• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:40 am Reply with quote
In regards to Zom 100 and “why didn’t he just quit”, the job situation can be so bad in Japan that there are consultants who’s job it is to help you quit your job!

Some black companies just simply refuse to accept resignations, plus there is a huge “I am a failure for not sticking it out” culture as well. Because if you do manage to hang on, you become the abuser rather than the abused!
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:14 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
There's two possibility, either his job pay him enough that he can save money up (so he can retire one day) in which case he has saving and can afford to quit and not have a job for a few weeks/months. Or it doesn't, in which case he really should quit because there's no reason to work there instead of just getting a min wage jobs in a low cost of living area. He mentioned going to university, it didn't sound like he did graduate study so he was somehow living during that time without the uni paying him, he can just go back to doing what he was doing then and look for another job. If all the company in the industry are like that, then all the more reason to quit the industry, and if they're not all like that they he can find another one. And I get being exhausted, but quitting literally require nothing, he could flat out just stop showing for work one day, they'd eventually fire him and he could start collecting japan equivalent of worker comp. He really just exemplify "we've tried nothing and are all out of idea" and I just can't bring myself to care about someone like that, especially someone so incredibly selfish.

You don't collect "worker's comp" for job abandonment, which you just described. You actually don't collect it for losing your job at all, you collect it when you injure yourself on the job. You collect unemployment when you lose your job but, again, not if you quit or abandon the job.

Also "just quit your job and live in poverty" is a new level of libertarian nonsense. There's a variety of reasons that people stay at an awful job, whether it be social pressure, fear of...y'know, living in poverty, or the fact that they already went to university to study for that job and are stuck in the sunk cost. Wage slavery is also a thing, and there are a lot of people living paycheck to paycheck even in the US, who can't afford an emergency if it happens to come up.

These sorts of companies are so common in Japan that they actually have a specific term for them - Black Companies - and the resulting death by overwork that is caused by this system - karoshi. It's such a problem internationally that the World Health Organization has been warning about it.
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:37 am Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:

Honestly, I thought I was used to your bad anime takes, but "just quit your job and live in poverty" is a new level of libertarian nonsense. There's a variety of reasons that people stay at an awful job, whether it be social pressure, fear, or the fact that they already went to university to study for that job and are stuck in the sunk cost. Wage slavery is also a thing, and there are a lot of people living paycheck to paycheck even in the US, who can't afford an emergency if it happens to come up.

This seems to be the specific issue with the mc. He said it in the episode: this is the job he studied for at the company he thought had a good track record. The idea that it's easy to just give up on what you spent 4+ years studying for and settle for a min wage job in a "low cost of living area" is naive. Frankly, the show isn't even saying he made the right decisions in life, it seems to be implying the opposite. Hindsight is 20:20.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:18 am Reply with quote
@meiam

Apparently it is not as easy as you think to quit a job in Japan. The quote below is from the Associated Press and was in our local paper Sunday.

Quote:
TOKYO — In Japan, a nation reputed for loyalty to companies and lifetime employment, people who job-hop are often viewed as quitters. And that's considered shameful.

Enter "taishoku daiko," or "job-leaving agents." Dozens of such services have sprung up in the last several years to help people who simply want out.

"Imagine a messy divorce," says Yoshihito Hasegawa, who heads Tokyo-based TRK, whose Guardian service last year advised 13,000 people on how to resign from their jobs with minimal hassles.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:40 am Reply with quote
I really, really enjoyed the first episode of My Happy Marriage, but this part of the synopsis worries me
Quote:
Miyo barely has enough left in her to hope, assuming that because she lacks Spirit-Sight she'll be rejected and die on the streets as her parents intended

I don't remember this coming up once in the episode (unless I somehow missed it?). And I don't really see why it exists, the plot seems works just fine without it and it seems tacked on just to have an obligatory supernatural element. Maybe the later episodes will prove me wrong, I hope.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:07 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Sekaro wrote:
Never watched a single episode of Tenperu but through reading the reviews, it seemed sorta familiar to the manga Hatsukoi Zombies with the MC sharing somewhat similar qualities & the dad situation too but delving deeper would be going into spoiler territory. However, the latter series is actually a unique & competent rom-con while the former sounds like a dumpster fire... And yet it gets an anime but not the masterpiece that is Hatsukoi Zombies. The world really is unfair...

As someone who read every chapter of Hatsukoi Zombie, I'm not seeing the similarities?

Well thats why I said its just "sorta" familiar like reading the reviews for Tenpuru vaguely reminded me of Hatsukoi Zombie. its not a 1:1 identical comparison. The MC in Tenpuru is attempting to suppress his sexual urges but ends up blowing it all out after bottling it all in. The MC in Hatsukoi isnt intentionally suppressing it but he has suppressed it sub-consciously which gave rise to an awakening of his sexual urges when "it" happened.

