• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino-.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
When did Angelica die in Season 1?

At the end of finale, she was spoiler[lying on her sick bed, while the other four were sining Ode to Joy. Then Marco, sitting next to Angelica's bed, found something wasn't right.] And the show ended there. Therefore there was no clear indication whether she was dead or not. The director gave audiences a strong hint that Angelica didn't make it, yet in this way she can still appear as recovered in the sequel without destroying the timeline.

Veoryn87 wrote:
spoiler[She died in the first season. She shot her "brother" and then shot herself in the eye when she realized that he doesn't care about her the way she cares about him.]

That was spoiler[Elsa], not spoiler[Angelica].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
When did Angelica die in Season 1?

At the end of finale, she was spoiler[lying on her sick bed, while the other four were sining Ode to Joy. Then Marco, sitting next to Angelica's bed, found something wasn't right.] And the show ended there. Therefore there was no clear indication whether she was dead or not. The director gave audiences a strong hint that Angelica didn't make it, yet in this way she can still appear as recovered in the sequel without destroying the timeline.

Veoryn87 wrote:
spoiler[She died in the first season. She shot her "brother" and then shot herself in the eye when she realized that he doesn't care about her the way she cares about him.]

That was spoiler[Elsa], not spoiler[Angelica].

Such a great memory I have. I guess I mixed up those two girls.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
It's never directly stated that spoiler[Angelica dies,] just heavily implied. So yes, it was left open enough that the new season can do what it is doing, but it does take away from the emotional power of those last moments.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
It's never directly stated that spoiler[Angelica dies,] just heavily implied. So yes, it was left open enough that the new season can do what it is doing, but it does take away from the emotional power of those last moments.

Which is one of the reasons I was slightly apprehensive about a second season. the first series took events pretty much direct from the manga but re-arranged the order to give it a more complete whole short series. (My general feeling at the end was that it was not open ended waiting for a second but a solid, ends wrapped up finish)

The order of events in the manga is different to the 1st season of anime and as such gives a very different mood. The anime season felt like a complete story told while the manga was clearly meant to continue.

The further drop in quality of this anime season is another reason to be less than overjoyed at this second season...further it seems unlikely that they can give Petrushka a proper treatment in this anime season (so I hope they leave her out) as she is by far the most interesting character in the recent parts of the manga, Triela though is pretty cool with how she delas with the whole Pinnocchio side of things.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

To me, one of the strongest points of the first season was that while it could have taken an exploitative tone and played up the violence and the fact that cute little girls were being used to perpetrate that violence, it instead focused on the implications and moral ambiguity of using children for such questionable purposes. The point of the series was not the missions the teams were sent out to perform, but rather the relationships between assassin and handler, the relationships between the different teams, and the effects of these relationships on the various characters.

The spoiler[strongly implied death of Angelica] in the final episode was, I thought, a key element in driving home the story the whole first season set out to tell and also an essential part of the emotional impact of the series, giving it one of the best endings of any anime series I have yet seen especially when the events of this scene are contrasted against the other girls taking a moment to find joy in their lives, emphasizing that they are not just robotic assassins or tools to be used by their handlers. That coupled with the final scene between Jose and Henrietta after the credits roll make a very powerful impact on the viewer. The combination of events in that last episode were the culmination of everything leading up to that point, and masterfully demonstrated the harsh and inevitable future waiting for all the girls as a result of the physical modifications made to them to extend their lives, but also to allow them to serve the purposes of the Social Welfare Agency.

One of my biggest concerns about the second season was whether or not it would hold true to the spirit of the first season. I have not seen any of the second season yet, and will not unless it gets licensed and released in R1, but from the comments here it sounds like it is straying from what I would consider some of the biggest strengths of the first season in favor of following the manga storyline more faithfully. I'm not asserting that this is a bad thing, but it is not what I personally wanted to see happen.

