• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Digimon Adventure:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I think this is the point where my thoughts are going to start to diverge from common ones.

I think the Super Evolution being here makes sense. While Adventure: has a larger cast to handle, both Tamers and Savers debuted their first Perfect around this point. Savers was 13 and Tamers was 14 and those both signaled arc shifts (Tamers having the Deva arc and Savers being the Mercurimon arc, both bring their respective first major arcs.)

I think it also makes sense given Taichi's characterization this time around versus his original. If anything, I think the character arcs may actually be less of a thing for the Perfect/Ultimates and play a bigger, more significant portion for the Ultimates/Megas instead. Maybe Taichi's going to have to redefine his definition of courage after it backfires.

Last edited by GNPixie on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:27 pm Reply with quote
So im kinda intrigued by this method of forcing the team to get their respective crest as opposed to the prior crest quest. This seems much more organic having the crest be more symbolic in nature than a physical entity and the journey being what unlocks them.

Now what i do have some concerns over is if we're gonna have the failed Metal Greymon digivolution at all.

Also still kinda wondering if / when or even how they're going to introduce both T.K and Kari to the team.
Adv193

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:07 am Reply with quote
The only complaint I have for this new series so far is that the story is too fast-paced compared to the original series, and compared to Tamers or Savers they should have waited a few more episodes before introducing Ultimate/Perfect evolutions.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:08 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
So im kinda intrigued by this method of forcing the team to get their respective crest as opposed to the prior crest quest. This seems much more organic having the crest be more symbolic in nature than a physical entity and the journey being what unlocks them.

Now what i do have some concerns over is if we're gonna have the failed Metal Greymon digivolution at all.

Also still kinda wondering if / when or even how they're going to introduce both T.K and Kari to the team.

The thing is, though, the original did that as well. The crest was just a "medium" to help them realize what was already inside them. And when they didn't need them anymore, the Digimon could digivolve without the physical crests. But the kids had to learn and grow to realize this eventually, not just suddenly having it right then and there like the new one.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:59 am Reply with quote
I'm personally fine with them not doing the failed evolution storyline because I want them to keep doing original things with these characters and not just remixing the old plots. If I wanted to see the dark evolution story again, I would just go back and rewatch the original series. But I do agree they need to make clearer reasons for what triggers the evolutions because right now it feels too random and this Metalgreymon evolution didn't feel earned. But I'm also fine with them introducing the ultimate forms earlier because as mentioned above other Digimon series did that before and it worked fine. I do love they have a new evolution song instead of the way the original just only had Brave Heart for every evolution scene even right up to Tri. But I wonder why nobody suggested they use their flying Digimon to cross the toxic water?
GNPixie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:03 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
But I do agree they need to make clearer reasons for what triggers the evolutions because right now it feels too random and this Metalgreymon evolution didn't feel earned. But I'm also fine with them introducing the ultimate forms earlier because as mentioned above other Digimon series did that before and it worked fine.

If I'm not mistaken, in some of the obscure background lore for things like the V-Pets and some of the mangas, evolutions are random or a reaction to an external force or pressure like say the enviroment (which is honestly a decent way of explaining otherwise lazy recolors like Yukidramon, MudFridgimon, etc.) Most of the anime opted to use a child's growth and lowest point to illustrate it.

Given the focus on action this early on, the evolutions could very well be a reaction to an external force in the same way but from a much more physical type of struggle. Given spoiler[Omegamon's appearance] in 2 and 3 being established as a literal miracle, I wonder if they're going to spend more time with the Perfect/Ultimate levels as a way to put more importance on character arcs and the like for any further evolutions. Given how 10 actually utilized MG instead of just having it be a stationary turret like in the original, I would absolutely love that as to see what they will do with group fight choregrophy.

Or it could all just be to introduce the power scaling early on and things are going to be a little more dynamic with regards to what evolution they use to solve each problem, etc. Honestly, 2020 doing its own is absolutely a great thing for me personally because it lets my mind go nuts with theories, etc. Sure, we've got spoiler[Devimon] as the first arc's major threat but other than that, the show largely seems to be interested in doing its own take on the story.

spoiler[The question is: Will Leomon survive all the way? That's the big deciding factor if the show 100% wants to do its own thing.]
Gwydion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:24 am Reply with quote
I want DA: to do it's own thing as well - I have the original if I want to watch that storyline. But I do want DA: to capture the essence of what made the original so good, and that's interesting characters and how they dealt with what was thrown at them. And Taichi and Agumon reaching MetalGreymon here not only didn't feel earned, it felt like the show was rewarding them for being reckless, which is what '99 Taichi had to learn not to do.

I didn't need to see SkullGreymon, I just needed to see a good reason for what spurred Agumon's Ultimate form to come out, not just "well we had a distraction plan, but we're just going to fight them head on all alone anyway because we want to". Even something as simple as having them form a plan using all the digimon, it not working, but Taichi/Greymon stepping up to protect everyone would have worked as there would be a sound reason for it. But the way it happened felt more like Taichi just trying to take on the responsibility all by himself (even saying "I will find the Holy Digimon. I will save the city."), and the added Ogremon plot even made it seem like he had a personal vendetta to settle. Neither of these really show "courage" to me.

