• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Former MAPPA Animator Describes Working Conditions as Like a 'Factory'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:51 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised about the working conditions.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:16 am Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if more studios are like this. Although MAPPA's multiple projects have always worried me, and so this is much a confirmation.

I'd love to hear if there's any news on animators praising the work conditions in the studio they're working in. I have read interviews on a good working ethics by producers, but not really the animators.

i think kyoto animation used to have that. and only them.

as said by other posts this is not even an animation company only problem, but a general japanese companies problem. what makes anime worse is that the pay is lower than average while the hours are higher, so it compounds pretty bad. there is long hours but good pay ( think amazon ) and low hours bad pay ( think a mom and pop store ) where things are bad, but balance out.
Gomiyaro

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
yup just another proof that those studios are sweat shops, that couldn't care less about their employees. those animators deserve better than this.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:20 am Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
TMS and their subsidiaries are working on 9 anime this season:
1. Nagatoro (Telecom Animation Films)
2. Fruits Basket (TMS)
3. Burning Kabbadi (TMS)
4. Megalobox 2 (TMS)
5. Detective Konan (TMS)
6. Bakugan (TMS)
7. The World Ends With You (Shin Ei Animation)
8. Those Snow White Notes (Shin Ei Animation)
9. Doraemon (Shin Ei Animation)

Shin Ei isn't a subsidiary of TMS, they just happen to co-produce things often. Shin Ei is owned by TV Asahi.
If you want to you can throw Anpanman into that list too but I don't see the point seeing as how TMS has so many subsidiaries that makes producing this many shows not an issue
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
Also something to keep in mind, a lot of cases this and last season where studios have multiple shows airing at once is due to airing/production delays from COVID. While that doesn't mean the shows and their animators aren't still being crunched to get made, it at least means this sort of constant/redundant output isn't the norm for them.

MAPPA, on the other hand, has had 1 or more shows airing every single season since Summer of 2018:

Summer 18: Banana Fish cour 1
Fall 18: Zombie Land Saga, Banana Fish Cour 2
Winter 19: Dororo cour 1, Kakegurui XX
Spring 19: Sarazanmai, Dororo Cour 2
Summer 19: To The Abandoned Sacred Beats
Fall 19: Granblue Fantasy season 2
Winter 20: Uchitama, Dorohedoro
Spring 20: Listeners
Summer 20: God of High School, Mr. Love: Queen's Choice
Fall 20: Jujutsu Kaisen, The Gymnastics Samurai
Winter 21: Attack on Titan Final Season,
Spring 21: Zombie Land Saga REVENGE
Summer 21: Re-Main, Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi

That's 20 seasons of anime in just 3 years, and they remain a relatively smaller studio compared to studios like BONES that have multiple sub-studios that can tackle multiple or back-to-back projects without overburdening their teams. So yeah, turning into a "factory" sounds about right with that kind of schedule.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
This “quantity over quality” approach that many anime studios have taken recently is a horrible trend and I hope that at least a few of them at least dial back the amount of anime they produce a year a little bit (think one or two fewer series). Not only do some of the anime produced under this approach tend to have varying degrees of production and general quality issues, but the studio employees suffer as well. And we can all agree that the employees are affected by this approach the most.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
This “quantity over quality” approach that many anime studios have taken recently is a horrible trend and I hope that at least a few of them at least dial back the amount of anime they produce a year a little bit (think one or two fewer series). Not only do some of the anime produced under this approach tend to have varying degrees of production and general quality issues, but the studio employees suffer as well. And we can all agree that the employees are affected by this approach the most.

The truth is that these studios are paid for each production by others companies or committees, but usually don't get anything more even if an anime is successful, which means they have to produce many series only to survive. In other words the whole anime industry (or al least a huge portion of It) sucks, and until someone decides to change the system or the system implodes, nothing will ever happen.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I guess I can understand where they're from coming but I also disagree with it slightly.

You're working freelance. You ARE going to get the work nobody wants to do.
I've done freelancing for several years with book editing and I always get the really bad jobs precisely because I'm a freelancer.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:04 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
I guess I can understand where they're from coming but I also disagree with it slightly.

You're working freelance. You ARE going to get the work nobody wants to do.
I've done freelancing for several years with book editing and I always get the really bad jobs precisely because I'm a freelancer.

Don't think that only freelancer get the worst jobs (and sometimes the worst pay), normal employees can have it tough too. The truth is many of the things this guy complains about could be avoided, with better planning, funding and overall Better laws on overtime working. It's not Easy, but It could (and should) be done.
Sheenoobuu

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I know it's not typical for Japanese animators but having new animators start by fixing small issues sounds like a very good way to run a company. Otherwise you're throwing them into a highly stressful situation they won't be used to dealing with. Working on many small fixes sounds less stressful than being in charge of very noticable parts of the production.
But I'm sure I'm somehow misunderstanding the full scope of this situation
Slashman

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
Don't think that only freelancer get the worst jobs (and sometimes the worst pay), normal employees can have it tough too. The truth is many of the things this guy complains about could be avoided, with better planning, funding and overall Better laws on overtime working. It's not Easy, but It could (and should) be done.

I think that to get those things, you would need some serious culture change in Japan in general. A lot of their business practices just don't make sense and are there because that's how it was before. You are expected to contribute to the machine and be quiet about it.

I mean it is similar to the restaurant situation in the US right now...restaurants are having a hard time re-attracting the folks who used to work for them because they are looking for better jobs and don't want to return to the shitty conditions that they used to deal with. The difference is that some restaurants are rethinking their payment and benefits to get them back...but in Japan...not much is changing as long as old men are at the helm and young people are desperate to get jobs in animation.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:21 pm Reply with quote
THIS is why I don't watch anime anymore!

No amount of weekly entertainment fix from Japan is worth the animators being treated like slaves in a sweat shop. What I can't understand is why do the fans know this and yet continue to watch anime knowing FULL well that these industry abuses exist?
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
Meowtain Duwu wrote:

The truth is that these studios are paid for each production by others companies or committees, but usually don't get anything more even if an anime is successful, which means they have to produce many series only to survive. In other words the whole anime industry (or al least a huge portion of It) sucks, and until someone decides to change the system or the system implodes, nothing will ever happen.

I would say this is truer of other animation companies than Mappa, considering how many original anime Mappa has under their belt (the currently airing Zombieland Saga REVENGE being one of them), which they get all the proceeds to. And their originals do decently well, from what it looks like! So this isn't a Manglobe situation where poor sales in later originals tanked their whole operation.

But, man, speaking of which, just compare the list of works Mappa has under their belt versus the aforementioned Manglobe (or heck, any other animation company, e.g. Madhouse, A-1 Pictures, etc.). It's very clear how absolutely overextended Mappa is as an animation studio.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:28 am Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
Giovanni Jiménez wrote:
Fans romanticizing labor exploitation do not help at all. I still remember the ridiculous hashtag #ThankYouMappa

"Fans" usually care only about one thing, the final product (and themselves of course). You can't expect they sympathise with exploited workers..

Which makes it worse when they proudly proclaim pirating a product. Those people make me sick to my stomach.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:13 am Reply with quote
Honestly why can't they take a more slow & steady approach when it comes to production say like Kyoto Animation and I think Wit Studio is also doing something similar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3