• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Universal Century or Alternate Universe?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
hello everyone,this is something I need to get off my mind,something thats been on my head lately that i've been trying to debate,as an anime fan,when I first got introduced to the gundam franchise with Gundam wing (an alternate colony/alternate universe series), I fell in love with it back than,but than as I started watching more U.C gundam series's when I first saw the original Mobile suit gundam on toonami 2001, than seeing Gundam 0080,0083 stardust on Adult swim in 2002 (which they both introduced me to adult swim along with Yu Yu Hakusho and Inuyasha)

I decided I needed to get this out

for me,to be honest,I pretty much like the Universal century storylines better than the Alternate colony ones,now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed both Gundam wing and Mobile fighter G gundam alot (two of my favs that have a place in my heart),but however,the U.C series have far more realistic storylines than the alternate universal series's,I mean sure some of the U.C series's had some flaws like the black sheep Gundam seed destiny which was'nt quite as good as the original gundam seed,but however,most alternate colony series's use cheep gimicks trying to mix one genre with another which don't always create the best results (ok,maybe the Street Fighter type DBZ genre was pretty cool to mix in with G-Gundam),but some of the other A.C series's took it a bit too far.

ok,heres my two cents on my thoughts on U.C, for example, 0080 Gundam showed us from a kid's point of view how terrible war can be and how fighting is'nt always a game to watch,yeah,I know it was quite different from most gundam series,but it was quite realistic, and 0083 stardust explored more on a soap opera point of view with far less action than most gundam series's,now don't get me wrong,I loved G-Gundam's unique action scenes,but the storyline was whacked most of the time,I mean,how is it possiable for an evil Gundam to be buried beneath the earth that spreads out weird diseases to turn people evil?

so,what universe gundam series do you like better?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote
Well, different strokes for different folks.

I personally prefer the Universal Century, because it tends to be more centered on continuing elements and characters, and feels more mature and realistic than the alternative timelines in the Gundam franchise. Even though there are alternate universe programs - such as Gundam X or Turn A Gundam - that have strong UC influences, beyond just the cosmetic, the Universal Century, at its strongest, excels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:32 am Reply with quote
I would probably say 08th MS team is my favorite Gundam series. It took a much more realistic look at the franchise. It was smaller scale. Instead of huge conflicts affecting the entire world, it was just one small battle amidst the entire war. If felt more like a military drama instead of a big mecha melodrama. Not only did that work very well, it was a refreshing change. It still held onto much of what made other gundam series good though.

0083 I also really liked. It was all around very very good. I have absolutely no complaints. Interesting characters, interesting story, cool battles, all that. Just an all around great series. I still think I prefer 08th MS team, but this get my vote for best more traditional Gundam.

On the other hand though, I didn't like the rest of UC. I don't know if thats entirely fair because it was the outdatedness of the original that made me dislike it and War in the Pocket might not have been bad but more just not for me. Zeta however I just didn't like. I find the characters are lacking in energy. They're just going about continuing the plot without really being all that reactive to anything thats happening. Kamile is sometimes the exception sometimes but not in a good way. he's way to angsty, and mostly over stupid little stuff. I also find the political situation of the world vague and undefined. It just kind of follows along with what the good guys and a single group of enemies are doing as the pursue each other. It isolates them and makes them out to be the only military forces that seem to exist in the area. Also, whats up with all the people randomly slapping each other? Its like a freaking soap opera, except like I was talking about before, they all seem to do this very casually and without energy or much emotion. It just ends up coming off as a weak attempt to make things seem more dramatic when the truth is they just aren't.

As for the alternate time lines, it is also mixed but to leans more towards dislike. I really liked SEED. I can see where there are some issues like reused animation, recap episodes, identical character designs, but I think because I got quite into it I really wasn't bothered by these issues.

Destiny however was just a huge mess as was Wing. G was just so cheesy. I've seen a bit of both X and Turn A and they both seemed like they had promise though.

So from what I've seen it seems like the best series are from UC and the ones I didn't like was more because they were outdated or not for me but still good series. With the alternate time line ones, though there is an exception to the rule they aren't very good.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
If I could be described as anything, it would be a UC fanboy, simply because the bulk of the Gundam stories I most enjoyed were all UC storylines. Like penguintruth said, the actual story calendar plays little into my perception of what I enjoyed. I like to judge a series based on its animation and story merits rather than go off the deep-end and equate that !UC == sucks.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Both are excellent and highly entertaining. I neither have a preference on the subject nor feel the need to discriminate between the two. Gundam is well...Gundam, it's all good. I've seen most of the franchise minus Victory Gundam and Turn A Gundam and currently am making my way through Gundam 00 and ZZ Gundam.

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
greedo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Right now, I'd have to say that I'm definitely a UC Guy. I've loved most anything that came out of UC. 0079, 0083, 08th MS. I also really like Gundam Wing and Turn A Gundam, but most of the stuff I've like has come from UC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1