• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Judge Rules Vic Mignogna Must Pay US$238,042 to Defendants in Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bastille

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
At the same time, this is not Rooster Teeth's outright VP. It's their Vice President of Production and Engineering. The following is outright hyperbole but a similar event would be ANN reporting that the lead developer for Crunchyroll or Funimation's mobile app was fired for beating their partner. It is certainly a terrible story involving a company with some relevance to anime but in terms of actual relevance to the anime industry, there is likely none. That person would get replaced and everyone else would move on.

Regardless, that's likely enough detracting from the actual subject matter. The ball is now in Vic's court to either pay up for his loss or to try and appeal, at significant cost/risk to himself given what has already taken place.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Rentwo wrote:
Seems like everyone got lowballed. I guess there's not much of a reason for him not to file an appeal now.

Seems to me there's 287,500 reasons not to appeal:

The judge obviously wants the lawsuit to end but most of the people involved are contract employees meaning they will get a bill for hundreds of thousands of dollars of lawyer fees. The people that dislike Vic will not admit it but this is a pyrrhic victory in that everyone involved will be paying a lot of money. It was a mistake to attempt a defamation lawsuit in the United States but a lot of Americans don't realize how incredibly difficult it is to win a defamation lawsuit.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
The thing is, the lowball number indicates the judge found the suit so frivolous that the defense was running up the score with excessive filings.

You are partly right in that the judge thinks they were doing excessive filings which means more money for the lawyers but it is bad for the clients. They are the ones that get stuck with the remaining fees and as people have pointed out for months they aren't Funimation employees but are contract workers.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Bastille wrote:
At the same time, this is not Rooster Teeth's outright VP. It's their Vice President of Production and Engineering. The following is outright hyperbole but a similar event would be ANN reporting that the lead developer for Crunchyroll or Funimation's mobile app was fired for beating their partner. It is certainly a terrible story involving a company with some relevance to anime but in terms of actual relevance to the anime industry, there is likely none. That person would get replaced and everyone else would move on

You might have a point of ANN didn't report about Rooster Teeth many times in the past, as well as their non anime output like RWBY and Gen;lock. There have been many articles about easily replaced, vaguely related people in the anime industry like convention staffers, website employees, or voice actors. People are just pointing out how it's inconsistant how some of these incidents are news worth while others aren't.

Chrono1000 wrote:
You are partly right in that the judge thinks they were doing excessive filings which means more money for the lawyers but it is bad for the clients. They are the ones that get stuck with the remaining fees and as people have pointed out for months they aren't Funimation employees but are contract workers.

If you read the minutes you can see when Judge Chupp bluntly says that either Rial's lawyer is overbilling his client or Marchi's lawyer is underbilling his when he looks at their requested fees and saw such a huge difference in them. That was more than likely why he gave everyone a flat $50,000 in attorney fees. Part of Anti SLAPP is paying for lawyers fees, but an easy way to abuse that is to run up frivolous costs and ask for a ridiculous amount of money.. Judges tend to hate that kind of abuse and Chupp probably just decided a case like this would have only cost around $50,000 and that's what everyone gets, if they spent more than that it was their own council's fault.

Rial's lawyer filed a new motion to demand Judge Chupp explain himself on why he didn't give them a much higher amount like he asked for. If Vic doesn't appeal, we might very well see Rial or her attorney file one.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:04 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Post removed

Better pray your subs don't ever get caught in something insane like this then. Rolling Eyes
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Better pray your subs don't ever get caught in something insane like this then. Rolling Eyes

Given how short a leash seiyuu are on and how important a profesional public image is, I can't imagine anything as big or crazy as thing whole thing happening, what with conventions owners and YouTubers and voice actors and dubbing companies and journalists all trying to take each other down with epic dunks or other silly stuff. Laughing All we'll ever see is an idol being caught with their boyfriend or girlfriend and it being a scandal. Not really the Japanese way to cause a scene
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

Given how short a leash seiyuu are on and how important a profesional public image is, I can't imagine anything as big or crazy as thing whole thing happening, what with conventions owners and YouTubers and voice actors and dubbing companies and journalists all trying to take each other down with epic dunks or other silly stuff. Laughing All we'll ever see is an idol being caught with their boyfriend or girlfriend and it being a scandal. Not really the Japanese way to cause a scene

Pierre Taki anyone?
Ashabel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Joe anime wrote:
So ANN has no problem reporting on Vic Mignogna,but nothing on the Rooster Teeth vice president,really?

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/man-accused-of-brutally-attacking-wife-no-longer-employed-by-rooster-teeth/

Rooster Teeth firing criminals, sexual predators and other kinds of bad people from their company isn't really news. They already established that pattern of behaviour when they fired Vic Mignogna.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm seeing a lot of "if Vic appeals" posts. They've already begun the appeal process long before the fees were set. This is far from over.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Happy Thanksgiving indeed. lol
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Please keep on topic, folks.

Rooster Teeth and subs v dubs are straying away from the report.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of "if Vic appeals" posts. They've already begun the appeal process long before the fees were set. This is far from over.

If by "begun the appeal process" you mean "filed for an appeal before they're even legally allowed to because Beard is an incompetent" then yes. And I'm sure plenty of folks are expecting/dreading Vic trying to appeal and extending this garbage case longer. Personally I'm hoping that having a concrete amount of money demanded of him will be enough to convince Vic to cut his losses and give up. But then if he were that reasonable he wouldn't have gone forward with this doomed waste of time and money to begin with.
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
i Don't really care for these cases But from the glimpse i hear honestly Sounds like Vic Needs a Better lawyer. Beard seems incompetent for this job.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Posts deleted. Rooster Teeth discussions are out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I hope he will learn from this and moves on.If he doesn't,it could cost him even more than he could imagine.People need to know when to leave it alone.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:04 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

If by "begun the appeal process" you mean "filed for an appeal before they're even legally allowed to because Beard is an incompetent" then yes. And I'm sure plenty of folks are expecting/dreading Vic trying to appeal and extending this garbage case longer. Personally I'm hoping that having a concrete amount of money demanded of him will be enough to convince Vic to cut his losses and give up. But then if he were that reasonable he wouldn't have gone forward with this doomed waste of time and money to begin with.

There was nothing particularly wrong with when they filed the appeal. It was early, yeah, but better early than late. It's just put on a shelf until the final ruling comes in.

Beard's big screw up was that first hearing, but that's supposedly because he went in ready for a TCPA hearing only for Chupp to run it differently. Since then it's mostly been Monica's lawyer getting on Chupp's nerves. And both of them are on record admitting Vic's suit was meritorious and was only defeated because of rules.

And I wouldn't expect Vic to get discouraged any time soon. He still gets invited to cons, still pulls in 3 hour lines, and the Go Fund Me keeps growing by the day. He's got no shortage of support.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6