• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Market to Drop COVID-19 Vaccination & Test Rules, Keep Masking Rule

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alphonae

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:06 am Reply with quote
They either need to put up a vaccine mandate or proof of a negative test. Why drop both and enforce masks instead?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:15 am Reply with quote
Alphonae wrote:
They either need to put up a vaccine mandate or proof of a negative test. Why drop both and enforce masks instead?

I think you can't pay people enough to actually enforce a vaccine mandate and proof of negative tests. In my country, every single place that had a vaccine mandate or proof of negative test it was possible to walk right in, they barely look at it. This includes the non-covid section of the ICU in which I visited someone frequently during the fall of 2021, I was neither vaccinated nor immunized. They had put signs up that they require "Vaccinated/Immunized+negative tested" but no one ever asked for the negative test result or your vaccination proof after you went in one time, and even then if you just show them a .pdf that's faked, no one will take the time to confirm it by calling the test center in which you took your test and asking them.

It's just not effective. Masks however you can tell right away if someone's not wearing one or wearing it wrong.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:03 am Reply with quote
Alphonae wrote:

Honestly I think it's because way too many people are unvaccinated or at least not fully vaccinated, getting tested is mendokusai and is (probably) expensive, Comiket needs the money, and creators who usually do business at Comiket need said business. So.

It's Japan so people won't whine about masks. It sucks a bit for cosplayers who will have to keep outside for photoshoots and general strutting, but if the goal is to have a decent attendance number, I think it's a fair compromise. Whether it's sensible to shoot for a fair attendance number instead of being more health-cautious, I guess that's going to remain to be seen.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:22 pm Reply with quote
COVID misinformation removed, along with responses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
COVID misinformation removed, along with responses.

Thank you and every other mod for burning the midnight oil on this.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:20 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Alphonae wrote:

Honestly I think it's because way too many people are unvaccinated or at least not fully vaccinated, getting tested is mendokusai and is (probably) expensive, Comiket needs the money, and creators who usually do business at Comiket need said business. So.

It's Japan so people won't whine about masks. It sucks a bit for cosplayers who will have to keep outside for photoshoots and general strutting, but if the goal is to have a decent attendance number, I think it's a fair compromise. Whether it's sensible to shoot for a fair attendance number instead of being more health-cautious, I guess that's going to remain to be seen.

"way too many people are unvaccinated" -- the vast majority of the Japanese population is fully vaccinated and boosted by now.

"getting tested is mendokusai and is (probably) expensive" -- neither of these is true. There are thousands of free testing sites all around. It's extremely easy to get tested, and you often see lines at these sites from early in the morning.

Not saying whether this policy is smart, but neither of these reasons are supported by the actual situation in Japan.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The exception is while eating or drinking, and the staff states that talking will not be allowed during meals

That's hilarious - immediately brought to mind the prison cafeteria scene in White Heat (1949) - 'No talking among inmates.'
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:20 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Alphonae wrote:

Generally speaking photoshoots and strutting isnt really happening inside the center at Comiket, unlike American cons. So it isn't really that big a burden on cosplayers anyway.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:00 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
SHD wrote:
Alphonae wrote:

"way too many people are unvaccinated" -- the vast majority of the Japanese population is fully vaccinated and boosted by now.

"getting tested is mendokusai and is (probably) expensive" -- neither of these is true. There are thousands of free testing sites all around. It's extremely easy to get tested, and you often see lines at these sites from early in the morning.

Not saying whether this policy is smart, but neither of these reasons are supported by the actual situation in Japan.

Last time I looked the vaccination situation wasn't even close to "vast majority", but maybe that data was out of date. That aside - oh sure, it's extremely easy to get tested. Now go and queue for testing when Comiket is happening (or is about to happen) and you also need to handle all the other stuff needed for Comiket itself, your accommodation if traveling, and so on and so forth. And then the other queues...
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:35 am Reply with quote
The vaccination rate in Japan is about 80-85% - its much higher than the US. There was initial hesitancy, especially among the elderly, but the vaccine never became politicized and the government had a fairly confident rollout of it without much mixed messaging. As a result, its a pretty big vaccine success story.
kpossibles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Glad that are enforcing masks, but I also assume that they took away their vaccination or negative COVID-19 test policy due to the amount of extra staff that they would need for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1