• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Anime's Dub Casts Alain Mesa as Chad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:14 am Reply with quote
@Ultimate N

Weird how the majority of people, according to you, “don’t care” yet share your very deep cares that a minority got a roll you have decided they don’t deserve. Price stepped down on his own. Alain *auditioned* and got it. You’re pretending it got handed to him because that makes a racist narrative more palatable when all you’re doing is making up both reactions and reasons to justify your knowingly out of place feelings are. Because if you did actually believe them to be true you wouldn’t have to make that stuff up. A big trend in the thread overall to launder a lot of racist nonsense.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:35 am Reply with quote
wing-zero-strike wrote:
It sounds like it was Price’s personal decision, and I’m so happy to see the role go to a Cuban-American! Especially given the current US administration’s racist policies against Cuban immigrants, seems like good timing.

I looked up some of Alain Mesa’s other work - he actually does a great job in MW2. I understand casting changes can be rough to fans, but I do hope people keep their (polite and respectful) criticisms on Price’s decision, and not personally towards Mesa. He deserves a fair chance, and I think he’ll be great in this role!

While I don't care whoever is voicing Chad in English is a Latino or not, I should note that his new VA is Cuban-American, and he is voicing a Mexican-Japanese character, and traditionally, Cuban accents are rarely used, at least in Spanish dubs, outside some stuff like Scarface, the Mambo Kings or anything involving ethnic Cubans, for serious stuff, unless you are dubbing a comedy.

For English speakers, that would be the equivalent of hiring a Jamaican actor for voicing or playing a black person from Atlanta or the American south, while faking an American accent.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:53 am Reply with quote
You know, I expected this thread to be filled with the usual people who are upset about anybody being actively anti-racist, but I'm surprised at the people who thin Price had some other secret reason for declining the role. Is it really that hard to believe that a popular actor who has no shortage of other work would intentionally decline a minor role (by the way, Chad basically does nothing in the final arc of Bleach) so that somebody of a minority group could take the spot?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:58 am Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
That's not what the goal is though. This is not about matching actor ethnicities to characters. It's purely about there being less white actors in the industry because there's too many of them. It has nothing to do with accuracy, it's just about creating more roles for non-white actors. So that will mean Japanese anime characters will be played by non-white and non-Asian actors without any controversy. Kimberley Campbell voicing Nagatoro is good because it's a black actor getting a role. The ethnicity of the character doesn't matter since it's not about casting a Japanese actor for a Japanese character. It's only about lessening the white dominance of the industry.
He literally said he was not playing this character due to his ethnicity, and the actor who replaced him, while I'm sure voice talent was a huge part of it, was picked to match his ethnicity. You even go on to cite a black VA getting a role as a black(or at least mixed race) character, not just a black VA getting a lead role, right after claiming it's not about matching ethnicity. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered that Price decided against the role or who they cast to replace him, but that is the reason why.

If you said this about say the new actor for Tai in Digimon, also a character from an older Anime being replaced by a none white actor, that would ring true. As matching ethnicity clearly had nothing to do with it. Which I argue is more of a positive as an actor got to play a character they liked, with their background being completely irrelevant.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:11 am Reply with quote
People are acting like he was forced to step down, but he even says that it was his decision, so I don't get why people are so upset.

It's all a moot point anyway, since Chad probably has like a dozen lines in the whole arc, unless the anime enlarges his role.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:47 am Reply with quote
wing-zero-strike wrote:
It sounds like it was Price’s personal decision, and I’m so happy to see the role go to a Cuban-American! Especially given the current US administration’s racist policies against Cuban immigrants,

Yeahhhhh quite a tangent. Especially given the head of the last administration not being fond of Mexicans.
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:58 am Reply with quote
@ATastySub

you're misquoting my "don't care" part, I was admitting to the fact that there are casual fans who don't follow any of this that are likely just gonna tune into the dub and just watch it without thinking about it.

While I can't speak for everyone I personally disagree with Price's decision, I will respect it in the sense that I won't harass him over it, but I will echo my disagreement over it.. The reason I disagree is because I don't think giving an actor a role you cemented yourself into is a good idea especially when it is so blatantly race focused.

