• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Was the Haruhi Suzumiya Series a Big Deal?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Key wrote:
However, one aspect that I don't think has gotten enough attention in this thread is that it was the first true "meta" series to hit big. Unless I'm forgetting something obvious, series before it weren't as self-aware of what they were as Melancholy was. That kind of thing has been so commonplace these days (especially in isekai series) that it can be hard to appreciate how fresh that was at the time.

Yes, I came here because I was disappointed that the article didn't touch much on this (apart from saying it contributed to the LN boom). Haruhi had that infectiously optimistic anime girl lead paired with an unreliable narrator making snarky comments about all the anime tropes. Lots of people talk about loving Re:Zero, or Oregairu for the snarky, meta-commenting narrators, but Haruhi did it first.

Don't forget Megane in Urusei Yatsura as meta-commentator and uber-otaku, and that franchise is more than 20 years older than Haruhi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:28 pm Reply with quote
OncelostLu wrote:

I watched it a few years ago. I'd say the hype is overblown and it's much more of a "you had to be there" type thing. If you watched it while it was airing, it likely held more weight/had more impact.

TLDR for this wall of text: Haruhi captured a unique look and timing sans greater substance with such unexpected success that much like being the Fortnite of anime, many series long after it continue to try and capture the lightning of its look and success to this day.

It was very much the sort of hyper-energetic show the mainstream (high school?) American anime con scene at the time was starving for. Was primetime for anime torrenting and Haruhi in particular was more likely to come included in a torrent batch than something like Simoun. I don't recall too many other shows taking focus from it when it started broadcasting - Ouran and Nana were lower energy/slower burns, Higurashi was an entirely different genre, and stuff like xxxHolic and .hack//ROOTS were really niche & serving either the goth or the gaming crowd.

The closest comparison to Haruhi at a glance was possibly School Rumble, but I think it was on season 2 at that point, and it was VERY not-grounded in reality. School Rumble borders on absurd quite often, and Haruhi being a fresh show for new viewers with the added benefit of being a bit more grounded (thanks to all of the points of technical/animation proficiency spoken of in the article) made it one of the most eye-catching shows of the season.

The augmented reality game/Scifi/mystery aspect of it really kicked in too, particularly because the episodes were airing out of order. It was clear something was afoot and there was something more behind the scenes (not unlike a found-footage film with the way episode 1 opened), but a lot of the mystique of the Haruhi show was trying to piece together everything that was happening at the time when the show was presenting itself as deceptively TOO mundane. I'd argue that if you go back and watch the show chronologically now, a BIG part of this mystique suddenly evaporates. It moreso captures that "uncertainty/angst" of that stage of life, but does so without being deep or abrasive - if you yourself are in school and watching it, it's going to have more meaning than it would to an adult well past college.

Even now, I still look back (and have written here on ANN as much) that I will occasionally take time to consider shows like Big O or Cowboy Bebop, and I'm still picking out new thoughts and meanings from the storyboards or scripts as an adult that went over my head as a kid. There's not much of that with Haruhi. Compared to other titles in the lineup for that Spring 2006 season, once you watch the show in whole, the mystery falls away and what's left is the "moe" factor. I would infinitely promote watching Higurashi if you can stomach the gore, as it accomplished everything I was hoping Haruhi would have in the end. To this day, I think more of even Ouran and remember it more fondly than Haruhi as it was actually trying to say something with its story - I think that's why the copies and the "look" that studios pumped out after were painful for us Toonami sorts, as Haruhi landed all of this mainstream success without having much of anything substantial to say with its material.

Much in the same way I'd hear anime fans a generation older than I talking fondly of Otaku no Video pushing the fandom during the VHS trading era, I'd similarly point out Haruhi as a "you had to be there" sort of moment in anime. Just as Genshiken arguably does a better job of capturing the same vibe Otaku no Video was going for, if you're going back and watching Haruhi in 2020, you're likely going to get more out of indulging in what the show stands for than its actual contents when there are other shows that have done the same sort of story much better. I think it says something when Inuyasha ended quite some time ago and Bleach fans were in purgatory for a while there.... Attack on Titan seasons have huge waits, yet I still see people stopping what they're doing to make time for those and Yashahime's new seasons. The moment the original Haruhi anime slowed down, I stopped hearing people talk about it outside of lamenting other shows were then trying to recapture its success in some form or another. Is fascinating to see the new Haruhi book needed a reprint, as I cant imagine the series has that much of a following now in America.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Okay, now you've got me curious. I have seen all of SDF Macross but don't remember a recap episode (or at least one that was memorable). Which episode was it?

