• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action One Piece Series Reveals 6 Cast Members, Behind-the-Scenes Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Regalli wrote:
Yeah, no matter the budget they’re still trying to do a show in which the main protagonist has stretchy powers they need to get even halfway decent-looking (because if you screw up that, you have no fight scenes,) and in which a later major protagonist will be a child-sized anthropomorphic reindeer. Who has a super form for fight scenes. These are simply easier to pull off in animation than live-action with CGI, because you don’t HAVE to make Luffy’s powers look like they’d mesh with a human body. Chopper is not inherently more expensive in animation than any other potential character design who could fill a given crew shot. In live-action, this is not the case. (I barely expect them to get to Chopper, much less the later crew, but on the offchance they did Robin is at least a standard human most of the time - and you can bet she’d get even less to do because her power’s expensive and their fight scene budget’s already tapped with Luffy alone - and Franky is at least still achievable with practical effects. Brooke and Jinbei would also be pretty expensive but again, no chance they’re getting that far. Chopper will be absurdly expensive no matter how he’s done, because you’re either talking full-body suit/makeup or CGI character, and will be absurdly expensive even if the only thing he’s doing in a scene is sitting in a wide shot of the ship and crew.)

There’s a reason why, even with One Piece’s history and popularity, NO ONE has tried a live action show before now. There are well-received live-action adaptations of more fantasy-genre series in Japan, but few that go as far into the specifically cartoonish fantasy of One Piece.

it will never reach brook nor robin lol, they will be impossible to do live sction. I doubt it would even reach chopper.
this series will be cancelled after the first season.
chudmaru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Rai The Noblesse wrote:
Is this from the same team as Cobow B.?
.... eitherway, hope they can capture the One Piece show like the markers of Castlevavia did (even if one is animated the other live -action.

Castlevania wasn't anything like the games though. They butchered all the characters.
Artemis X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:54 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Artemis X wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:
You'd think from Cowboy Bebop they'd realize that there are just some things that don't belong in live-action, but no.

With these kinds of statements and attitudes is why many live action properties fail. You can't have a mindset like this to think that EVERYTHING, the whole broad spectrum of manga, comics and animation could never be put into live action. This is why its such a dying part of the industry is because fans clammer to these kinds of statements.

But wait, that doesn't make sense because fans aren't clamoring for live-action adaptations in the first place. Like, it's a "dying part of the industry" not solely because it's so frequently done poorly but also because it's not asked for or even on a general fan's mind when they are watching/reading an anime/manga.

You make it sound like live-action adaptations were at any point a highly-requested thing when I'd say it's the exact opposite.

Live action has existed for many decades in other coutries, its nothing new. Its just to the west adapting a foreign property such as japanese manga or korean manwha or any kind of asian property into a hollywood adaptation is some what new and experimental something that we have pushed in the last few years. But in order for us to embrace this new medium like Japan or Korea, or China, then we need the consumers and fans support. We can't have an attitude thinking that its all trash and its because of our heavy critizm is why most of this stuff ends up being cancled.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:58 pm Reply with quote
chudmaru wrote:
Rai The Noblesse wrote:
Is this from the same team as Cobow B.?
.... eitherway, hope they can capture the One Piece show like the markers of Castlevavia did (even if one is animated the other live -action.

Castlevania wasn't anything like the games though. They butchered all the characters.

It came up in another topic that Castlevania skirted by on its animation, not its admittedly poor writing.

I don’t see the effects here making up for any deficiencies in the script.
James_xeno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:03 am Reply with quote
olgita wrote:
After Netflix Cowboy Bebop I have no hope for this show. We're gonna see if they'll prove me wrong.

Seriously this.. even before that disaster! The worst part is CB at least theoretically had a CHANCE at being done right/good (in another era, by different people) based on the type of series it is. This was an utter failure before it ever began. I mean there is NO WAY you can not fudge up (either the look/effects or nature of) the MC's powers/abilities in something done in live action!

