• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Central 2022 Reverses Mask Policy, No Longer Requires COVID-19 Vaccination or Negative T

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vampiyan

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Flameshadowwolf wrote:
Things like this make me feel like I’m the crazy one. Almost no one around me wear masks anymore other than friends and family and even if you’re not scared of COVID there’s a crap ton of pollen in the air.
I don’t know, it feels weird to be this careless considering US medical costs

Most everywhere dropped the mask mandates back in March or February. Medical experts like the CDC have also said its safe to not wear masks anymore so I suppose people are just going off that. If this convention isn't breaking any mandates in their state or city then I'm not sure how much room there is for legitimate complaints since they're not doing anything wrong. All the businesses in my city dropped the mandate as well earlier in the year.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Just in time for a covid spike
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Anne F

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:10 pm Reply with quote
vampiyan wrote:
Flameshadowwolf wrote:
Things like this make me feel like I’m the crazy one. Almost no one around me wear masks anymore other than friends and family and even if you’re not scared of COVID there’s a crap ton of pollen in the air.

Most everywhere dropped the mask mandates back in March or February. Medical experts like the CDC have also said its safe to not wear masks anymore so I suppose people are just going off that. If this convention isn't breaking any mandates in their state or city then I'm not sure how much room there is for legitimate complaints since they're not doing anything wrong. All the businesses in my city dropped the mandate as well earlier in the year.

2 weeks ago they said they weren't changing their policy prior to the convention so people planned around that. Then they spring this upon everyone a few days before the con. That, to me, is the issue. They went back on their word.

I'm disappointed, but honestly not surprised. ACen has been going downhill for a while. I've attended the con since 2003, but since covid hit, I really don't have any plans to go back mainly because it's just not that interesting to me and their poor guest list year after year after year (I'm mostly interested in JP guests). I basically went just for the AA and tradition because I had been going for so long, now this gives me another reason to stay away.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:51 pm Reply with quote
monsieurb1982 wrote:
See stats for april for ontario without a mask mandate (population : 14,9 million) :
https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+cases+ontario

See stats for april for quebec with a mask mandate (population : 8,5 million) :
https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+cases+quebec

So maybe there are people who want mandates, but I still don't think that they should decide for other people, and even less when they ignore the numbers that said that masks mandates don't work as they think/wish.

Who's ignoring numbers? The data you provided shows that on May 13 (last date with data for both) Quebec had half the case rate that Ontario did (0.010% vs 0.020% of the population). Seems like mask mandates help. No one's ever claimed masks eliminate all transmission. But they would work even better to reduce the spread if people wore effective masks and wore them correctly, i.e., a bandana over just your mouth doesn't cut it.

At any rate, ianal, but it doesn't sound legal to me to pull this bait and switch unless they offer refunds, which they say they won't. Especially after they confirmed their policy wouldn't change. That's not just a bad look, it's wrong.
BasketBalljones

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:39 pm Reply with quote
It's not like the US is having around 90-100K new cases a day recently Rolling Eyes
ElenorCamuel

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:20 pm Reply with quote
monsieurb1982 wrote:

The first day the mandate were finished, all people I know saw no more than 10 percent of people wearing mask. Not 70. Not 50. Not 20. 10 or less.. So I think that most people are against mask mandate, and wearing them all the time. The people who wear mask are a minority and should be allowed to wear them. But they should not decide for the majority. It's how democracy and rights works, for the better or the worst, depending how we see things.

Fellow resident of Québec, and this was not my experience. I would say I experienced the inverse situation when I went out yesterday. I think this speaks to the fact that it’s fair to say that people plenty of people are still making their own risk assessments. It seems capricious then to wait to this close to the event to make a change when people can no longer really alter their plans without incurring some sort of financial loss. Definitely has me wary of purchasing tickets for Otakuthon.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Dynamo- wrote:
If you’re worried about it or have risk factors I’d just wear a mask and be vaccinated yourself. The vaccination of other attendees is another matter and has no real meaningful value to you personally.

