• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Mew Mew New Anime's 1st Full Video Unveils More Cast, July Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Out of curiosity, did TMM not have a complete/faithful adaption? I was under the impression it did (sequels aside) so it's interesting to me that this is getting a reboot.
Sans Tokyo Mew Mew a la mode and the newer one shot sequel, Re-Turn, the original anime did adapt all the manga but it was like the 90s Sailor Moon where it did diverge from the manga with anime only episodes. I'm assuming this is going to be a more literal adaptation of the manga. I do wonder if they're going to include a la mode and Re-Turn in the reboot.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:28 pm Reply with quote
It does look like a modern anime adaption of the franchise.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Out of curiosity, did TMM not have a complete/faithful adaption? I was under the impression it did (sequels aside) so it's interesting to me that this is getting a reboot.

It hits all the same story beats as the manga. Just with more filler to help characterize the girls who aren't Ichigo. I will say though that I revisited both the original anime and manga recently and was surprised the anime downplayed some of the environmental themes towards the end. It's still there just because it's part of the base premise, but it's not as in your face as the manga.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping this could maybe lead to someone license rescuing the original series?
blooperboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:02 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I'm hoping this could maybe lead to someone license rescuing the original series?

I would hope so, especially since its getting new covers. Kodansha currently holds the license, so they're the ones to tweet at.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:21 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Farafra wrote:
My gut feeling say Netflix will swoop in to grab it. But maybe I just feel that way because they nabbed Shaman King.

Not to mention the new Netflix dub of Shaman King brought back the now-legendary Andrew Rannells of Book of Mormon fame. It was kinda surprising given how prominent Rannells has become as an actor, but it was awesome to see him return to his anime dubbing roots.

What? No they didn't.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:31 pm Reply with quote
blooperboy wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:

I would hope so, especially since its getting new covers. Kodansha currently holds the license, so they're the ones to tweet at.

They're referring to the original anime, not the manga.

The last thing that came out of that anime was the Japanese SD Blu-ray set back in 2020.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I am very disappointed in this 'prejudice against huge eyes' that even MODERN shoujo is adopting. (Fruits Basket did the same thing here) Crying or Very sad I loved the early 2000s style...and Pretty Cure still uses this aesthetic quite well so what gives?

With the smaller eyes and bigger faces, the characters look way older than they are supposed to be. This kind of thing bothers me a lot; sucks the 'cuteness' right out of it.

I was under the impression, in Furuba's case, Natsuki Takaya specifically requested/okayed a modern update to the character designs.

In TMM's case, I don't see the updated designs as having significantly smaller eyes. I would also disagree with it "sucking the cuteness" out of the characters or the show but to each their own.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:
Not to mention the new Netflix dub of Shaman King brought back the now-legendary Andrew Rannells of Book of Mormon fame. It was kinda surprising given how prominent Rannells has become as an actor, but it was awesome to see him return to his anime dubbing roots.

What? No they didn't.

Well, that's at least from something I've read. I could've been misinformed. I need to watch the new Shaman King show to find out. If not, I hope he does a dub for a new anime someday. That would be huge. Heck, if he did a character voice for an English dub of the new Tokyo Mew Mew series, that would be huge as well.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:27 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
blooperboy wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:

They're referring to the original anime, not the manga.

The last thing that came out of that anime was the Japanese SD Blu-ray set back in 2020.

Ooph, good luck but don't hold your breath then. It was a 4Kids Entertainment license, defunct for just over 5 years now. The license has reverted back to the original holder (the studio in Japan), so it would be a new licensing at this point. Discotek would probably be its best bet at getting an independent licensing contract, especially since it's a different studio producing the new series, so it's unlikely that it could be bundled with the new series license.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:16 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Farafra wrote:
My gut feeling say Netflix will swoop in to grab it. But maybe I just feel that way because they nabbed Shaman King.

Hold up, there’s a NEW DUB?! Is it uncut?!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:47 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Hold up, there’s a NEW DUB?! Is it uncut?!
There is no new dub of the original Shaman King. There's a reboot on Netflix that brought back some of the 4Kids cast and recast others.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:49 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I am very disappointed in this 'prejudice against huge eyes' that even MODERN shoujo is adopting. (Fruits Basket did the same thing here) Crying or Very sad I loved the early 2000s style...and Pretty Cure still uses this aesthetic quite well so what gives?

With the smaller eyes and bigger faces, the characters look way older than they are supposed to be. This kind of thing bothers me a lot; sucks the 'cuteness' right out of it.

That's exactly what I found wrong with that remake! I didn't know how to put my disappointment into words but you summed it up for me. Razz

That's why, while I'd also like a remake of Chibi Vampire, I'm afraid they'd modernize it too much that I wouldn't recognize it any more...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:22 am Reply with quote
Thought all they have to activate nowadays is watch more cat videos on social media......
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
That's why, while I'd also like a remake of Chibi Vampire, I'm afraid they'd modernize it too much that I wouldn't recognize it any more...

To be honest, the manga's ending of Karin really really made me angry...I dunno if I want a remake for that reason as well....

But yeah, they might ruin the art for that too. :[
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3