The dad situation I mentioned is a more apparent comparison though Tenpuru's is a lot more scummy in a sense. The dad from Tenpuru is said to have left his family to mingle with other women & ALSO left them in debt. (Spoiler)The dad in Hatsukoi Zombie spoiler[didn't really left his family but is more or less in the "left to buy milk" situation since he loves women so much that he'd devote his life to seeing imaginary dream girls than spend time with his family.] In that way, I find the 2 kinda similar.
InNeedOfAName

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:36 am Reply with quote
To those who plan on watching Dark Gathering on a weekly basis, just know that it will be going on for a total of 25 consecutive episodes, so it'll be airing all the way till the end of the year.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:41 am Reply with quote
Haven’t watched too much (and honestly looking at the PVs, this might be a backlog season for me more than anything), but I have hopes for Zom100 and My Happy Marriage!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:57 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
I really, really enjoyed the first episode of My Happy Marriage, but this part of the synopsis worries me
Quote:
Miyo barely has enough left in her to hope, assuming that because she lacks Spirit-Sight she'll be rejected and die on the streets as her parents intended

I don't remember this coming up once in the episode (unless I somehow missed it?). And I don't really see why it exists, the plot seems works just fine without it and it seems tacked on just to have an obligatory supernatural element. Maybe the later episodes will prove me wrong, I hope.

I'm current with the English releases of the novels (so through volume four), and the supernatural element is more of a subplot. The main drive of the story is Miyo coming to understand that she's a worthwhile human being while Kiyoka learns that it's okay to trust others to have his best interests at heart. It is a love story, first and foremost.

The supernatural stuff is mostly world building related - basically it's like a way to stratify society and to give Miyo an extra reason to be insecure. There are moments when it becomes more central - spoiler[certain types of powers are considered more dangerous, and they run in Miyo's maternal bloodline], but honestly it's more of a way to write about the class system without writing about the class system. I wouldn't let it scare you off from the series, because unless they make major changes, Miyo and Kiyoka are the heart of it.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:59 am Reply with quote
Hal14 wrote:
flamemasterelan wrote:

Honestly, I thought I was used to your bad anime takes, but "just quit your job and live in poverty" is a new level of libertarian nonsense. There's a variety of reasons that people stay at an awful job, whether it be social pressure, fear, or the fact that they already went to university to study for that job and are stuck in the sunk cost. Wage slavery is also a thing, and there are a lot of people living paycheck to paycheck even in the US, who can't afford an emergency if it happens to come up.

This seems to be the specific issue with the mc. He said it in the episode: this is the job he studied for at the company he thought had a good track record. The idea that it's easy to just give up on what you spent 4+ years studying for and settle for a min wage job in a "low cost of living area" is naive. Frankly, the show isn't even saying he made the right decisions in life, it seems to be implying the opposite. Hindsight is 20:20.

He worked at 1 company, he hasn't tried any others. He hasn't tried to get payed for his overtime. He hasn't tried not working overtime. He tried nothing at all. The problem isn't that he made a bad choice, the problem is that he hasn't tried making good choice or any choice at all. He's like the the Austin Power steamroller guy, except he had 3 year to get out of the way. Sure poverty would suck, but why does he need money anyway, he has literally 0 free time, what good does money do to him?

And as far as money, the zombie apocalypse just instantly made him poor, he'll never get a yen from the company ever again, so clearly money isn't an issue. And yet he's really happy, his entire attitude is: "why would I care about anybody but me". Imagine on 9/11 they interviewed some guy that was going in to work that day and the guy reacted like the MC, while body were falling behind him. And then realize that this is a more generous take because it doesn't mean that all his friend/family are also dead (which he spare no thought for, although tbf I wouldn't be surprised if he had no friends and his family abandoned him), along with the majority of the human race. In a story, when the apocalypse happens and a character is gleeful about it, we call those character the "bad guy" or "the evil one" and there's a good reason, his complete utter lack of empathy is shocking.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Really hope Reign of the Seven Spellblades eventually becomes something of breakout in the animedom or at least gets more visibility than it has right now. The novels are fantastic and have all the ingredients to become something truly special on screen. Its really come down how ep 2 and ep 3 presents the story, characters and the moment to moment beats before the "real plot" kicks in around ep 5. EDIT: (well one of more interesting facets of the plot since there is a lot going on beyond that just that point.)

I would also be pleased if the adaptation goes as far anime vol 4 or 5 without rushing.