Wearing a mask doesn’t just protect you. It protects others. The only safe way to hold a con during Covid (and we are not post-Covid yet) is with all attendees masked, vaxxed and boosted.

I’m staffing Anime Boston. Everybody there has to show proof of vaccination and stay masked during their time at the con. As staff, I have to stay masked even when out and about in the hotel, which may not otherwise require it. I can take it off if I venture into the mall for some Wagamama but that’s it. And they got the venue staff to wear masks too. It’s not that hard. (Though I’m not privy to any discussions between NEAS and Hynes and speak only for myself here.)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm in Illinois and caught it last week. It's spreading wildly here.
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Just to repeat, the problem with what Acen did is flipping a key policy a few days before the con, and provides no refund for people who no longer can "safely" attend. Even if it's
purely psychological for the sake of the argument, people go to anime cons to have fun, and if this makes having fun hard, that's literally the convention working against its purpose.

It doesn't matter at all if you agree or disagree with the policy. Nobody cares. But they can't be making this change on a Monday when the con begins Thursday, and have no recourse for folks affected. The people harmed are folks who can no longer attend Acen and probably can't get any compensation short of manually calling up their hotels and doing a credit card chargeback. Travel insurance won't cover this kind of thing. It's an incredibly scum move by Acen board/chair people.
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Dynamo- wrote:
If you’re worried about it or have risk factors I’d just wear a mask and be vaccinated yourself. The vaccination of other attendees is another matter and has no real meaningful value to you personally.

Wearing a mask doesn’t just protect you. It protects others. The only safe way to hold a con during Covid (and we are not post-Covid yet) is with all attendees masked, vaxxed and boosted.

I’m staffing Anime Boston. Everybody there has to show proof of vaccination and stay masked during their time at the con. As staff, I have to stay masked even when out and about in the hotel, which may not otherwise require it. I can take it off if I venture into the mall for some Wagamama but that’s it. And they got the venue staff to wear masks too. It’s not that hard. (Though I’m not privy to any discussions between NEAS and Hynes and speak only for myself here.)

I agree the masks don’t just protect you and actually in origin they were so the sick could wear them on not infect others; before Covid almost no one cared. I wasn’t implying otherwise. As for the rest you do you, going to Boston Red Sox games on that other hand has no requirements so it’s a subjective/personal stance.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:24 am Reply with quote
Anne F wrote:
I'm disappointed, but honestly not surprised. ACen has been going downhill for a while.

My same opinion about this convention too and I attend only for Japanese guests. Been attending for years pre-Covid. When the highlight of your con is more the local restaurants and less the actual con, that says things. And when the convention announced that the Japanese guests were going to be virtual only, I figured my attendance was best virtual only too.

It's really unfortunate that they're changing their stance this late in the game, particularly if you planned on attending and have compromised immunity. The convention not allowing attendees to obtain a refund or roll their fee over to 2023 leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.
FactualSteve

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:31 am Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Just to repeat, the problem with what Acen did is flipping a key policy a few days before the con, and provides no refund for people who no longer can "safely" attend. Even if it's
purely psychological for the sake of the argument, people go to anime cons to have fun, and if this makes having fun hard, that's literally the convention working against its purpose.

If those people are actually worried, maybe its a good wake up call.

An anime convention of 30k people rubbing shoulders to have "fun" with cool hobby stuff is not covid safe (masks or not). If you actually cared about daily cases the argument should be "shut the convention down" not "reduce the impact of the clearly harmful event"

Commit to taking it seriously, or stop ignoring the risk you signed up for.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:32 am Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:

It doesn't matter at all if you agree or disagree with the policy. Nobody cares. But they can't be making this change on a Monday when the con begins Thursday, and have no recourse for folks affected. The people harmed are folks who can no longer attend Acen and probably can't get any compensation short of manually calling up their hotels and doing a credit card chargeback. Travel insurance won't cover this kind of thing. It's an incredibly scum move by Acen board/chair people.

