• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Pop Team Epic Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:56 am Reply with quote
Animelo Summer Live 2018 had a great Hellshake performance:

https://twitter.com/ACbu_official/status/1334086587961884672

seoulman1985

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:50 am Reply with quote
We're in the Big Shell again!? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:49 pm Reply with quote
The real question is where Magma Mixer Murata is in all of this.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:47 am Reply with quote
I think my skin peeled off of my flesh from the cringe.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:15 am Reply with quote
I instantly recognized Megumi Ogata. It felt like Toei's Yu-Gi-Oh! where Yami Yugi was quite serious when dealing with everybody. Also, we are going to Brazil then.

I hope Beckett recovers.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:48 pm Reply with quote
PTE2 Episode 9:
Square Enix: After a couple of ads, we want to finally make a sketch based on our acclaimed money-ma... we mean MMORPG, Final Fantasy 14. What can you do for us?
Production committee: *laughing casually* IT'S TWINNING.MP4 TIME (and also Titan EX jokes that only people that played since ARR know because of how potato servers were during that time)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Not being a gamer and knowing nothing about the Twinning, that was delightful. Even better is this interview with the dancer. He seems like a nice guy.

Loved the Bump-Boo Crusaders gig. The art style and animation were perfection, like rather than copying that vibe, they had really plucked an old episode out of the past. It kind of reminded me (as did Jimmy Podsworth's newsletter) of one of those creepypastas about low-wattage tv channel that someone recalls from their childhood but only broadcast in one remote village and no one else remembers how twisted it was, or some eerie variation on that horror theme. Does anyone know what school uniform the Iidabashi Alliance crew were wearing? Again, they look so familiar, but I can't place them, or what they might be riffing on.

So is this an artifact of my browser's inability to handle alt characters, or is this rendering of Cthuo's name part of the joke? It works, either way.

(click for larger image)
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So is this an artifact of my browser's inability to handle alt characters, or is this rendering of Cthuo's name part of the joke? It works, either way.

(click for larger image)
It's an intentional classic meme called zalgo text - and because C̶͙̻̓͗̅̉̀͜ţ̶͔̝̼͎̗̇͜h̶̦̹̎̑͆̓̐̉͑́͝͠ư̴̛͖̙̙͕̘̣̱͒́͗͘͘o̸̢̖͓̦̭̬̰̺̩̤͒́̀̇͂͂ is an homage to the Lovecraftian being, it's used pretty straight.
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Yup, this was the Evangelion episode. The casting of Mugihito was convenient and with good cause because if Kiyokawa Motomu hadn't passed away this year from pneumonia, he would have been Tachiki's co-star.

For context, Kiyokawa played Vice Commander Fuyutski, Gendou Ikari's right hand man. Mugihito, meanwhile, was the voice of the main SEELE council member (wearing what looked like a VR headset), while ALSO playing a similar role in PTE Season 1 as a member of the conspiratorial committee that tried to off the girls in episode 12.

Washuzan Highland is an actual theme park in Okayama, definitely famous for it's Brazil themed section, and the infamous Sky Cycle! You ride strapped in a cycling coaster that is just elevated and flat (no dips, bumps, or drops) while enjoying a scenic view of the city!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWyZ4MCrVaM
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:28 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
It's an intentional classic meme called zalgo text

Thanks! I've seen that before, but since my browser frequently renders things off kilter (like, no matter what settings I use, I can't make the "Your Anime Rankings" graphs align properly) I never knew what to make of it. And apparently, it's actually used to glitch things up. Fascinating.

Hmm, I wonder if the eldritch gods made me mention creepypastas, even in my ignorance of the zalgo text origins. That can't be a coincidence, can it?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:11 am Reply with quote
I wish I could rate this episode with Level 6 stars out of 5 for reuniting my boys Touma and Accelerator. The otter skit was enough to have me cheering in joy.

Unfortunately, the good vibes from this episode were ruined by this farcical swill masquerading as a review. Entry #2 erroneously has the same screenshot as entry #3. This is an unacceptable failure of journalism. Fire whoever is responsible immediately, lest I cancel my subscription.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:59 am Reply with quote
PTE2 Episode 12:

Production Committee: Well, it's final episode of our kuso anime. How do we suppose to end this madness of a season?
Creative team: We will just not do anime.
Production Committee: Wait, what?
Creative team: You saw that live-action Kamen Rider sort of parody thing with Aoi Shouta called Endless L.O.V.E, that we did at the beginning of the season? It's gonna be THIS.
Production Committee: Ooooooooook.
Creative team: And it's not gonna be 12 minutes this week, but a full episode.
Production Committee: All riiiiiiiiight, maybe it will wooooork...
Creative team: And we're gonna ask Koichi Sakamoto to direct our action scenes.
Production Committee: E-eh?
Creative team: Also we're gonna have Yuuichi Nakamura (actor) - but there will be two alternate versions of him, but one of them gonna be dubbed over by Yuuichi Nakamura (seiyuu).
Production Committee: Aaaaaaah...
Creative team: By the way - the main villain? He's gonna be played by Takanori Nishikawa, and screw it that he isn't even affiliated with King Records. And yes — of course, he's gonna wear the tight leather suit from his stage performances - because really, man is still friggin sexy even in his sixties.
Production Committee: Well, ok, we can guess that's gonna be wild enough for the ending... But hey, what about Pop Team Epic at all?
Creative team: Oh, that's the best part. Imagine you have a climactic battle between our hero and villain, and in the middle of it there in tokusatsu crossover movie fashion gonna appear the Popukos and Pipimis from every episode of this season and beat villain mooks in very limited by-frames animation. You know, like it's Ninja Slayer from Trigger.
Production Committee: Wait, what the... are you even imagining what the heck you trying to pull off there? Really, can we even do that with what we actually have?
Creative team: OH YES WE'RE GONNA DO IT. ALSO, GUYS, DON'T FORGET TO CALL AC-BU AND UCHU PEOPLE TO MAKE SOME ADS. AND ALSO CALL SHUICHI IKEDA FOR THE FINAL TWIST — 'CAUSE WE'RE GONNA ROLL TONIGHT.
*leaving while flipping middle fingers*
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:32 am Reply with quote
Now that season 2 is over, you have to answer the most important question: “Would you buy the Pop Team Epic 2 Blu-Rays?”
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:42 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Now that season 2 is over, you have to answer the most important question: “Would you buy the Pop Team Epic 2 Blu-Rays?”
Well, time to meme it over with "Do you people not have agencies to send them there?"
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:06 am Reply with quote
My favorite new segment was definitely the VA corner at the end of each half where they either tried following the script or just completely ignored it and made their own jokes, but I felt like this had way weaker musical segments in comparison to the first. Still, I liked it better overall, and this ending episode was great
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4