Last edited by Iron Maw on Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:15 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
flamemasterelan wrote:

He worked at 1 company, he hasn't tried any others. He hasn't tried to get payed for his overtime. He hasn't tried not working overtime. He tried nothing at all. The problem isn't that he made a bad choice, the problem is that he hasn't tried making good choice or any choice at all. He's like the the Austin Power steamroller guy, except he had 3 year to get out of the way. Sure poverty would suck, but why does he need money anyway, he has literally 0 free time, what good does money do to him?

And as far as money, the zombie apocalypse just instantly made him poor, he'll never get a yen from the company ever again, so clearly money isn't an issue. And yet he's really happy, his entire attitude is: "why would I care about anybody but me". Imagine on 9/11 they interviewed some guy that was going in to work that day and the guy reacted like the MC, while body were falling behind him. And then realize that this is a more generous take because it doesn't mean that all his friend/family are also dead (which he spare no thought for, although tbf I wouldn't be surprised if he had no friends and his family abandoned him), along with the majority of the human race. In a story, when the apocalypse happens and a character is gleeful about it, we call those character the "bad guy" or "the evil one" and there's a good reason, his complete utter lack of empathy is shocking.

“Why is he not upset about not having money now that society has collapsed?” Gee I wonder which part of that question answers itself. There is a stunning lack of empathy being displayed here, but it’s not from the show or the character.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:48 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

So a couple of things:

Presumably, all of this work money is going to bills. His wage is like US$2000 per month. Second, for anyone who's curious about the work culture shown in Zom100, we have a lot of Answerman articles about this. I get the impression you aren't very familiar with Japanese work culture if you think someone can just 'get' their overtime, go home, keep their job, etc. It's a broken system, and the problems are also cultural. It's very easy to say, "Well, I would just quit," but there is a reason people can't just get another job.

Are Japanese Offices Really That Horrible? (from 2018)

Quote:
Japanese office life can be extremely difficult. There's a deep-seated culture of constantly having to prove your loyalty by staying later than everyone else, of being ashamed to be the first one to leave, and of taking as little time off of work as possible.[..]Sexism aside, other aspects of Japanese office life have actually gotten worse. The shrinking labor market means that companies are hiring fewer people and expecting them to work harder. Every year there's a spate of suicides by office workers that just can't take the overtime anymore. While overtime is seldom officially made mandatory, it's often made clear that it's not optional -- you simply have to get the work done and there aren't enough hours in the day. Many employees intentionally don't even log their overtime hours so as not to get their department in trouble.

The problem has gotten so bad, journalists and rights activists have started publicly shaming companies that push their employees to the breaking point. Last year the list of so-called "black companies" included public broadcaster NHK, Panasonic, as well as several construction companies, a courier company, a supermarket chain and a pharmaceutical company. In 2016, the award went to Dentsu, the famous advertising giant that once owned Geneon. Many anime studios are starting to get the reputation of being "black companies" too.

Bullying of junior employees by superiors can be severe as well. Restaurant chain Watami won the Black Company Award two years in a row after a well-publicized employee suicide. One manager reported regularly working from 7am to midnight with almost no breaks -- literally working 119 hour weeks. It was reported that the CEO would leave messages on employee paycheck envelopes like, "you should reflect on your sales this month by killing yourself." (The CEO refused to meet with or apologize to the suicide victim's family until they took him to court.)

Do Japanese Businessmen Really Drink As Much As I've Heard?
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2015-08-14/.91651

Quote:
In virtually every company, being invited out with the team or the boss for after-work drinks is an important bonding ritual. Since so much of office life is about being polite and not saying what you really think, getting drunk together is an essential tool for venting frustrations and letting it all hang out, as they say. Attendance is not literally mandatory, but not joining in can be a surefire way to torpedo your career because nobody will like you after that. Especially not your boss. The same goes for showing up and not drinking alcohol. [...]In a country where it's the societal norm to push people to drink as much as possible, and where beer and canned cocktails are available in many vending machines and most convenience stores, there is almost nothing there to keep someone from developing a real addiction. If you're one of the unlucky people who is predisposed to become an alcoholic, it's hard to imagine a way around becoming one...In 2013, a government study estimated that 1.09 million Japanese people are battling alcoholism, but the total number of people who could conceivably have a problem is estimated to be ten times that.

What Will Become Of Takahata's Legacy?
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2018-08-15/.135488

Quote:
There's an insane amount of work, pressure, and dedication involved in creating stuff, be it animation or live action. That's not a Japan thing or an animation thing, that's an everywhere thing. People who work on sets regularly work 16-18 hour days, 6 days per week. People who make movies and TV shows almost always end up sacrificing their personal lives and their health for the work. And that's in North America. Consider that Japan's work culture is already notorious for pushing people to the brink, and people working to death is a real societal problem.

