• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:39 pm Reply with quote
^^^
This certainly seems to be the case. I know it's early, but it feels like the only solid quality shows we have this season are My Dress Up darling, Takagi San, and AOT. Maybe throw in Akebi Sailor Uniform for its technical quality and World's End Harem as a troll vote. That's about it.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:54 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
^^^
This certainly seems to be the case. I know it's early, but it feels like the only solid quality shows we have this season are My Dress Up darling, Takagi San, and AOT. Maybe throw in Akebi Sailor Uniform for its technical quality and World's End Harem as a troll vote. That's about it.

Hey, Slow Loop is no slouch either.
Also Delicious Party Pretty Cure has yet to air and being Pretty Cure I have no doubt it'll be amazing, so please, let's not overlook it or forget it exists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
09jcg wrote:
^^^

Hey, Slow Loop is no slouch either.
Also Delicious Party Pretty Cure has yet to air and being Pretty Cure I have no doubt it'll be amazing, so please, let's not overlook it or forget it exists.
I've never been into PreCure, but Slow Loop wasn't on my radar. I'll give it a shot
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Sono Bisque Doll

Finally my most anticipated anime of the season.
Been a fan of the manga, I was hopping that the anime was true to the manga.

Unlike the shonen rom-coms, this is aimed at a more mature seinen audience so the relationship looks more well thought. The balance between Marin and Gojou is perfect, There also some fanservice without been too much.

And for fans of cosplay, this is a very realistic depiction of the behind the scenes work. I have friends in the Japanese cosplay community and they feel Sono Bisque Doll does justice to all they have to do to bring the characters alive in the many cosplay events that happen in Japan.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Even 2020 seasons gave us better shows than this. Aside from SnK (which hasn't started yet) there's nothing that I'm really looking forward to and it makes me sad. All the other seasons I could say "Yay, it's Thursday/Friday/Saturday, we get a new episode of ____!" But this season? Nope. Sigh. Time to catch up with older shows, I guess.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Dress up seems fun but I always hated manic pixy girl fix loser guy life, especially after laid back camp sorta had that with Nadeshiko except it realize that not every loner is desperate to become super popular and outgoing. I'll keep at it but hopefully it won't verge go too far into the fixing his life aspect, also hoping it'll remain platonic but I'd be really surprised.
Spider3PO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:14 pm Reply with quote
So far...
Tokyo 24th Ward: The most entertaining anime for me this season. Even going for lunch was interesting. It's not perfect by any means, but it's fun for me. There was one part I didn't like. The fact that Shu knocks out his friends at the beginning, when there was no reason to (he literally could have ignored them and gone in). And it's never addressed by his friends. Despite this, it's not enough to make me avoid it. I'll be watching this one.

Orient: Is mediocre. I really wanted to like it. The premise sounded good. It's just the delivery wasn't. It also bugs me using a Scythe for a pick axe. All I kept thinking was that blade should have been chipped and dull. I also don't understand why the demons think it's a good idea to force/allow the Samurai to carry their weapons everywhere. Knowing the weapons can be used against them. It's like if another nation today conquered another and said "Oh, and as punishment for fighting against us you must carry guns on you at all times!" Yeah, that'll go over well. It just makes the writing feel lazy. If the Samurai kept their swords hidden in secret, that would make more sense.

Each season, I usually find 1-3 shows out of the lot to watch. So far not that many appeal to me this season. Well, maybe I'll find 2 more that interest me. There's still more shows to air.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Like others have said, I don't think there's anything I'm really excited for this season besides SnK so far. Confused
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Again, I wish more people were excited about the new Pretty Cure. It’s definitely my most anticipated show of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:59 pm Reply with quote
So is the implication in Akebi's Sailor Uniform supposed to be that the idol Komichi seems to revere is her mother? Or am I just reading too much into it?

Not surprised by initial reviewer reactions to that one, as I also felt there was a more fetishy/fan service-y aspect than I was expecting for that kind of series. I also agree with James that the fan service aspect is more unsettling here (and certainly feels more out of place) than it was in My Dress-Up Darling. I was bothered more by the character design aesthetic, but I do think it could shape up to be a sweet series if it doesn't dwell on the fetish aspect it has shown so far. If it comes down to following this one or DUD, though, I'll be following the latter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:24 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the manga of My Dress Up Darling, I'm glad to hear the anime is a good adaptation. As someone who sews and dabbles in cosplay, I'm really excited for this series and look forward to reading it for however long it runs. The reason I think the fanservice is mostly tolerable has to do with the mangaka being a woman, even if the title is a bit ecchi it isn't gross about it.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Not having access to Hidive I was curious about Saiyuki so naturally this was extremely disappointing to see from the only 2! reviewers of this season Confused

"Let's be clear here to start off: This is the fifth anime in this Saiyuki series and I've never seen a single episode before this one?"

"The only episode of Saiyuki I've ever seen was the one episode of BLAST that I covered for this very Preview Guide… when was it… five years ago"

I need reviews from people who actually know and understand the series ... to reddit! I guess
Spider3PO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the Anime Trailer Watch party. I think the anime I'm most excited about is Sabikui Bisco. That looks fantastic! I haven't read the source material, but I'm hoping it's fun and entertaining.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Big improvement over yesterday.

The Strongest Sage With the Weakest Crest: Reincarnation—all the benefits of adult memory without any of the isekai truck-kun silliness. I share Richard’s outlook on the show, and I like the mystery element of demons hiding in plain sight. Willing to see where this goes.

My Dress-Up Darling: I’m not really into cosplay, but I see why so many people were looking forward to this one. Lots of fun, great characters and beautifully rendered.

Boy, did I have different reactions from the reviewers on the remaining shows. I found Akebi's Sailor Uniform to be charming and sweet—and so lovely to look at (though I really wish Gojo-San from My Dress-Up Darling would refit that sailor uniform!). But Miss Kuroitsu is a hard pass, did not enjoy the humor at all.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Akebi's Sailor Uniform is definitely fetish material. Straight up. It's somehow creepier when they try to hide it behind a veneer of artistry (and it does look really nice). I'd rather the show just blatantly shake some boobs in my face. Or in this case, feet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 19