that they seem to be trying to genuinely capture the look and feel of the world and characters of One Piece.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I won't be watching the trailers, and honestly, I'm not sure if I'll even watch the show. I set my expectations super low because I don't want to be disappointed, but as a result, I'm not overly excited about this. Maybe someday, if it sees good reviews, I'll get around to watching, but for now I'll spend my time on the numerous other shows from my watchlist.

I do appreciate how optimistic and supportive Oda is being. He's not gonna post hateful things, but he could have stayed quiet or waited for the show to drop first. That was a really nice message.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah; that's One Piece, cheese and all. Cast looks like they're having fun with it, even if some of the dialogue comes off corny but to be fair, One Piece in general would probably come off as corny and cheesy to anybody not familiar with it.

CG still looks iffy at points but they've got Lord of the Coast down really nice so it might be one of those things that improve as they go. spoiler[That short look at Buggy kind of made him look actually kind of frightening too.]
Summinn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:38 am Reply with quote
The guy playing Sanji was a terrible casting choice. It seems like he's the only one with an accent, and to top it off he is way too buff, so his action scenes just looked so goofy.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:24 am Reply with quote
No matter how this turns out in the end, the actors who stepped in to act out the most iconic cast of characters in one of the biggest series ever made will always have my utmost respect. Those are BIG shoes to fill & really HIGH pressure to deal with.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:42 am Reply with quote
While I’ve been skeptical from the start due to One Piece’s cartoony and impractical nature… man the cast during all the promotional events/interviews just seems SO earnest, like I want this to succeed for their sakes at this point haha. And I do love the cast chemistry on-screen so far. If there’s anything I’m pretty immediately on board with, it’s this - everyone seems to fit individually and as a unit imo.

I also can appreciate seemingly smart streamlining changes. Potentially combining certain islands or having the fishmen show up at the Baratie is a good way to move things along to the next “arc” quickly while still making sense. There’s a lot to cover in 8 eps, but I’m glad it seems like they’re thinking of things like this vs getting everyone from point A to point B because that’s how the story goes.

As far as the set design goes, I’ve been impressed with that from the start. It’s not even just the massive ship builds, but smaller details like how they added carnival booths and games to Arlong Park to make it feel more like an actual amusement park. Little intentional touches here and there that show the creators are not only familial with the material but using the benefit of hindsight to make adjustments when they can. They bring so much more life and depth to the world vs just having massive set pieces.

But even with all that, I can’t help but be mixed on the combat elements. Granted it does look a bit better than I thought it would, but this was an aspect of One Piece I had very low expectations for in live-action to begin with. Some action is just really hard to translate, and I’m not even just talking about devil fruit powers - just Zoro fighting with a sword in his mouth would be tough. I think going for a heightened approach like you’d find in many Bollywood films (where the arial cg and/or wire work is a bit more obvious at a glance) isn’t a bad idea tbh, and I thought some of it looked pretty fun, so I’m hopeful because that’s more important to me than looking 100% realistic. It’s still One Piece after all.

Costuming and make-up is also kinda hit or miss for me. Some design work looks great and lived in, while others are pretty downright atrocious and distractingly cheap (i.e. Nami’s early wig, Mihawk’s plastic-looking sword, etc.. ). Honestly don’t even know what to make of Arlong - it’s practical make-up and in some lighting looks fine, where as other shots I’m just very befuddled…

Either way I am 100% tuning in, and thankfully not out of sheer curiosity,
theotheranimeman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:15 am Reply with quote
Looks like they're embracing One Piece's goofiness and going all-out with the CG attacks and weird character designs, which is the right way to go about adapting it, I think. Can't say anything bad about it, it just looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Also, Inaki Godoy is absolute perfection. If the rest of the cast ends up having even half of his charisma, they'll be good.
db999

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:23 am Reply with quote
It definitely looks better than the first trailer. I think the dialogue and the acting we see is much improved, I still have some issues with it but seeing more scenes with the characters actually interacting with each other is what makes it feel so much better. The special effects still look kind of iffy, but I’m willing to look past that provided that the rest is good enough. It also looks like they’re doing some really smart streamlining of the plot here with Arlong appearing at the Baratie. I’m not sure if this is them replacing Don Krieg or if they show up after Don Krieg is defeated. Mihawk looks cool and I think we also saw Garp in the trailer as well and I think they really nailed Coby in the small glimpse we saw of him. I think I just realized what this reminds me of, and it makes me think of a really fun and high-quality B-movie, which might not be what some are looking for but I think that fits One Piece pretty well.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:39 am Reply with quote
[quote="Aura Ichadora"But man, I'm quite concerned on the pacing. 8 episodes to cover to the end of the Arlong Park arc... it feels like there's going to be a LOT cut out to make that fit.[/quote]

it sounds like their solution was to combine everything. Arlong appears to be involved with the Buggy and Krieg arcs so I'm guessing he's being set up as the main villain of the season and focusing on him.

I have the same critiques as others: Not really feeling the casting overall. Arlong looks too small and scrawny, Sanji looks too bulky. Mihawk is probably my favorite casting and seems the most accurate. Dialog isn't the best but it's nice to see they kept the calling out attacks thing: at least for Buggy.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:44 am Reply with quote
I like it, but it's a shame that the Hollywood strikes mean this is going to get none of the press coverage that it really needs to succeed.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:51 am Reply with quote
Well, at least Inaki Godoy seems to be having the time of his life. Dunno if that'll mean anything, though. :-/
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:26 pm Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
Although I did kind of wince at some of Luffy's lines and hearing him swear. His dialog seems really out of character.

Luffy says "IM GUNNA KICK YOUR ASS" at the top of his lungs all the time though.

And that's the real problem with this adaptation. Characters in One Piece are LOUD. But I didn't get that at all from this trailer.

Also Nami just seems plain bored.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:26 pm Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
It definitely looks better than the first trailer. I think the dialogue and the acting we see is much improved, I still have some issues with it but seeing more scenes with the characters actually interacting with each other is what makes it feel so much better. The special effects still look kind of iffy, but I’m willing to look past that provided that the rest is good enough. It also looks like they’re doing some really smart streamlining of the plot here with Arlong appearing at the Baratie. I’m not sure if this is them replacing Don Krieg or if they show up after Don Krieg is defeated. Mihawk looks cool and I think we also saw Garp in the trailer as well and I think they really nailed Coby in the small glimpse we saw of him. I think I just realized what this reminds me of, and it makes me think of a really fun and high-quality B-movie, which might not be what some are looking for but I think that fits One Piece pretty well.

There were some cameos during Rogers' execution and during the wanted posters scene.
Glordit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:31 pm Reply with quote
It won't take much to beat Bebops terrible writing and lackluster adaptation.

Set pieces look amazing, everything else just looks a little too cheese for my liking.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I still don't really understand throwing money at live-action productions, but I'm curious enough to watch a bit of it and see if it feels like it hits the right spirit or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3