• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Daily Wire's Matt Walsh Says All Anime is "Satanic"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
light turner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:38 am Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren wrote:
He was clearly joking with his "studies show" comment.

Poe's Law. The internet is filled with writers and commentators who say such outrageously insane stuff that should be an obvious joke but then you find out they're being 100% serious; like that one Paw Patrol article where the writer went on a huge breakdown on how the show promoted Trumpism and was indoctrinating kids to vote for Republican. It's hard to tell what's a bit and what's genuine these days because people are legitimately that wild.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:31 am Reply with quote
If he's saying Go! Princess Pretty Cure, where the heroes fight against spoiler[literal despair], is satanic, then I wonder if he thinks it's holy for people to suffer unjustly...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:35 am Reply with quote
I can’t think of a single reason to do this other than to rile up a core base against a group that enjoys something non-traditional to the boomer generation, which in turn to them means it’s bad. Not a single reason.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:23 am Reply with quote
Dude's probably just mad that a bunch of fictional "beta males" are getting way more female attention than Alissa has ever given him.

Think I'm joking? The man literally made a documentary called "What is a Woman?" earlier this year.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:26 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Think I'm joking? The man literally made a documentary called "What is a Woman?" earlier this year.

A "documentary"... where he tricked people into giving interviews under false pretenses, and then when they realized what was going on and refused to continue, he edited the footage to make them seem like morons. Among other amazingly ethical documentary things.
americananimotk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Even as a Christian that loves anime, the worst that I find out of mainstream anime is that it can get quite immature. Even when demons are involved in the story, they are usually the villains or working at a cut rate McDonalds clone.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:11 pm Reply with quote
He went for 87 percent, because it's the closest to his favorite number, 88.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think it's all Satanic. I have no argument for it -- I have no argument for why it's Satanic, it just seems that way to me

Lmao. This isn't newsworthy lol. Random guy says random thing. Has no reason or explanation for it other than a statement that he likes saying random stuff.

Last edited by Mr. sickVisionz on Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:48 pm Reply with quote
And he tries to respond to the criticism he got with sarcastic humor... not a good look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybh_0beD2H4
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:07 am Reply with quote
I've followed Matt for a while and he's never been good at telling jokes. His specialty is sarcasm.
Speedy Boris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:51 am Reply with quote
I can't take anyone who says "Adults shouldn't watch cartoons" seriously.

That said, to play devil's advocate for a second, let's not kid ourselves: There are quite a few anime with explicitly satanic themes (or at the very least, generic demonic themes): Seven Mortal Sins, How Not to Summon a Demon Lord, The Demon Girl Next Door, The Devil is a Part-Timer, Demon Lord Dante, Demon King Daimao, High School DxD, Testament of Sister New Devil, etc. Doesn't make the medium as a whole "satanic" though.

At any rate, we should probably stop talking about it because a reaction is what a troll like this wants.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:19 am Reply with quote
Speedy Boris wrote:
I can't take anyone who says "Adults shouldn't watch cartoons" seriously.

That said, to play devil's advocate for a second, let's not kid ourselves: There are quite a few anime with explicitly satanic themes (or at the very least, generic demonic themes): Seven Mortal Sins, How Not to Summon a Demon Lord, The Demon Girl Next Door, The Devil is a Part-Timer, Demon Lord Dante, Demon King Daimao, High School DxD, Testament of Sister New Devil, etc. Doesn't make the medium as a whole "satanic" though.

At any rate, we should probably stop talking about it because a reaction is what a troll like this wants.

EXACTLY!!!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:17 am Reply with quote
Speedy Boris wrote:

Thing is though, when it comes to manga, in, I wouldn't be surprised, the majority of cases in works with demon-themes, the demons are the GOOD guys, and whoever the church, priests, gods/goddesses, angels, etc, are, are the BAD guys.

I don't blame them. It sort of makes logical sense...
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:59 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Nodz wrote:
kurichan69 wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:
Not all anime is satanic.

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

What are the satanic anime? I'd rather avoid them!

Legend of the Overfiend

That one is truly disturbing. When people who I know ask about it (typically having seen a reference on the internet) I ask if they have seen South Park. I tell them it is Back Door Sluts 9, the Hentai.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Since people haven't stopped talking about this yet, there are indeed some things the Bible makes clear are Satanic. Broadly, satan is opposed to God's plan for humanity which is centered on A. Saving people from the consequences of sin and bringing them into a loving relationship with Himself and B. Formation of a people aligned with God's purposes "True Israel" as an example for humanity (among other things). The latter includes a subset of those called Christian and Jews, so hatred or violence directed at either group is Satanic.

Sin interferes with people attaining a relationship with God and is spiritually deadly if not dealt with, so satan seeks to create and support philosophies and activities that prompt people to sin and interfere with the clear communication of the message that forgiveness of sin is possible through believing God's word (faith) regarding Jesus. Here a clear-cut delineation is difficult because people sin by nature and do not think in harmony with His thoughts without satan's interference, which is where Mr. Walsh gets his uncertainty I'm sure.

Thus, concepts such as that of reincarnation, "there is no sin", "faith in God is stupid", etc. are likely satanically inspired. However, that anime contains such does not make it Satanic any more than what is found these days in popular fiction, music and other media.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7