• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney+ to Launch Tier With Ads on December 8, at Same Price as Current Ad-Free Plan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:13 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Ushio wrote:
"Maybe nobody’s *ever* going to make money in SVOD."

Maybe not for Peak TV but free services like Pluto seem to be generating a fair amount of money at little cost to the vendor.

Pluto TV isn't an SVOD (streaming video on demand) service. It's an AVOD service that uses channels rather than letting you pick which program to watch.

Whether it's making money is unknown Paramount who own it aren't saying they clump it into their 'Direct to Consumer' division along with Paramount+, BET+, Showtime OTT and what ever Noggin is. The division lost $445 million in the last quarter though.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:07 am Reply with quote
Kenfra wrote:
Lmao we're going back to cable aren't we?

Seems like it. At least from what my parents have said, cable was initially sold as this amazing service where there was no need for commercials because your subscription fee paid for it. Obviously, that didn't last long. The thing that I dread will come is that companies that have more than service will eventually decide that you need to have all them to get one, sort of like how having cable to watch Cartoon Network meant you had multiple Turner networks, whether you wanted them or not.

I'm sure there are lots of factors that vary from provider to provider, but like the article says, we're seeing multiple streaming services making changes revolving around ads. I think it's a signal that the companies realize that at some point they already hit peak subscriber numbers. Unfortunately, when the business strategy was built around unsustainable growth, it inevitably turns into trying to get more out of the customers they already have. I'm not even surprised that there is no cheaper-with-ads option since I'm sure Disney expected people would flock to that. Instead, it's the classic move of making people decide between paying more for what they already have, or receive a lesser service in exchange for the same rate.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:09 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
Ushio wrote:

Maybe not for Peak TV but free services like Pluto seem to be generating a fair amount of money at little cost to the vendor.

Pluto TV isn't an SVOD (streaming video on demand) service. It's an AVOD service that uses channels rather than letting you pick which program to watch.

Whether it's making money is unknown Paramount who own it aren't saying they clump it into their 'Direct to Consumer' division along with Paramount+, BET+, Showtime OTT and what ever Noggin is. The division lost $445 million in the last quarter though.

Noggin is a children's programming block created by Sesame Street and Nickelodeon - pre-K kids. So think of PBS Kids "competitor".
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:58 am Reply with quote
Man, it seems like all streaming services are trying to lose their subscribers by complicating things like this. Not to mention that, at least in my region, the content Disney+ offers is very limited, obviously their main franchises like Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar are available, but most of the 20th Century Fox content is located in a separate streaming service, Star+.
In Latin America, only the 28th and 28th seasons of The Simpsons are available on Disney+, the rest is on Star+. Not to mention that the Spanish dub for anime licensed by Disney+ like Black Rock Shooter Dawnfall is available in some Asian territories, but it's unavailable in Latin America, despite that the dub was made in Mexico.
Adv193

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:59 am Reply with quote
I do a yearly subscription and while this was not posted on the article, but I am still partly worried.
AngryMoM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:01 am Reply with quote
This is why we share passwords across services.
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:20 am Reply with quote
With all these price increases I think people will slowly go to a pay for a month and cancel binge model. That’s what i currently do with HIDIVE
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Scummy move.
Wish i could say it was shocking but it's not.
esm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:46 pm Reply with quote
When they first launched, Disney+ had a deal where you could pre-pay for three years of service for a reduced rate, presumably hoping to juice their initial signup numbers. I signed up for that: $140.97 (a little under $4/month), which started when the service launched in November 2019, and expires at the end of November 2022.

And the new pricing is rolling out in... December 2022 Very Happy

I have to assume this new pricing is taking into account those of us who've had the service for three years and aren't getting enough value to renew (like me), and since they'll be anticipating subscriber numbers taking a small hit, they'll juice revenue a bit to make the story they tell on the next earnings call sound better.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:46 pm Reply with quote
kuma991 wrote:
Let's see them make their generic shows when everyone goes back to pirating.

I mean pirating doesn’t exist without a company making something to pirate in the first place so……

AngryMoM wrote:
This is why we share passwords across services.

That’s also how you wind up on r/choosingbeggars.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Ushio wrote:

Yeah, Pluto is apparently profitable according to statements from Paramount and it’s margins are approaching those of traditional TV. Hulu is also profitable, but it’s in an odd position due to NBC pulling out and Disney needing to decide if it truly wants to keep two large streaming services in the US and buy out NBC in the next year and a half.

Peacock is pretty much a bust and already losing subscribers, and the bulk of it’s users get it as part of their Comcast cable package. I doubt pulling NBC’s programming from Hulu to Peacock is going to help them much.

Several of the smaller services will likely be bought out in the coming years. I think AMC is going to gobbled up by someone pretty soon. They would be a good fit with Paramount, and a consolidation of their streaming services would make a lot of sense. It would also likely avoid a lot of the scrutiny a larger buyer like Disney, WB Discovery, or even Amazon would get.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Peacock being the de facto WWE Network has probably stemmed the bleeding.

You're probably right about AMC, but I'm curious what happens to them considering they now own HiDive.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:41 pm Reply with quote
It might have been a promo price, but when it first launched I got it for $60 for the year, then it was $70, now $80 and soon to be $110 is just ridiculous. It's less about the cost than the frequency and percentage of these increases. I think my renewal will be up before the increase, but after that I think I'm dropping it. At this rate who knows how much it will be in another year or two?

Last edited by Covnam on Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Good thing it's my sister's account.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:16 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Peacock being the de facto WWE Network has probably stemmed the bleeding.

Between the fact the Network was almost never overly profitable if all during it’s original run. And some of the problems fans have had with the Peacock version some of which was brought over from the original version i.e. editing/censoring.

I’d be shocked if it were.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3