• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:37 am Reply with quote
*sigh*

Trust Alan45 to take a perfectly innocent conversation and turn it creepy. Wink
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

I'd watch that. Innocent is for babies. Give me grit. Dirt.

Boyfriend of course only sees me blushing behind my pillow.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry, A Mystery, around here you can be your real DIRTY GIRL self. We won't tell. Twisted Evil
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:33 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Special Bonding Time that is a funny way to refer to the time you were duct taped to a dumpster.

The part I still don't get is how Blood got the cult deprogrammers I hired to watch Hunter X Hunter...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody besides me think that the opening music doesn't quite fit the slow, gentle pace of this show? I keep expecting to see the characters bust into dance moves.

Anyhow, the bullying flashback wasn't as bad as I expected. Which I'm glad of, honestly. Something really dark wouldn't have fit in with the show's overall tone.

And even I'm wondering if one of the heavy handed hints that Mahiru was dropping landed on Amane's head and injured something...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

When I saw the title for the episode, "The Angel in the Dream" I didn't realize it was gonna be one of those "dreams." Urgh. The dangers of watching an anime with a teenage boy protagonist. Kinda makes me wonder what that old song, "Angel of the Morning" is REALLY about...

And yes, I too was surprised at how low-key Amane's bullying story was. Assuming he wasn't glossing over some gory details to spare Mahiru's feelings, it did seem a bit soft to cause him to flee his home town. Sure being treated like an ATM by a trio of douches wouldn't be fun, but show a little grit, man.

I dunno, I'm not sure a wimp like Amane deserves the Angel. Maybe she should let Itsuki and Yuta Eiffel Tower her.

Come on, I HAD to post that. If I don't make at least one wildly inappropriate suggestion per post in this thread, y'all would assume my account had been hacked.
Netero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Nice bit of character assassination there from Project no. 9 because Mahiru doesn't ask Amane to sleep with her (which is what the dialog says, only it doesn't quite work out in English) at that point in the LN. I mean, she gets embarrassed enough over head pats, there's no way she's gonna be asking to re-enact his dream at this point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:33 pm Reply with quote
@ Netero - I was confused about that too because the subtitles clearly implied that's where she was going with that, yet from a character stand point that made no sense whatsoever. Do you have any idea what she was actually trying to say?
Netero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:24 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Do you have any idea what she was actually trying to say?

In the dialogue she says 添い寝, soine, which apparently means sleep together but not necessarily with sexual implications (which is important for spoiler[later on in the LN series]). She seems to lose her nerve at the last syllable, though, so Amane evidently only hears the soi- bit which is the "together" part and misses the -ne which is the "sleep" part so he's confused. The English subs then try to make a play on words about "so I" and "soy" when really he's asking her about what she means by "together". OK, sometimes you have to be very creative when translating things, but I don't think that really works.

In the LN, after a bit of umming and ahhing she just asks for head pats. Although there is a scene in a few chapters time where spoiler[she does ask him to sleep with her, but she's more than half asleep herself at the time so I don't think that counts. The theory is that they're going to skip that scene entirely because they have a lot to fit in the last two episodes, so they stuck the sleep request in now, which makes no sense at all]. Alternatively, maybe they felt it was spoiler[that later scene which seemed totally out of character so they started hinting about it here].

I suppose we have no idea how much input the original LN author is getting (shame it was Yen Press and not JNC because otherwise I might have been able to just get someone to ask them). From what I've read, it seems that anime series like Ascendance of a Bookworm, where the author closely supervised the whole thing, are very much the exception. So we'll probably never know whether this change was the studio's decision or the author's.

Last edited by Netero on Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:19 am Reply with quote
I really appreciate that input, Netero. It was bothering me, so I worked out that Mahiru meant spooning and then stopped when she realized that it might have sexual implications because nothing else made sense with the rest of the series thus far. But I just filed it away among a lot of other weird, inconsistent moments that I've seen since becoming an anime fan.

So there's some evil organization called Project no. 9 huh? And they accomplish their vague, nefarious goals through agents who work in the anime subtitling industry?

(If I had a lot of different colored spools of thread lying around, I'd already be putting pictures from different anime on the wall and starting a conspiracy theory)
Netero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:30 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I wonder what old-time SHAFT could have made of an extremely dialogue-heavy show like this.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:52 am Reply with quote
Yes, Netero, thank you very much for that explanation, appreciate it.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:57 am Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
Sometimes I wonder what old-time SHAFT could have made of an extremely dialogue-heavy show like this.

Welp, episode 11 certainly fits this bill. The second to last episodes are often my least favorite. Sometimes, it's like writing Happy Birthday on a sign, and they realize that they haven't left enough space for "Birthday" so they start cramming stuff in. Other times, it's like they're going to have to stop earlier than they'd like because they don't want to open up the next arc, so they stretch things out a bit.

I like this show, but this episode left me feeling like someone had served me a three course meal and it turned our to be cotton candy. Like...I dunno...the episode could have been 5 minutes long and didn't really add anything tangible that we haven't already seen multiple times. It would have been touching if it wasn't the couch scene from the previous two or three episodes.

Still waiting for next week though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:17 am Reply with quote
Edjwald, the way you felt about episode 11 is kind of how I feel about this whole show. I'm not sure I've ever seen an anime with this limited of a setting. It literally feels like 90% of it has been two people talking on a sofa. And unlike with My Dinner with Andre, the conversation has not been scintillating. I think I've made the point before but Tomo-chan is a Girl! demonstrated the importance of having engaging secondary characters and situations to take the load off of a limited central premise. The Ice Guy and His Cool Female Colleague is another show that fell into the "too repetitive" trap, imo, but at least it had a cute fox girl in it.

The frustrating thing with Angel is it had elements it could have played with but just didn't. Mahiru's mother was absolutely horrendous but that strand went no where. Amane's, uh, "bullied" past could have been dramatic fodder but wasn't. The show could have had Amane's friends who were in a relationship have some sort of conflict but I guess there was a danger of that being interesting so it is off limits?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:37 am Reply with quote
I guess where we differ is that I like Amane's friends better than I like the friends in Ice Guy and his Cool Colleague. I like the friends in Tomo-chan better than either show. On the other hand, as frustrating as Amane's denseness/shyness has been, I have more invested in the romantic tension between Amane and Mahiru than I do between Tomo-chan and Jun. I don't dislike either of them separately, I just don't care about them as romantic leads.

But I definitely see what you mean about the mom and the bullied past bits not being plumbed or played out. I haven't minded the repetition of the couch scene up till this episode and the last one because there was some small but definite progression... I thought the small increments actually made sense and were kind of charming. But the last two shows haven't really been progressing, or if they have, it's been entirely one sided, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if Mahiru went to the local zoo and asked if she could borrow a trank gun and some manacles.

Still, the show is drawn well and has good background piano music, and I feel empathy for the characters, so for me, it's been a nice way to pass 20 minutes at a time for the most part. Hope next episode delivers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7