I'll still reserve judgment until I actually have a chance to see some of the second season myself, but based on the reactions of everyone here that is following it via fansubs I am not hopeful of it turning out to be a series I am going to be happy with. I think enjoyment of this second season is going to depend a lot on the expectations of the person watching it. For people who wanted to see a faithful adaption of the manga it sounds like they are doing a reasonable job. For people like me that don't necessarily require our anime to maintain complete consistency with the source material but rather view them as stand alone works I wonder how much enjoyment this second season is going to contain.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, I threw in the towel. If I can't enjoy something after five episodes, then it's doubtful that eight more will change my mind. I'll just be happy with the manga and keep an eye out on what people have to say about the remainder of the season to determine if I decide to give the whole thing another go someday.
8JF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Deja vu?
spoiler[Patricia looks like Nina/Anna from Monster and even has the same voice actress!]
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

I highly doubt she's dead. I mean as of vol 5 in the manga (which is certainly where material from season 2 would be) spoiler[she's alive and well. There's even spots in vol 4 and 5 where if they did the scenes without her they wouldn't make much sense. Since the tv series stuck so closely to the manga I doubt she's dead considering in the manga she's still alive.] I do wonder if we'll get to see Petrushka though in the second season.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:52 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I highly doubt she's dead.

spoiler[We know that she isn't dead.] That's the problem because it changes the ending of the first season, where it was spoiler[heavily implied that she died, despite the fact that she clearly doesn't in the manga.]

Edit after watching ep 5

I think this episode did a lot to undo the issues surrounding the spoiler[non-death] because Angelica's story really is heartbreaking. spoiler[It's so sad to see how much she has changed and how all the adults who really loved her are changing too.]

Triela continues to be just awesome. I'm so glad to see more focus on her, rather than Henrietta who was always cute but fairly generic (the same goes for Rico).
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Finally there is a sub out for episode 6!

I think that overall I like the story more in this season than in the first. It feels like there is more of a continuous plot than before, when it was almost slice-of-life at times.

I also like that the cast of characters is slowly expanding to include both sides: the Social Welfare Agency and the terrorists they are fighting. It's nice to see things painted in shades of grey, rather than black and white.

I also for the first time am really liking the Jose/Giuseppe character. He's become quite interesting and I can't wait to find a bit more about his background and what spoiler[happened to his sister that made him hate so much].

Also, I think I said it before but I have a much easier time following things in the anime than in the manga. I think this medium is just better suited for telling the story and it definitely has a better pace to it (I can't believe how many episodes we've gotten from only five volumes of manga).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
Indeed it is and it's about ******* time too. Mad

Anyhow the episode was not worth the extraordinarily long wait being a fairly forgetable point in the manga but what comes in the next few episodes will be great stuff. Not to say that it wasn't entertaining though.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Indeed it is and it's about ******* time too.

So true. I so wish a different group was doing it, because I have to say that I don't think much of the one that is (their sub quality is good, it's just their whole attitude that really puts me off).

I agree, it's not the greatest episode of the series, I think we really need Triela around to get one of those. She's been awesome this season (and the first season too, though she didn't get as much focus then). Though as I said before, Angelica has a really interesting storyline going on too. And Claes is always fun too, though usually sadly overlooked.

So basically, any episode not featuring Henrietta or Rico, since they are the least interesting of the group.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree I don't like Triad's attitude either, I get the impression they're a bunch of a**holes from their website. (I think Tony mentioned we can mention subbers now if not I can do some editing.) Unfortunately they're the only group I know of that's still subbing this show at all, so it's not like there's a choice. Mad
Neofit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
This series is a great disappointment. I stopped watching after the first episode. What put me off is the way they destroyed the feel and characters the first series built.
Gunslinger Girl should have been left alone rather than resurrected in such manner.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
That's rather harsh. Yes, the production isn't as good as it was before, but it doesn't destroy the characters. If anything, I think it makes them better because it further develops them and in the same way that the manga does. And because it is following the manga storyline, I don't think that it's resurrecting the show, just continuing it where the first season left off (as well as undoing the major change that we've talked about till we're blue in this thread).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9