Not a conventional one -- it's one case where the distinction between "recap episode" and "clip show" is arguably relevant -- but I was thinking of episode 17, "Phantasm".
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(But that's only the second-best recap episode ever. The best one belongs to Re:Creators.)

A man of taste.

I only wish the show itself hadn't gone downhill after the recap. I found the ending of Re:Creators rather underwhelming despite enjoying the preceding twenty episodes or so.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:05 am Reply with quote
AnimegoManiac wrote:
Which I find hilarious as per the nature of the show, we know things about Mikuru that most of the cast don't know and Kyon refuses to consider. 1 It's Mikuru's job and 2 We know she comes through everything perfectly fine.

Mikuru is her own boss and if she's fine with it then who's to say what she can't do it?
I suppose you could argue Mikuru is endangering Mikuru unnecessarily but seeing how it's stable time loop, I don't think she'd care. Also, I don't think she wants to be fired or wiped from existence.

It's complicated situation, one you have to think about, especially after Itsuki points out to Kyon in Sigh that Mikuru is exploiting Haruhi's abuse to make Kyon more likely to take Mikuru's side.

I love Sigh, sad that it doesn't get the recognition it deserves thanks to 8 of 8.
Koizumi: Take my side.
Mikuru: Take my side.
Yuki: I'm on your side.

Edit: I'm honestly glad to talk about a show that has more actual depth than just its premise. Themes and complex characters, I haven't gotten around to talking about plots yet. Or the humor or the action.

Day of Sagittarius III, that is its own post.
I find this to be a copout. Even if Mikuru is confirmed to be a proud masochist, it still doesn't make the abuse of her, intentional or not, to be any more comforting or entertaining to the viewer unless it's a Japanese otaku thing that we westerners just can't seem to comprehend. Confused
Sporkaganza

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:18 am Reply with quote
I was a big enough fan of this series back in the day that I bought many of the English-translated light novels, watched the second season when it came out, and I think I have the Disappearance movie DVD lying around somewhere. I even wrote fan fiction.

Personally, I think it's best left in the dustbin of history. I agree that it was mostly good timing and surface-level "wow factor" and moe appeal that led to it getting so popular. When Ouran High School Host Club aired in the same season as Haruhi Suzumiya, people referred to the main character as "the other Haruhi" because... her name was also Haruhi (obviously). It's ironic, because I think that show is ten times more relevant today than Haruhi, and I don't even think that show has aged very well. It still feels light-years ahead in terms of actually being like, about stuff.

I'll stand by Disappearance till the day I die, but it's honestly not worth going through the series far enough to get to that point. A lot of the novels after that were already covered in the anime, but everything after that I barely remember. I don't know if I'd say it's outright bad, but it's definitely not worth the impact it had on anime as a whole. The moe-trend it started is what led to anime eventually eating its own tail and getting bogged down in creepy bullshit, which is basically what made me give up on modern anime around 5 years ago, although I still read manga and occasionally watch older stuff, and I watch the new Jojo's seasons when they come out.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
In my eyes, the show itself does hold up spectacularly and I constantly see myself coming back to this series year after year. There is a charm and self-awareness to the series that, in my opinion, no other series has been able to capture... a je ne sais quoi, if I may. The music, the atmosphere, the character interactions... all of them masterful in their execution.

Yes, Haruhi is mean. Yes, she is selfish. But that's the beauty of it. In complete contrast to her repressed public persona, she is unbridled in her desires and won't hesitate to violate social contracts. It is refreshing to say the least, especially when contrasted with all the other characters who abide by social norms. Of course, that's only her initial appeal. She does change as others have pointed out. With regard to the student film thing, I hope people do realize that Haruhi's abuse of Mikuru was only escalating because Kyon was paying more attention to Mikuru. It doesn't justify her actions, of course, but it's definitely not unfounded. The fact that it yielded her the opposite reaction from Kyon - him hating her... Now, that was a brilliant metaphorical slap to her face (which was far more poignant than any physical slap would have been), reprimanding her for her selfish actions. Both of them came out from the experience having grown after reconciling with one another (note that she treats Mikuru far better after that). She's no monster, she's a jealous teenager... With a compelling backstory to explain how she came to be this way to boot! There is subtly to the writing that many aren't giving enough credit for.

That, and the well-incorporated existential philosophy, excellent plot twists that keep subverting expectations and brilliant foreshadowing. Seriously, the fact that Haruhi met Kyon in the past was already foreshadowed from the very first episode. I absolutely adore series that do this as it makes for a phenomenal re-watch, where insignificant lines become extremely pertinent. I still pick up new tidbits every now and then.

