• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Apothecary Diaries Novels About Palace Intrigue Get 2023 TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naotomato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:57 pm Reply with quote
So everything on a previous article is getting animated then

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2020-03-24/180000-manga-readers-vote-for-their-most-wanted-anime-adaptation/.157867

I dropped this series. I couldn't stand spoiler[when she started to get turned on after being poisoned and she (the FL MC) couldn't figure out that the guy in the palace was the CP when it was obvious that it was him that was flirting with her because he was a eunuch (which is probably a lie.)]
tsog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Naotomato wrote:

Nope act-age is not
RenimLS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Naotomato wrote:

I dropped this series. I couldn't stand spoiler[when she started to get turned on after being poisoned and she (the FL MC) couldn't figure out that the guy in the palace was the CP when it was obvious that it was him that was flirting with her because he was a eunuch (which is probably a lie.)]

I think it was more of getting a rush from the experience. Maomao doesn't really seem to have much, if any, of a sex drive. spoiler[This is kind emphasized when she made the chocolates with aphrodisiac for a request , and kept the leftovers to eat later as a snack to not waste it.]

spoiler[Officially he's the Imperial Brother, the younger brother to the Emperor, and that is unlikely to change. Additionally it's not like she couldn't figure it out, it's more that it's uninteresting to her and she tends to ignore the things she has no interest in unless it's forced down her throat. Second, before he came out officially as the Imperial Brother, he was taking the medication the eunuchs have to regularly take. Gaoshun In particular warns him that taking the medication for too long and he'd likely become impotent.][/spoiler]
ChaosWarrior95

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:36 am Reply with quote
THAT SOUNDTRACK!!!! I was hooked from the very start. I have no idea what this is about, but I NEED to watch it.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:45 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I'm hoping this adapts 4 LN volumes, I feel like that's close to an 'arc' of sorts being finished

Ahaha, the manga (published by Square Enix) hasn't even finished covering 3 LNs!!! (v11 comes out in Japanese this month and maybe that'll get close.) I can't imagine the anime doing all that without paring things down a lot or feeling like a whirlwind. Each LN in this series feels pretty dense with stuff going on, compared to other series I've read. But each comes to a pretty decent self-contained conclusion point, so I trust they'll find a way to make a satisfying ending for an anime season !
LaraCK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Finally, it will happen. Can't wait. It would also be great if someone made a modern adaptation of Arthur Miller's Crucible. The story of the Salem witch trials is incredibly relevant today, and I think it would be great to see how the themes of fear, hysteria, and mass hysteria are portrayed in a modern setting. I recently came across a paper at https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/the-crucible/ where the author suggested some great ideas to implement. This is my favorite play, and I feel that Crucible in the form of a TV show or movie would be a valuable addition to the literary canon and a critical reflection of our modern society.

Last edited by LaraCK on Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
moozooh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:44 am Reply with quote
Been waiting for it for years. Super glad to see how much effort they're putting into this adaptation; both the visuals and the music are on point. OLM is really cementing itself as an A-grade studio lately. Pretty much all of their output in the last couple years has been of far better quality than anyone expected.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:49 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I'm hoping this adapts 4 LN volumes, I feel like that's close to an 'arc' of sorts being finished

I really hope for the same. Rumors are it will be a 2-cour series so adapting 4 volumes in 24 eps should be ideal. And it is the best place to end the initial adaptation.

Plus, it will be a pity not to get spoiler[Loulan as the great (not)anagonist].
Ruri Lee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Kind of wish someone else was cast as Maomao instead of Aoi Yuki.
She's OK but not a great choice. She's better at upbeat roles, but tends to drone in quiet roles.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:24 am Reply with quote
kurichan69 wrote:
Someone here commented about both Myne and Maoamo having "deeply disturbing fixations" Rolling Eyes

If you're going to quote me to roll your eyes at me, at least do me the favor of actually quoting (and responding) to the words I said. And if you're just going to imagine I said something else, don't use quotation marks. That's just plain impolite. Your "disturbing" is an invention of your own mind.

Shay Guy wrote:
Yeah, that's pretty much what I think Fluwm was getting at. Maomao is deeply enthusiastic about things that cause migraines for the people who have to look out for her.

What I said was, "deeply unhealthy fixations." Poison is -- quite literally -- a deeply unhealthy thing to ingest, let alone on a regular basis, let alone as a hobby. And (for both of these characters) their Special Interest is depicted, functionally, as analagous to an autistic hyperfixation. Which basically means that they can't not focus on it to the exclusion of everything else.

Likewise, over in Bookworm, we've got Myne literally collapsing from exhaustion because she's so fixated on books that she forgets to eat. Which, you know, is also -- very literally -- deeply unhealthy behavior.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Ruri Lee wrote:
Kind of wish someone else was cast as Maomao instead of Aoi Yuki.
She's OK but not a great choice. She's better at upbeat roles, but tends to drone in quiet roles.

I personally at the opposite opinion here. Her most famous "upbeat" role (Hibiki from Symphogear) is her most hated role for me, while I adore her playing calmer or more mature characters (like Flammy from Roka no Yuusha or Lucy from Cyberpunk: Edgerunners).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3