Also knew they couldn't get through with the casting without intentionally going off the rails. Rolling Eyes
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:03 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I'm not optimistic either tbh, considering the reactions to it right now.

But I'm sure I'll like it, as I loved Netflix Bebop too. Oh well.
I liked it too chibi. I'm def gonna give this a shot. Those set pieces are cool looking.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:01 am Reply with quote
Artemis X wrote:

Live action has existed for many decades in other coutries, its nothing new. Its just to the west adapting a foreign property such as japanese manga or korean manwha or any kind of asian property into a hollywood adaptation is some what new and experimental something that we have pushed in the last few years. But in order for us to embrace this new medium like Japan or Korea, or China, then we need the consumers and fans support. We can't have an attitude thinking that its all trash and its because of our heavy critizm is why most of this stuff ends up being cancled.

But why would we want more live action adaptations? If the show is already good as an anime, what will a live action adaptation do to improve it? Even with Disney's live action reboot of all their classics, the vast majority end up being terrible. What do we stand to win by supporting this fad of turning popular animation into live-action, as if the animated version needed an upscale of any kind? A lot of these stories worked because they were made as animation and forcing them into live action adds nothing of value, whilst a lot is lost in the process.
chudmaru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:29 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
But why would we want more live action adaptations? If the show is already good as an anime, what will a live action adaptation do to improve it? Even with Disney's live action reboot of all their classics, the vast majority end up being terrible. What do we stand to win by supporting this fad of turning popular animation into live-action, as if the animated version needed an upscale of any kind? A lot of these stories worked because they were made as animation and forcing them into live action adds nothing of value, whilst a lot is lost in the process.

Live-action is for adults and profesional critics. Cartoons and comics are for children... Laughing (Not my opinion but that seems to be the general consensus I see around mainstream media discussion. It feels like live-action is the desired endgoal for all books, comics, and video games and a sign that they made it to the big leagues. I actually see a number of creators in other fields admit they only make something to be a proof of concept/way to pitch an idea to a network or streaming service to work out a show or movie deal (coughmarkmillarcough)
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:11 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
But why would we want more live action adaptations? If the show is already good as an anime, what will a live action adaptation do to improve it?

Bring mainstream appeal. That's all. Even with today's nerd-heavy mainstream media, comics and cartoons are a niche pretty much everywhere in the world. In the west manga and anime are a niche within that niche, in say, Japan maybe that's not the case but anime and manga are niche compared to live action, be it TV or movies, and the majority of people who consume mainly live action generally don't read a lot of manga, let alone watch anime. That's why there's so many TV adaptations of manga (mainly shoujo romances, but there's a bunch of others as well), overwhelmingly manga that will never get an anime - hell, that's why stage adaptations are a thing, as well - and why those adaptations usually just use the manga as a conceptual springboard and just do their own thing re: characterization and even story, because they're not targeting fans of the manga but people who have never read the manga and likely never going to.

A lot of people are just simply not into cartoons, for one reason or another. Even a lot of people who watch cartoons are just not going to watch anime, for one reason or another. (I know so many people who are fans of say, Avatar or Steven Universe, but when they look for something similar to those they don't even think of looking at anime - and even if they are nudged in that direction they're just not interested.) Most people are just simply more interested in live action.

CrowLia wrote:
Even with Disney's live action reboot of all their classics, the vast majority end up being terrible.

Terrible or not, they make a ton of money, soooo... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Also, with Disney there's a huge nostalgia factor re: the classics, but one thing worth remembering is the fact that a very very large part of the world simply didn't grow up with Disney the way North Americans have. For example, the Disney brand is a lot less strong even in Western Europe; people like me who grew up in an Eastern Bloc country have even less connection to Disney.* It's a similar case in for example China, a huuuuge market, etc. So for these markets where people don't have such strong connections to the brand, people won't automatically compare the live action versions to the great memories they have of the old classics they may or may not have even seen.

CrowLia wrote:
What do we stand to win by supporting this fad of turning popular animation into live-action

We? Not much. The copyright holders and other corporations involved? Lots and lots of money, once one of the properties they keep throwing at the wall finally sticks...