All in all, I find the act of relegating the show to a mere historical curiosity to be doing the show an extreme disservice. Haruhi is an excellent show that I would highly recommend to any fan of anime, new or old. It became a phenomenon because it was good. Not the other way around.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Sporkaganza wrote:
The moe-trend it started is what led to anime eventually eating its own tail and getting bogged down in creepy bullshit

Moe was a big enough thing by 2001 for Hiroki Azuma to be writing about it. Di Gi Charat aired in 1999. Haruhi may have been where English-speaking fans first heard the term "moe", but I don't think it can be blamed for it.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
In my eyes, the show itself does hold up spectacularly and I constantly see myself coming back to this series year after year. There is a charm and self-awareness to the series that, in my opinion, no other series has been able to capture... a je ne sais quoi, if I may. The music, the atmosphere, the character interactions... all of them masterful in their execution.

Yes, Haruhi is mean. Yes, she is selfish. But that's the beauty of it. In complete contrast to her repressed public persona, she is unbridled in her desires and won't hesitate to violate social contracts. It is refreshing to say the least, especially when contrasted with all the other characters who abide by social norms. Of course, that's only her initial appeal. She does change as others have pointed out. With regard to the student film thing, I hope people do realize that Haruhi's abuse of Mikuru was only escalating because Kyon was paying more attention to Mikuru. It doesn't justify her actions, of course, but it's definitely not unfounded. The fact that it yielded her the opposite reaction from Kyon - him hating her... Now, that was a brilliant metaphorical slap to her face (which was far more poignant than any physical slap would have been), reprimanding her for her selfish actions. Both of them came out from the experience having grown after reconciling with one another (note that she treats Mikuru far better after that). She's no monster, she's a jealous teenager... With a compelling backstory to explain how she came to be this way to boot! There is subtly to the writing that many aren't giving enough credit for.

That, and the well-incorporated existential philosophy, excellent plot twists that keep subverting expectations and brilliant foreshadowing. Seriously, the fact that Haruhi met Kyon in the past was already foreshadowed from the very first episode. I absolutely adore series that do this as it makes for a phenomenal re-watch, where insignificant lines become extremely pertinent. I still pick up new tidbits every now and then.

All in all, I find the act of relegating the show to a mere historical curiosity to be doing the show an extreme disservice. Haruhi is an excellent show that I would highly recommend to any fan of anime, new or old. It became a phenomenon because it was good. Not the other way around.
Which would all be fine and dandy if Haruhi was just a normal human being and not some all-powerful existential god who chose to live under human laws and human lifestyles. That's the elephant in the room that still makes legitimately no sense to me in this series.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Sporkaganza wrote:
The moe-trend it started is what led to anime eventually eating its own tail and getting bogged down in creepy bullshit

Moe was a big enough thing by 2001 for Hiroki Azuma to be writing about it. Di Gi Charat aired in 1999. Haruhi may have been where English-speaking fans first heard the term "moe", but I don't think it can be blamed for it.

Oh, moe was definitely known to English-speaking fans before Haruhi came along. I'm not sure you could even reasonably argue that it expanded awareness of moe in the West since titles like Elfen Lied and the first Higurashi had already greatly expanded the genres using it. (Yes, EL, despite being one of the bloodiest of all TV series anime, also had strong moe elements.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, moe was definitely known to English-speaking fans before Haruhi came along. I'm not sure you could even reasonably argue that it expanded awareness of moe in the West since titles like Elfen Lied and the first Higurashi had already greatly expanded the genres using it. (Yes, EL, despite being one of the bloodiest of all TV series anime, also had strong moe elements.)

Good point on Elfen Lied, but I don't think Higurashi would've counted for much -- it aired the same season Haruhi did. (Man, that was a big season -- Ouran, Black Lagoon, Nana, Gintama, xxxHolic, and the back halves of Fate/stay night and Ergo Proxy.)

I was only just getting into anime fandom at the time, so I decided to search rec.arts.anime.misc just now. There's a lot of false positives for the name "Moe" going back (both Japanese/female as in "Moe the doll from Love Hina" and western/male as in "Larry Moe and Curly"), but I was able to find this discussion from 2004. So, fair. That said, Haruhi reached a much larger audience than Comic Party, and I don't know how many other anime had actually used the term in dialogue. It may well have been the first time many English-speaking anime fans in 2006 had heard that term.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:57 am Reply with quote
Pixel_Crusher wrote:
To this day, I still blame this series for "killing" the potential for more anime like "Cowboy Bebop" and "The Big O". Instead, it helped over-saturate the anime market with the moe aesthetic and ecchi.
I know you're talking a bit Razz -in-cheek here, but there was already no shortage of moe and ecchi throughout the early 2000s. Even the ecchi in Haruhi was pretty tame compared to the likes of Girls Bravo, Rizelmine, Green Green, Grenadier, Mahoromatic, Hanaukyo Maids, Yumeria, Guardian Hearts, Ikki Tousen, Popotan, Yamibou, DearS, and more. And for moe, you had Cardcaptor Sakura (predating both Cowboy Bebop and Big O!), Kokoro Library, Angelic Layer, Azumanga Daioh, Kanon '02, To Heart, Rumbling Hearts, Chobits, KyoAni's AIR, Bottle Fairy, Aria, Angel Tales, Kamichu!, and others.

ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Then there was the endless eight and the whole situation with Hirano Aya and the series soon got replaced by K-On.
SilvaStreamer wrote:
Did it really lose momentum/popularity because the author went on hiatus or because Haruhi'a VA got into a scandal??

The Aya Hirano scandal stuff was mainly fueled by certain right-wing tabloid sites, and wasn't a factor in the lack of new Haruhi anime being made -- as explained here, it was mainly because of the novels going on hiatus, and no "promote the source work" incentive for anyone to fund more production.

I_Drive_DSM wrote:
What has Kyoto put out that's been just an absolute stinker? Not anything that comes off the top of my head.
Munto TV (which I haven't seen) isn't viewed too favorably, Myriad Colors Phantom World disappointed quite a few, and Tamako Market's reception seemed to fall in the "meh" range. If anything qualifies for "stinker" status, it's probably one of those three, as the negativity around stuff like Free! has more of a basis in ideology than in the quality of the series.

yuna49 wrote:
Not too surprising for ANN to overlook, but the fact that torrents were becoming more common had to have played a role in Haruhi's success outside Japan.
Torrents had been around and potentially damaging U.S. sales since early/mid-2003. Most of what I'd say about the series itself has already been said (though I can testify that numerous moments inspired clapping and cheering while watching the first season at the college anime club), but I want to take a moment to credit the fansubs themselves for their contribution to the Haruhi phenomenon. a.f.k.'s fansubs, done essentially by one person, were exceedingly accurate (aside from misinterpreting a long-winded line about the architect Gaudi as "gaudy" instead), came out on time like clockwork, and were smartly-written with liberal phrasing that definitely enhanced the enjoyability of the series. I don't find it a stretch to say that viewers saw the series as having "witty dialogue" in large part because of the writing quality of those fansubs -- a number of whose lines somehow made their way into the English dub.

When the official translations came out, they were routinely criticized, and not solely for the usual sticking points like using Western name order or not using honorifics. Instead, they were slammed for being over-literal and awkward, and for making baffling decisions like "future men" instead of "time travelers." If Bandai's subs (not sure if Funimation tweaked them at all) had been the viewerbase's first exposure to the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, would it have been received the same way? I'm not so sure. At least the official subbing of the more contentious 2nd season had different staff and was generally better.

ShayGuy wrote:

The first explicit in-anime use of the term I can remember right now was in Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (Spring 2002) episode 08 (the one with the "dating-sim world", and it's likely no coincidence that a lot of those early moe examples were from dating-sims/VNs/eroge), where Sasshi describes the kanji 萌 and gushes "Moe!!" over a girl looking for her lost pet. The Rice-Box fansub notes it as "Moe: Showing love to someone or situation." Not all fansubbers got the message though, as evidenced by Anime-Keep's Happy Lesson Advance (Summer 2003) translating it literally as "sprouty." ADV's DVD release (March '04) translates it in the sub and dub as "Charm," but has pop-up notes stating
Quote:
"Coming from a verb that means 'to sprout,' 'moe' is a term used by otaku. It is applied to objects of infatuation. Some say the word comes from Moe Sagisawa, a character from the anime Dinosaur Planet (1993) whom fans had a thing for."

By Fall 2004, you had characters in the My-Hime previews making "moeru" puns based on 萌える (sprout) and 燃える (burn), as in
Quote:
"I thought this was supposed to be a burning hot story set in a school."
"It was burning. The ferry and all those cars."
"No. That's not what I meant."
"The next episode will take place at school."
"Will there be passion?"
"Yeah. Burning passion."
(Static-Subs' fansub had similar lines, but included "moe" untranslated.)

So basically, the concept of moe was (or at least should've been) generally known about prior to Haruhi. I remember discussions of AIR (Winter 2005) debating whether Misuzu Kamio's moe attributes were a boon or a drain to the series. Though we can't credit or blame Haruhi for starting the so-called "moe era," we could say that it was the first moe megahit that the English-speaking viewerbase experienced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5