You seem to imply I am mad that a PoC actor got a major role even tho I have made it pretty clear I still would've wanted said actor to get a major role in the show. My problem with them getting this specific role is that they are replacing an actor who only stepped down because of what can essentially be boiled down to "white guilt" I wasn't there when Bleach's casting took place so I don't know what happened but no matter what Price voiced Chad for 280 episodes and while he may not have been the first actor he became the definitive English voice for the character that many fans were hoping/expecting to see return.

Had any of the actors been recast people would've been frustrated. Also while yes I'm sure Alain did get this role from auditioning, he very likely had a much smaller pool of competition given again, Price literally admired to stepping down because he wanted a PoC actor to play a PoC character. I'm not completely opposed to the concept in general (tho I would argue unless the characters entire culture is explored it shouldn't really be necessary) but it's blatantly obvious this casting was based on race.

Fans don't care about what actor plays the character so long as its done well. I have a best friend of Hispanic descent who considers Chad to be their favorite character and was also, like me, genuinely upset by this recast as they loved Price's portrayal.

I did not bring race into this conversation, Price and the casting people, as well as all the fans celebrating this decision are the ones who brought race into this, I wanted the actor who had portrayed this character for years to come back and whoever regardless of race to portray new characters with excellence. I thought giving people equal opportunity was the goal of ending racism.
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Something I forgot to mention in all of my replies and my original post is also that Alain Mesa, while yes has not gotten the right to tell his race's story (even tho apparently he's Cuban not Mexican but whatever I guess Spanish is Spanish) is that with him replacing an actor part way he's either gonna have to do two things:

1. do a completely different performance which will only isolate long time fans even more and make people less happy about what should be an iconic English dub reunion
2. Replicate Price's portrayal which was already excellent in which case making the recasting feel even more pointless as the only difference between then and now is that it's a Hispanic person doing it. Alain Mesa's career shouldn't be moving forward because he can do a good impression of Jameson Price.

I will also state right now that I have no genuine ill will with anybody involved. I pray that Mesa does a good job and plays Chad like Price so that the transition is not jarring for fans like me who've watched then entire original Bleach anime dubbed. My reason for speaking about this is that I do not believe this practice should be continued, give actors more opportunities yes but not at the expense of recasting legacy characters for no reason other than that.. If the entire Sternritter army is composed of PoC actors in the dub and everyone else from the original cast came back I would not complain at all. I can't speak for everybody else but I would like to believe most share my opinion where we are happy with talented PoC actors being in major roles just so long as legacy characters stay consistent.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Ultimate N wrote:
I thought giving people equal opportunity was the goal of ending racism.

Price: does that
You: “white guilt!”
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Chad was not Price’s role nor did he define the character. Chad was Marc Worden’s role for at least a year before Price.
macattack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I disagree. Price played the role for much longer than Worden. As far as I'm concerned Price is effectively the legacy Chad voice actor.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:19 pm Reply with quote
That's erasing Worden's performance and important contribution to the character and shows to me this is nothing about Chad's legacy being tarnished or whatever and shows a double standard if you're fine with white actors replacing somebody else's role.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Ultimate N wrote:
Chad was Price's role, he defined that role, giving a hispanic man his role is giving him race-based special treatment. That is not equal opportunity, let the man audition for new roles that are not cast or replace actors who actually have retired and actually need new actors

Price didn't want the role. He retired from the role by his own volition.

He did not "give" it to the new actor. The new actor auditioned for it and earned it. That is not "special treatment." The actor retired, a new actor replaced him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:39 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Price didn't want the role. He retired from the role by his own volition.

He did not "give" it to the new actor. The new actor auditioned for it and earned it. That is not "special treatment." The actor retired, a new actor replaced him.

Adding on to this, it is entirely possible - even likely - that they auditioned a series of latino actors as a result of Price's wishes and then we ended up with the one whose voice most closely matched Price's performance (which he modeled after the original VA for Sado's character, FYI).
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I hope this new VA will have fun dubbing Chad's five lines during the complete arc Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7