*(The first proper Disney thing I remember seeing that wasn't just Mickey/Minnie/Donald artworks was Duck Tales in 1991. And if you ask someone of my generation of their strongest Disney memory, most people will tell you that it was December 12 1993, when Duck Tales was interrupted with news of the death of our first freely elected Prime Minister.)
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:13 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
A lot of people are just simply not into cartoons, for one reason or another. Even a lot of people who watch cartoons are just not going to watch anime, for one reason or another. (I know so many people who are fans of say, Avatar or Steven Universe, but when they look for something similar to those they don't even think of looking at anime - and even if they are nudged in that direction they're just not interested.) Most people are just simply more interested in live action

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm came out in 1993, one year after Batman Returns when Batman was still huge in pop culture. To call it a flop at the box office would be generous. And it wasn't Batman fatigue either as even the following year's Schumacher movie that people love to trash today did better than Burton's Batman Returns. It's just the idea of an animated Batman was so unappealing to people. And that was Batman the Animated Series. If that can't get people into an animated Batman then nothing will.

A lot of people got upset recently the Cartoon Network president said something like "girls graduate from animation to live action" but despite peoples protests they were not wrong. Shows like Amphibia and The Owl House do not hold a candle to shows like Riverdale and Euphoria There is a very big stigma against animation in the west that live-action never has to deal with, even if it's very cheesy and low quality live-action like the CW superhero shows like The Flash which currently has 168 episodes. Those are more appealing to people than cartoons are.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:05 am Reply with quote
You adapt a story into a different media for broadly the same reasons you adapt it into different languages: money and accessibility. I think it sucks that live-action is viewed as the end-all for a story but it's not unreasonable to want to see a story in live-action rather than animated. Just like many people prefer watching the anime adaptation to reading the manga/LN.

Still don't have faith in this adaptation, though. I can't help but feel this will be like Riverdale or the new version of fresh-prince of bel air; they'll double down on drama at the expense of humor
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:56 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

We? Not much. The copyright holders and other corporations involved? Lots and lots of money, once one of the properties they keep throwing at the wall finally sticks...

That's my point. I'm perfectly aware of why corporations keep greenlighting these live action adaptations, like you mentioned, Disney's horrid new wave somehow keeps making money, and Netflix wants to put that live-action stamp of "prestige" on their projects (everyone apparently knows animation can't be prestigious Rolling Eyes ) whilst tapping on that juicy established fanbase for these existing properties.

But the person I replied to says we shouldn't be so negative about these projects, we should be supportive of this live-action fad, we have to protect the "Hollywood live action adaptations of anime" industry and keep it alive. Hence my question. Why do we have to do all of that. Why should we want more of these adaptations when these corporations have proven time and again that they don't respect the material, nor do they understand its appeal. I'm challenging the notion that these adaptations are allegedly "necessary" and that we should support companies wanting to make more of them regardless of how badly they mess them up every single time.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Share the skepticism of most people on this, but will check it out anyway. Maybe they'll focus on the earliest bit of the story, manage to tell it super compellingly before everything goes absolutely bonkers, and win ratings so dramatic that J. Powell will offer to conduct open-market operations specifically in support of more Netflix One Piece content, so they can afford the CGI they'll need to do justice to anything more than a dozen episodes in.

Not optimistic that's the future, given the past, but happy to give it a shot if Netflix wants to throw resources at it, I guess Razz
163onmynec

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
I hope they cast someone I recognize at some point. Only cast member I knew beforehand was Mackenyu.

Casting looks fine overall but just need to see them in costume.

When you love the tv series, the casting members don't matter anymore if the show continues to be as good as before and the series doesn't end. For example, there is no use that the casting of the tv series Bordertown was extremely good if there are speculations about Bordertown Season 4 being canceled. I hope they will change their minds, but the main point is that most of the fans don't even care who is playing or who the other members are if the series continues and the series continues to have a nice storyline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4