Hear Hear!! I'm really only 5% annoyed at the fact that they're not enforcing safety precautions and 95% pissed that they're doing this after

1 - Explicitly saying that they wouldn't do this
2 - AND PROMS TOMORROW (I mean, cons this weekend, but the point still stands)

There are a multitude of reasons why someone might still not feel safe going to an indoor event right now, and its frankly really shitty that the people who already had a hard time making decisions because of health factors now have that completely torn up in front of their faces.

On a side note - Oh man I'm really feeling it for the staffers right now. I've heard from a few people that they're not staffing anymore because of this, and staffing cons tend to already be short staffed. This whole situation is going to mean that low staffing levels become dangerously low staffing levels; leaving those who remain to probably be burning the candle at both ends to try to even pretend that things will go smoothly.
Sketchor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:40 am Reply with quote
Flameshadowwolf wrote:

I haven't had cold or a virus or even more than one bad allergy attack in 3 years because I've constantly been wearing a mask. I fully intend to keep wearing one whenever I feel like doing so. I used to get a nasty cold at least a couple times a year because I work with the public 5 days a week. I know that masks can't avoid a virus 100% but I'm pretty confident that I would have gotten COVID some time in the past 3 years if I didn't wear one as often as I did.

Now that it's not mandated, I do like being able to choose when to wear it but I'm frankly distressed by how few people choose to even occasionally wear a mask in public. There's no way I'm going to a convention any time soon. I almost always got sick from attending a convention. I rather wish that wearing a mask was considered normal behavior but even after a few years of mandates people still seem to think it's weird to wear one by choice.

I fully expected conventions to drop mask mandates eventually and since most business aren't even asking people to keep wearing masks at this point it's reasonable that conventions would follow suit but changing the policy days before the event and doing so after stating they would not change it, should not be tolerated. They made a promise and that promise was related to the health and safety of people going to the event. That should not be considered an okay thing to do.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:57 am Reply with quote
monsieurb1982 wrote:

It's not that I don't care. I care. It's just that in 100 years, I think the Covid will still be there. And if it's like the cold, it is possible than in the same year, you could catch a lot of different covid variants, alongside other viruses (cold, flu, etc.)

I agree, it will likely continue to exist alongside other common viruses for a long time.

monsieurb1982 wrote:
Saying your premier is idiot because he drop restriction is saying people agree for dropping restriction - like me - are idiots too. It's not because we don't agree we need to use insults. Sorry, but I don't want mandatory masks and other restrictions for the rest of the life of my kids... and thinking like that is not making me an idiot.

No, you make personal choices that affect far fewer people than the leader of a Province does. My Premier is an idiot and is dropping the ball on this thing. No one wants mandatory masks and restrictions. You do it because it helps others. People not understanding this stuff at this point blows my mind.

monsieurb1982 wrote:
That said, when we see the numbers, we see that people in bad health because of bad habits (not eating well, not making enough exercices) have more problems and dies more when they have the covid. There are people who have good health and still have problems, but the numbers don't lie. So what I do is trying to take care of my health, the health of my kids and say to people I know to take care of their health. On the long run, I believe that catching viruses while being in top shape will protect more people.

So yes, I care. I just have a different way to fight this problem. I just think that the virus is so contagious that everybody will eventually catch it. So I take this virus seriously. I also think that he will have a lot of mutations (like in the 2 last years), will become a lot of variants that avoid vaccination and natural immunity and therefore, we will likely catch it multiple times in our life. I think we can't avoid the virus, it's too late: he will be there forever and he will change forever. So yeah, I changed my strategy with that new information I believe, and changed how to fight it (with my health) instead of avoid it.

So....your way of fighting this problem is to just resign yourself to "everyone is going to get it anyway", and that it's on each individual to just "git gud" at being healthy and not die? Cool.

monsieurb1982 wrote:
So please, don't use "ìdiot" of "don't care" when you talk about people like me. I'm not an exercise guy and I love to eat a lot, so making all this effort is hard enough for me...

I didn't call you anything, but I will continue to call people on acting like this is over, yeah. Sorry not sorry.

Bottom line is that cons can do what they want, but this one in particular changing their policies the week of the convention is scumbag behavior.

Last edited by Gem-Bug on Tue May 17, 2022 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5