Anyway, I don't want it to seem like I hate the show or anything, because I don't. I think there's a lot of potential for it to be pretty good, actually, and it's still very early. I'm sure we'll get more good character stuff as the series goes on. But it is very hard not to compare it to the original at this point, and comparatively I feel like the original had a depth of character even this early on that DA: is lacking a bit, at least in the case of Taichi. I am hopeful that the next few episodes will handle the rest of the cast a bit better.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Someone mentioned Tamers and Savers had evolutions early that worked out but I would like to point out something about that. They also had a smaller cast at first, so alot of the focus/development could be seen in less episodes due to less cast to showcase. That is why in those cases, it didn't feel rushed. Adventure has alot more even if you take away Kari and TK atm. And some of them dont even have the interaction needed to showcase any development yet...hence it feels rushed and not earned.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:35 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
TexZero wrote:

The thing is, though, the original did that as well. The crest was just a "medium" to help them realize what was already inside them. And when they didn't need them anymore, the Digimon could digivolve without the physical crests. But the kids had to learn and grow to realize this eventually, not just suddenly having it right then and there like the new one.

I mean i get that they eventually got there and that they didn't need the physical crest after a while (or at the very least it was cut from the animation sequences for cost/time). That said i actually prefer them not being physical items as it just feels like it makes the story flow much more organic.

I dont quite like how Metal Greymon was handeled here given how brash Tai acted. However, i get what they were aiming for. I'm just pointing out that if this was DA:01 instead of DA:2020 this sequence would have more likely lead to Skull Greymon which has me interested to see if they're even going to cover that at all.
TwilightTorrent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:45 pm Reply with quote

agree this evolution should appear around this time. i'm a bit turned off by the characters because, it feels like they are overdeveloped from the start. the thing i like about digimon as a series is that growth/evolution typically come about from a challenge or enlightenment. it all in all makes the reboot feel lacking and a bit underwhelming.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
But I do agree they need to make clearer reasons for what triggers the evolutions because right now it feels too random and this Metalgreymon evolution didn't feel earned.

For me, this has been a huge sticking point for me when it comes to the past couple of Digimon series. Digivolutions used to mean something. They are supposed to be tied into the individual partners' development. Kinda like a milestone. A physical realization or manifestation of their partners' growth and a moment of well-deserved catharsis.

Toei used to be so good, but recently, it's been about spamming evolutions left, right and center.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
But I'm also fine with them introducing the ultimate forms earlier because as mentioned above other Digimon series did that before and it worked fine.

Hm... For those aforementioned series, the cast was smaller, meaning to say that they had way more time for development. And the evolutions were more spread out. Not to mention, there's usually a break between the Champion/Adult and Ultimate/Perfect introductions to allow for a certain amount of organic tension and buildup. In this series, it feels more like they're struggling to check the evolutions off a list or fill a quota.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

Hm... For those aforementioned series, the cast was smaller, meaning to say that they had way more time for development. And the evolutions were more spread out. Not to mention, there's usually a break between the Champion/Adult and Ultimate/Perfect introductions to allow for a certain amount of organic tension and buildup. In this series, it feels more like they're struggling to check the evolutions off a list or fill a quota.
Tamers started off with three leads but ended up with 11 Tamers if we count spoiler[Ai and Mako] compared to Adventure only having six lead Chosen Children so far. And Adventure: is also going to be a longer series than most Digimon seasons with 66 episodes. But Tamers probably had the largest cast of any Digimon show.
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Actar wrote:

Tamers started off with three leads but ended up with 11 Tamers if we count spoiler[Ai and Mako] compared to Adventure only having six lead Chosen Children so far. And Adventure: is also going to be a longer series than most Digimon seasons with 66 episodes. But Tamers probably had the largest cast of any Digimon show.

Tamers might have had a larger cast but only the core three digimon went trough multiple digivolutions. The rest either never digivolved (calumon, leomon, marineangemon) or only had one or two. Also some like marineangemon had no speaking lines aside from its attack name. Ryo and his partner unfortunately had most of their backstory in a game. So even with the larger cast most of development was on the core trio, jerry and impmon
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:02 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Actar wrote:

Tamers might have had a larger cast but only the core three digimon went trough multiple digivolutions. The rest either never digivolved (calumon, leomon, marineangemon) or only had one or two. Also some like marineangemon had no speaking lines aside from its attack name. Ryo and his partner unfortunately had most of their backstory in a game. So even with the larger cast most of development was on the core trio, jerry and impmon

Let's also not forget that most of them were properly integrated into the plot only in the latter half of the series.
Super_M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Can someone tell me how adventure 2020 is received in Japan? It's skews more to success or other way around?

Thanks in advance for answer!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9