• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Spy×Family

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:57 am Reply with quote
I'm probably alone in this, but I felt like Yor's big moment dealing with Keith got short-changed, animation-wise. Because they animate the fights so well usually (see Yor's awesome attack last week), with weight behind the kicks, I wanted to see Yor land dramatically on the street. But they suddenly cut to Keith's pov instead (so she was so tiny it wasn't very satisfying to see her distant landing). I wanted to feel the impact when she kicked the damn car, but they went for style instead and it felt like she missed it, and he just swerved to avoid her. I had to replay and look at it frame by frame to even be sure she made contact. And then when the camera angle changed, there was no damage to the side of the car that was previously bashed in from her kick (which damage again, I could only see in the couple of blink-and-you-miiss-it still frames they showed). So I felt a little cheated on that whole scene, though her hilariously polite call to the police somewhat soothed my chagrin. Smile

I am still wondering why Anna didn't read Bond's memories of his time in the lab, but I'm glad she missed out on that.

Otherwise, very nice arc. Welcome to the family, Bond! I hope your future missions are all as easy as eating everything and pooping in the right place.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:59 am Reply with quote
For a second I was scared that the comedy would decrease in favor of drama especially with possible death of Lloid/Twilight but thankfully it was solved well. Anya keeps having insane expressions thankfully with that one from the latest episode when trying to tell the classmate about Bond being amazing.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm probably alone in this, but I felt like Yor's big moment dealing with Keith got short-changed, animation-wise..

Now that you say it, this is kinda general. We have always seen Lloid/Twilght in action doing stuff but we barely got to see Yor doing her job. Guess it might not fit the series' demography
ab2143

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hands down, my favorite part is Yuri scarfing down Yor's cooking while simultaneously throwing it up, which is in no small part due to some stellar voice acting by Kensho Ono, Yuri's VA.

Dunno why but I found this scene to be better in the manga. However, I do agree that Kensho Ono did a great job with it!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:44 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm probably alone in this, but I felt like Yor's big moment dealing with Keith got short-changed, animation-wise..

Now that you say it, this is kinda general. We have always seen Lloid/Twilght in action doing stuff but we barely got to see Yor doing her job. Guess it might not fit the series' demography

Maybe her job becomes the focus of a later arc? Does seem left in the background so far, except for when it fits into a Lloid/Anya storyline gag.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:04 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

Maybe her job becomes the focus of a later arc?

Yes, but I'm not sure this season will adapt that far.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:33 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
We have always seen Lloid/Twilght in action doing stuff but we barely got to see Yor doing her job.

Yes, but at least those times we have seen her in action, it's usually been very satisfying in the way it's been presented, with solid execution of her skills. This time I was anticipating that ambush, but left wanting in how it played out on screen.

I agree with the review that they did a nicer job with the lethal cooking trope, giving it more weight and character development beyond "cooking with love makes it taste good," but it's still a lethal cooking trope, and if I never see one again, it'll be a blessing. It's visually funny, I guess, but I'm left wondering how she ended up with fish bones etc. in her dishes if Camilla was watching her at all.

Anyone else notice that in the ED Lloyd drinks two full bottles of wine at dinner? Yor can't be drinking even a quarter or she'd be passed out on the floor. Smile
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:09 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I agree with the review that they did a nicer job with the lethal cooking trope, giving it more weight and character development beyond "cooking with love makes it taste good," but it's still a lethal cooking trope, and if I never see one again, it'll be a blessing. It's visually funny, I guess, but I'm left wondering how she ended up with fish bones etc. in her dishes if Camilla was watching her at all.

Seconded. It's a very old trope, and not an especially entertaining one if you've seen it coming or if it drags on for far too long. Also it makes zero sense that she raised her brother by herself without knowing how to cook at least something edible. Ok it's comedy we're not supposed to be taking everything at face value, but Spy x Family has a really bad habit of pushing the boundaries of credibility even within the logic of its own universe, just to put its characters into the family situations that it wants.

I hope we get back to Anya-centric episodes again soon.
Philville

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
I'm enjoying the series, and fully agree that Anya is both the best part and feels like an actual child (as opposed to a child written like an adult), but Yor caused a bit of a disconnect for me. With how extremely gullible she seems to be and the general... spacey oblivious vibe she gives off I'm finding it hard to buy her as an assassin.

I feel that way about Yor, but as you say it's a comedy resting on the suspension of disbelief, and that naiveté is obviously meant to be endearing. I suppose "disconnect" is a pretty accurate way of describing the underlying dynamic of the comedy in this series. On some level it's a show about missing, and making, connections.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Loving how the show keeps balancing (sometimes over-the-top) comedy with a lingering sense of drama. Setting up for the climax when the mission ends and the scene with Loid accompanying Franky in his sadness, thinking of how he sad will be, was a little touching. A little because there is no way he or Yor will let that happen...Too bad Bond can't tell us...

P.S. I just realized that if Yor is pronounced in Japanese as "Yoru" as I think I am hearing, that means "night" if Tower of God is to be believed. Interesting tie-in to Twilight, what comes after...
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was torture.

There is nothing sadder than a woman who can't cook...or hilarious!
Rolling Eyes

Please, please Japan let this trope just die already. Its just feels lazy and that's 20 odd some minutes of my life I can't get back.

Ok, ok maybe I did snicker a bit at the end with the desert. The lead up and timing was good. However, everything before that was old hat and not particularly fun for me to watch.
poltroon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I think my very favorite moment in this episode was Anya using their combined powers to ask Bond-san what's for dinner. It's just the best and truest throwaway kind of thing a small child would do with that power.
Philville

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:46 pm Reply with quote
poltroon wrote:
I think my very favorite moment in this episode was Anya using their combined powers to ask Bond-san what's for dinner. It's just the best and truest throwaway kind of thing a small child would do with that power.

Yes, that was very in character and somehow true to life (as absurd as that sounds).

One-Eye wrote:
There is nothing sadder than a woman who can't cook...or hilarious!
Rolling Eyes

Please, please Japan let this trope just die already. Its just feels lazy and that's 20 odd some minutes of my life I can't get back.

It's definitely a tiring trope but to be fair it's still pretty present in Western entertainment, too. It's just that the "comedy" is framed somewhat differently because of differences in cultural sensitivity and humor.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Man, this episode felt like a nice change of pace after the dog story. It sure felt nice to see Damian from a different perspective. The last segment from Yuri and Yori was probably funnier than I expected considering how the former's actor had to change his tone a bit yet the joke was intact.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:34 am Reply with quote
"I can't see the original shape of the pasta! Amazing!" Very Happy I think this is maybe the first time I've seen anime vomit that wasn't rainbow colored. Really, it's a miracle Yuri survived his childhood.

I do not like tsunderes, but I think I like Damian anyway. Also like the idea of a jet-powered griffin (it can still fly even without wings! Sort of Gamera-esque, as mythical monsters go).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 20