Is Working To Death Really A Thing In Japan?
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-10-21/.107911

Quote:
Karoshi is a sudden death that usually takes the form of a heart attack, heart failure or stroke in someone way too young to die from things like that, although it also often takes the form of suicide. It's brought about by prolonged stress, extreme fatigue and overwork, malnutrition, and probably way too much caffeine and possibly alcohol. It first became a problem in Japan in the 70s and 80s, but it also happens in South Korea (where it's called "gwarosa") and increasingly, in China (where it's called "guolaosi").

The roots of karoshi are a toxic mix of deep rooted cultural behaviors and corporate insecurity, and it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. Japanese corporate culture already values people staying way too late, self-sacrifice and other displays of dedication. During the post-war reconstruction and economic boom, the idea of giving yourself almost entirely for the sake of a company, which in exchange would give you lifetime employment, took deep root in Japanese society. It became part of an employee's duty to do their absolute best at everything, no matter how hard it is or how much it destroys you. (Sound familiar, kids?)[...]Selflessness at the office quickly turns into self-flaglation. Overtime doesn't get counted because it would cause trouble for the company, and anyway, if you only knew your job better it would probably be unnecessary. If you don't work harder, the project will fail, and it will be your fault for letting down the team. It's hard, but ganbarimasu! Before long, you have people working 80-110 hours per week, every week. It's full-fledged workaholism, which is a real thing.

Examples of this system that we've written about on ANN:
Government Investigation Finds 37% of Businesses in Japan Are Guilty of Illegal Overtime Work: animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2021-08-25/government-investigation-finds-37-percent-of-businesses-in-japan-are-guilty-of-illegal-overtime-work/.176623

Quote:
Of the locations where overwork was confirmed, 33.5%, or 2,982 locations, were found to have cases of working more than 80 hours of overtime per month. 4.7%, or 419 locations, had people working more than 150 hours per month.

Studio 4°C Production Employee Gets Repaid 2.8 Million Yen in Unpaid Overtime
http://4NN.cx/.161004
[the employee had to file a lawsuit]

Madhouse Production Assistant Hospitalized for Overwork, Demands Compensation for Unpaid Overtime
http://4NN.cx/.145557
Quote:
Sakakura went into more detail about the Madhouse production assistant's situation: during crunch time, the assistant would work over 200 hours of overtime per month, and would be made to work all day and night even on weekends or public holidays. They had even collapsed due to overwork before and had been taken to hospital. Sakakura remarked that he has heard from a lot of people that "this is how the anime industry works."

Last edited by ANN_Lynzee on Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:53 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I really can't explain the mentality of a person stuck in a dead-end situation any better than the show has. All you can do is show it and people either get it or they don't, and if you don't; shrugs. If it doesn't resonate with you that's perfectly fine... however, the highlighted statement above is one of the most garbage human statements I've seen in a while (outside of twitter). You sound like the kind of person who would tell someone with clinical depression to "suck it up". Scrolling through these forumns, I used to think you were just kind of contrarian, but this take is really eye-opening.

meiam wrote:

9/11 is not remotely comparable to a zombie apocalypse. The closest real world comparison would be the COVID pandemic and many people were relieved to not physically go into work despite knowing that the pandemic had killed and affected millions. It's not like the MC went on twitter and typed "OMG, Zombie pandemic is the GOAT" or mocked the people who had died or transformed. He just acknowledged a personal benefit of an ongoing issue and found relief in it. At most he's selfish but it's not evil.
Uchay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:41 pm Reply with quote
After watching both GoHands titles I gotta wonder---why did they not pick psychological horror or suspense titles? Because whenever my eyes didn't hurt from some of the colors and camera angles, I couldn't help but feel an opressive, ill atmosphere from both these titles.

At first I legitmately thought the anime about the glasses girl was going to be a psychological thriller, with how opressive the whole setting felt, with those big, 3d open spaces that didn't mesh well with the 2d characters, making them look small and out of place. I kept expecting to see something happen and it did have me on the edge of my chair. The way the camera kept sticking to the floor is also something you usually see in horror titles...until I looked at the manga and realized it was a fluff romcom.

The one about the cat actually made me feel wary of the big guy, because the vibes of the rest of the animation just kept making me uneasy in a squirmy way.

Is this an artistic choice? Why use it on romcom/fluff titles? I just got out of these episodes feeling confused lol.

Even with the animation and direction issues, if they had adapted a horror title I can't help but feel like they would have done way, way better and maybe even elevated some titles with how uneasy the animation makes one feel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 17