• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Go to Japan with ANN and PacSet Travel!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:17 am Reply with quote
I definitely like that some of the locations are off the beaten track but it’s way too over priced for me. I also dislike tours

But sounds great for anyone who can afford it and who doesn’t like to travel solo.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
If you don't have wi-fi, don't pay for data roaming. It's very expensive if it's outside the country your mobile phone plan was registered in.
That varies greatly from country to country. Some providers have very affordable, or even free roaming. I know someone from India who now lives in Canada and uses his Indian phone here because it's cheaper than a Canadian phone and his roaming is capped at about $20 / month.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
HyugaHinata wrote:
If you don't have wi-fi, don't pay for data roaming. It's very expensive if it's outside the country your mobile phone plan was registered in.
That varies greatly from country to country. Some providers have very affordable, or even free roaming. I know someone from India who now lives in Canada and uses his Indian phone here because it's cheaper than a Canadian phone and his roaming is capped at about $20 / month.

If you don't have a good plan with roaming, you can also easily rent a sim card for your phone for what would probably total $4-$6 a day depending on the company and length of time.

Personally having been there multiple times, I wouldn't rely on public wifi as suggested earlier.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I've already started planning for this as it'll be my first trip to Japan.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

If you don't have a good plan with roaming, you can also easily rent a sim card for your phone for what would probably total $4-$6 a day depending on the company and length of time.

Personally having been there multiple times, I wouldn't rely on public wifi as suggested earlier.
All true.

Also stuff Evan will help people with. One of the perks of a guided tour!
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
You can now also buy a IIJmio Japan Travel Sim (https://t.iijmio.jp/en/) for about 2500 yen for 1GB/30 days. You can get those at many konbini or elektronics shops, though they do tend to sell out sometimes. There are quite a few alternatives, but most you'll have to order and get it delivered somewhere. After years of using a pocket wifi during my trips to Japan, this is now my preferred option.

In my experience public wifi is pretty useless indeed, mostly because it's usually not available where you would need it most.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote
Anyone visiting Japan, don't forget your travel insurance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3