• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New D4DJ Unit Includes Lesbian Couple

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therjabundo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:51 am Reply with quote
Homophobia isn't necessary here. -LL
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:55 am Reply with quote
Something is wrong with that illustration though. The heads seem unnatural.
Silasa00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I liked D4DJ. Nice to see an idol(ish) show actually have confirmed sexualities and have healthy relationships rather than go the "wink-wink nudge" implications only or one-sided for the joke route that most go. It a breath of fresh air.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:35 pm Reply with quote
RIP Western Entertainment Industry,

Cause: Death by idol anime introducing a cute lesbian couple with no drama, badmouthing, and cringy preachiness from the showrunners and staff.

It's also giving what idol fans wanted for about a decade to decade and a half now. Maybe it's a sign of the good things to come in anime.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:41 pm Reply with quote
FANTASTIC

All of the yuri teasing that goes nowhere that's common to idol/idol-adjacent shows gets annoying. Seeing it fully embraced is a much needed step forward for the genre

If only Love Live could be more upfront about it these days. Mei and Shiki were a good opportunity but it's still just the same old tease that won't go anywhere significant.
ChrisKris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Yuri genre/themed isn't new.
So making a post about it like "it's something new"
is weird, that's all.

And yea, the new gen these days are all fked up..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this is remarkable only with the context that most mobile gacha games (ie Love Live, imas, Enstars, etc) constantly tease same sex couples but always keep it just out of the realm of possibility to not dissuade some players too much.
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, some of it is less about 'dissuading players' and more about the appeal of these kinds of games. Shipping is a big appeal of these games, that's why most of these games tease multiple couples for the same character, and fans make fanart/doujins for multiple different pairings for the same character. If you confirm couples, it reduces the variety in that kind of fanwork.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I approve of the presence of openly LGBT characters in an industry filled with subtext. So I consider this a positive move. In an year where even in Love Live! the possibility of dating between girls is mentioned (a misunderstanding, but still), I think this is a good sign of things to come.
Boonabadoopadoop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
RIP Western Entertainment Industry,

Cause: Death by idol anime introducing a cute lesbian couple with no drama, badmouthing, and cringy preachiness from the showrunners and staff.

It's also giving what idol fans wanted for about a decade to decade and a half now. Maybe it's a sign of the good things to come in anime.

It's worth pointing out the english Twitter account is the only one talking about national coming out day and LGBTQ+ stuff. The JP account is posting upskirt pictures of the high school characters which is about as on brand as you can get for D4DJ. You could say it's a bit of a marketing tactic from the EN twitter account to get some attention. Hopefully people know what kind of game they're getting into.
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Boonabadoopadoop wrote:

It's worth pointing out the english Twitter account is the only one talking about national coming out day and LGBTQ+ stuff. The JP account is posting upskirt pictures of the high school characters which is about as on brand as you can get for D4DJ. You could say it's a bit of a marketing tactic from the EN twitter account to get some attention. Hopefully people know what kind of game they're getting into.
So I went to the JP account....where are these upskirt pictures I was promised?
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Kinda makes me wish I still played this but just got sick of rhythm games all together. Honestly would just like to to go through the event/main stories and not have to do the gameplay part. Guess Ill have to wait till the anime to introduces them if it ever makes it that far but will be looking forward to it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:42 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:32 pm Reply with quote
That's cool! Especially that they were explicit about them dating compared to the usual just subtext.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:42 pm Reply with quote
SciasSlash wrote:
Well, some of it is less about 'dissuading players' and more about the appeal of these kinds of games. Shipping is a big appeal of these games, that's why most of these games tease multiple couples for the same character, and fans make fanart/doujins for multiple different pairings for the same character. If you confirm couples, it reduces the variety in that kind of fanwork.

This is true. Not to mention, a lot of the fanbase of idol-themed media (or any media in general) are self-shippers (yumejoshi). The way idol series particularly market their characters are akin to a real-life idol whose main selling points are attractiveness and availability. By giving them an established love interest outside of a self-insert character, it limits a lot of scenarios and possibilities for the player to imagine themselves in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2