• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
World Trigger Seasons conflict with News articles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:09 am Reply with quote
The Encyclopedia listings are really confusing, but I'm honestly not sure how to even suggest reconciling this.

The page for Season 3 (aired starting 1/9/21) shows a whole set of reviews titled as Season 2 plus a Press Release citing it as Season 2, and an Alternate Title of "World Trigger 2nd Season." But it also has at least two News articles linked calling it Season 3, plus the Fall 2021 Preview Guide article for Season 3, but those are for what's currently airing starting from 10/9/21 (which is what the Encyclopedia is calling TV 4).

Then we have the page for Season 4, which has as an alternate title "World Trigger 3rd Season" and all articles linked call it Season 3.

And on the page for Season 2 is a link to the Winter 2021 Preview Guide listing it as Season 3, which is probably correct but doesn't belong on the Season 2 page no matter how I look at it, if Season 2 is what we're calling what aired starting 10/11/15. And there are several other News and Other Articles that reference the 2021 Jan series rather than the 2015-16 episodes.

I know there is often confusion around how to refer to split cours of a longer running series, and I don't know what the protocol is, but whatever it is, it would be a little less confusing if the articles and Encyclopedia pages used the same guidelines. Smile Specifically with World Trigger, there seems to be some disagreement over whether the 2nd cour which aired 25 episodes in 2015-16 is in fact a 2nd cour or a Season 2, since the debut cour aired 48 episodes in 2014-15. The rest of the jumble seems to be fallout from that gap. Personally, I'd agree that a gap like that would make it Season 2, as it's listed in the Encyclopedia. But it's not my call, and maybe this isn't even a problem to anyone else who understands how this is supposed to work. Smile
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:50 am Reply with quote
I'm of opinion that what is listed as "TV2" should've never been called this way, since the show never took abreak after what is listed as "TV1" to justify the split in two entries.

But I think it's too late now, since I can't even imagine the job that will have to be done to combine two entries and fix all cast and staff members. So I guess the only thing that can be done is make to sure that all links are working properly.

Last edited by KutovoiAnton on Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:59 am Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
So I guess the only thing that can be done is make to sure that all links are working properly. [it appears to me that they are - G.]

I was starting to think that as I was writing the post and kept finding new discrepancies and getting more confused myself. Smile But I figured I'd go ahead and post anyway, because they surprised me in untangling the MHA entries for 4 & 5, and I honestly am no judge of how much or how little work a job entails. They can't tackle a problem they're unaware of, but if people who know what they're doing decide it's unmanageable, that's fine too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:35 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The page for Season 3 (aired starting 1/9/21) shows a whole set of reviews titled as Season 2 plus a Press Release citing it as Season 2, and an Alternate Title of "World Trigger 2nd Season." But it also has at least two News articles linked calling it Season 3, plus the Fall 2021 Preview Guide article for Season 3, but those are for what's currently airing starting from 10/9/21 (which is what the Encyclopedia is calling TV 4).

Then we have the page for Season 4, which has as an alternate title "World Trigger 3rd Season" and all articles linked call it Season 3.

The 2nd & 3rd Season Alternate Tiles were my doing from a few weeks ago and I made sure to source everything so as to try and avoid that confusion. I don't know who was responsible for the (TV 2) page but I can only assume it had to do with how Toei was promoting the Fugitive Arc (49-63) at the time as filler and nobody knew they would go back to adapting more of the manga later on.

When Toei announced season 2 two years ago and then later promoted it as such (in websites, trailers, Blu-ray & DVD volumes, etc), it became a problem I think, even more-so now with season 3 which despite being split-cour, is promoted as somewhat separate from 2.

KutovoiAnton wrote:
I'm of opinion that what is listed as "TV2" should've never been called this way, since the show never took abreak after what is listed as "TV1" to justify the split in two entries.

Pretty much this!

The same thing happened with the Sailor Moon Crystal ONA which despite knowing it would be 26 episodes, got a separate page when Toei started promoting Black Moon as Arc 2. It was only when Season 3 was announced and promoted as such that the second page became justified in my opinion because of how ridiculous it was for Toei to officially call it "Season III" in the actual title since that wasn't what exactly happened with Black Moon.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Here's the previous forum that explains why the encyclopedia entries are the way that they are: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3010287&highlight=trigger
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:11 am Reply with quote
Thank you, that's helpful, insofar as confirming there's no good solution to this (or at least not one I could ever grasp), only a best solution. Poor World Trigger has had such a rocky history.

I still think that news and article links published 4+ years later that are about episodes airing in 2021 don't belong on a page covering episodes that aired in 2016 (TV 2). Are they there because there was no place to put them until (TV 3) got a page, and they'd get lost if people waited until there was?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1