• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon' Light Novels Get Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:26 am Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
Odd to me they'd give this an anime when the LN ended 5 years ago after only 3 volumes due to it just not being popular. The WN was actually finished but not sure why you'd make an anime to advertise for that. I guess maybe the author will put out a 4th volume and try again?

I second this, I really have no idea what exactly made the anime happen. The wn is done, the ln is dead and I think there is a manga?
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:47 am Reply with quote
I have kind of been waiting for this, or expecting it. Now that isekai is everybody's crack, this weird story fits right in and yet stays firmly in satire where it wants to be.Looking forward to it.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:10 am Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
Odd to me they'd give this an anime when the LN ended 5 years ago after only 3 volumes due to it just not being popular. The WN was actually finished but not sure why you'd make an anime to advertise for that. I guess maybe the author will put out a 4th volume and try again?

Perhaps it's one of those rare cases where the novels only started gaining popularity long after the series was cancelled. Maybe we'll find out what the deal is later.

In any case, I'm interested in this series and look forward to giving the anime a try. I don't really do isekai light novels, but have heard this one was pretty good, despite the wacky premise.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:21 am Reply with quote
I...I have no idea how to react to this. Like what even kind of Isekai series is this!?

I guess if they've only released 3 novels, that makes it easier to adapt everything unless they dip into the Web Novels.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:59 am Reply with quote
This getting an adaptation is fine and all, but when are they going to adapt the one reincarnated as a virus? The manga for that is fun, but kind of slow to release, I bet the anime could overtake it in a handful of episodes, at least the scanlated chapters...

Last edited by Blanchimont on Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
HannoX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:00 am Reply with quote
Kindle has the first 8 chapters of the manga available now, as well as the 3 LNs.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:40 am Reply with quote
Of all stupid Isekai that has been made over past decades, this is first one since RE:Zero and Konosuba I look forward to. Ok, Is it ok to pick up chicks in dungeon isn’t too bad, but we can all agree not as stupid as Smartphone. That anime May me want to become drunk. At 79 years old, I never had want to drink till Smartphone.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:44 am Reply with quote
I was under the impression that this adaptation had been announced a couple of years ago.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:58 am Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I was under the impression that this adaptation had been announced a couple of years ago.

That's what I thought, too, but I guess that announcement was for the light novels or the manga adaptation.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:40 am Reply with quote
It was for the ongoing manga. I liked the light novels, and it is neat seeing it in manga form. Manga must be doing well if it got an anime.

From the Wikipedia article:
Quote:
Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon has received positive reception. Theron Martin of Anime News Network reviewed the first volume positively, praising its unique take on the isekai genre, Hirukuma's writing style, and the relationship between Boxxo and Lammis, which he found to be impressive and not having to "resort to hackneyed gimmicks". Summarising that "this novel's bizarre concept is what will catch people's attention, but the writing is good enough to keep it", some criticism was directed at the light novel's fanservice, which Martin found to be forced, and the RPG elements typical of isekai series.[1] Similarly, Robert Frazer of UK Anime Network found Reborn as a Vending Machine to be "a blast of fresh air to flush out the stale isekai genre", as "it’s fun and different to defeat the villain with Diet Coke and Mentos instead of just firing a Saiyan blast at a higher powerlevel".

Rebecca Silverman and Lynzee Loveridge, in Anime News Network's Spring 2018 Light Novel Guide, also praised the setting but found the writing to "read like fan-fiction-level quality". They ultimately found the volume to "still [be] an engaging read", and compared it to So I'm a Spider, So What? and That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime.[19] Loveridge further included the protagonist's "Death By Vending Machine" on her list of the "7 Strangest Isekai Deaths"

So that is pretty good reviews from ANN there. And now with the ongoing manga release, it is not surprising someone picked it up for an anime.

This was all made possible by Japan's vending machine industry, where you can get almost anything from a vending machine.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see this getting animated. I'll have to check it out based on the premise alone lol
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, that sure is... a premise. Yep, those are words that were written, for sure.

The question is, what kind of vending machine?

An anything machine. That's what makes him so valuable.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:23 pm Reply with quote
FiendHunter wrote:
Is that girl seriously carrying around a vending machine on her back...?

Great strength is one of her aspects.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:18 am Reply with quote
TBH, I would not be surprised if some of Japanese writers were on actual crack when making such warped story ideas.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:02 am Reply with quote
Actually, this will be the second "reincarnated-as-a-vending-machine" animation in existence, being preceded by the 2009 Coffee Samurai, from Korea.

Furthermore, I didn't realize prior to this announcement, but this comes from the same author as the suprisingly-well-written "The NPCs in this Village Sim Game Must Be Real! (Murazukuri Game no NPC ga Shōjin no Ningen toshika Omoenai), licensed by Seven Seas 18 months ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3