• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Manga Enters 'Final Act' With Chapter 306 This Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuzu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:15 pm Reply with quote
One Piece and HxH are quite honestly the exceptions to the rule when it comes to expansive world building. And even then, we all see how that turned out for HxH, it barely has any progress over its 20 something run.

And Eichiro Oda has to take mandatory breaks because writing One Piece has quite literally become hazardous to his health.

Unless Horikoshi wants it, I can't see him overworking himself like that.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this will actually be the end of the franchise or it'll be Deku graduates so technically it's not his "academia" anymore and it's like My Hero Life or something?
2-2Distracted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Shocked

I'm a happy Manga reader and to be honest, after reading the latest chapter a couple of times, I am still not ready for where this series is going next. I was genuinely shocked when the chapter concluded with this news and its definitely tugging at my heartstrings for some reason.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't think any publisher would ever let a series like MHA end at the peak of its popularity. The series could easily continue with spinoffs unless Horikoshi sternly rejects any continuation of the franchise.
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:14 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I don't think any publisher would ever let a series like MHA end at the peak of its popularity. The series could easily continue with spinoffs unless Horikoshi sternly rejects any continuation of the franchise.

The same thing could be said about Demon Slayer. The manga ended around the same time that the anime made it one of the most popular selling manga in history. Not even MHA has reached Demon Slayer’s sales record.

Granted, MHA will probably end years after the hype has died down to more tolerable popularity levels (like Attack on Titan.) But still, mangakas like Gotouge and Horikoshi seem to be the type to be adamant of wanting their series to have a proper end, regardless of popularity.

Actually, can someone who knows more about the industry tell me if editors or publishers actually have a say in whether or not a manga should keep going, even if the creator doesn’t want to? I’ve heard rumors about that happening to Tite Kubo and Bleach, but no sources.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:28 am Reply with quote
I'd personally hope it's a final act/set of arcs heading towards the end rather than just one last arc since I feel there are still plenty of threads left to wrap up, plus, I'm really fascinated at the prospect of spoiler[Deku becoming this dropout vigilante, though, given his connections to all might I'm positive he at least has *some* backing and may wind up in a similar situation to what was Alluded to with Hawks. Regardless this development has ALOT of possibilities and it's exciting to me.]

As a lot of people have said One Piece is definitely not the norm by any stretch, and while MHA may have potential avenues for spin offs and the like, I'm fairly certain Deku's story will end here as nothing about how Horikoshi has talked about the series has lead me to believe he's focusing on anything else of the "franchise" other than the manga he's currently drawing.

It'll be interesting to see what he does after MHA but for now I'm eager to see what he has planned for the closing act.
Matches Malone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Raven.In.Pink"]
Gasero wrote:
Can someone who knows more about the industry tell me if editors or publishers actually have a say in whether or not a manga should keep going, even if the creator doesn’t want to? I’ve heard rumors about that happening to Tite Kubo and Bleach, but no sources.

Jump will cancel a series if it's not doing well in popularity polls or isn't selling well, both of which apply to Bleach and Samurai 8. On the other hand, Jump does encourage authors of successful series to keep them going for as long as they can, but they don't outright force anyone to do so. If a series that's failing in the polls and sales ends, it likely got cancelled by the higher ups. If a successful series ends, it's because the author wants it to end.

I don't have sources for any of this, it's just based on what I've read over the years.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote
[quote="Matches Malone"]
Raven.In.Pink wrote:
Gasero wrote:
Can someone who knows more about the industry tell me if editors or publishers actually have a say in whether or not a manga should keep going, even if the creator doesn’t want to? I’ve heard rumors about that happening to Tite Kubo and Bleach, but no sources.

Jump will cancel a series if it's not doing well in popularity polls or isn't selling well, both of which apply to Bleach and Samurai 8. On the other hand, Jump does encourage authors of successful series to keep them going for as long as they can, but they don't outright force anyone to do so. If a series that's failing in the polls and sales ends, it likely got cancelled by the higher ups. If a successful series ends, it's because the author wants it to end.

I don't have sources for any of this, it's just based on what I've read over the years.

It's basically like this, what is missing is the "grim" part. The "encouragement" to continue sometimes goes more like "pressure". All manga is a different case, but some mangakas are pressured to continue writing... that's how some manga have out of the blue atrocious endings or the mangakas actually pull out good stories but get "burn out" and never write a series again like Toryama with DBZ
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3