• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Birthday presents from/for me:
Hunter X Hunter BD 6
Kaiyodo Eva Mass Production Model 7” figure
Emanon vol 2
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:20 am Reply with quote
Picked up Space Brothers BD vol. 1-8 from Sentai's last sale.
At $5.99/BD I thought it was a steal. Smile
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:00 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Picked up Space Brothers BD vol. 1-8 from Sentai's last sale.
At $5.99/BD I thought it was a steal. Smile

I got them last year for around the same and had the same impression. The only drawback is that I am SURE they will be, very soon, offering a box set, which will be, during their sales, less than the $48 we paid. But it hasn't happened yet.

[edit]

I am now the proud owner of three random Ranma 1/2 laserdiscs. 23, 24, and 38. Each have 4 episodes.

A trio of badly written eBay auctions caught my eye, selling "Pony Canyon anime discs."
Not Ranma 1/2, not laserdiscs... but that description. And the photos gave no hint of perspective so I didn't even know if they were DVD's, CD's, or Laserdiscs... or other. But they were all starting at 99 cents. So I bid. I think I might frame one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:05 am Reply with quote

I think they've been on Sentai sales for roughly the last 2 years or so and its only now that I've gotten around to picking them up. I know they were also on at least one RS sale for roughly the same price as well. I think they probably overprinted and they initially didn't sell well, so I am not so sure if they will make a complete collection. I mean everybody by now who wanted them has probably bought them at these prices. I'm not sure they'd recoup the cost of a new batch. They also made DVD singles...ouch.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:26 pm Reply with quote
That didn't stop them from making a Patlabor box. Although I guess those might not have sold for so low.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote

Well, it isn't out of the question depending on how much longer they have the license and if they can recoup costs. Heck, companies do make some strange decisions at times at least from an outside perspective and we don't know what licensor requirements might be. So there is a possibility of a new release (as I write this they will release a new complete set that will eventually go on sale for $20! Laughing ). Patlabor singles had a few issues with them like some subtitling errors and I think some visual problems on one or two of the episodes. IIRC I think the box set got a re-encode which might explain why it got a box set re-release.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
A Certain Magical Index 3: Part 1 (2019) – Blu-ray/DVD Combo
DC Gamer Gamestop Funko Box
Disney's Treasures: Nightmare Before Christmas Box
LEGO Harry Potter: Collection (Switch)
National Lampoon’s Vacation - 30th Anniversary Edition (1983) – Blu-ray
Resident Evil 2 (Xbox One)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GOTY Edition(Xbox One)

Pre Ordered:
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PS4)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
From the Sentai Halloween-ish sale a few weeks ago:

AKB0048 Next Stage BD
Beyond the Boundary Double Feature BD/DVD
Love, Chuunibyou, and other Delusions Seasons 1-2 BD
Love, Chuunibyou, and other Delusions: Rikka Version BD/DVD
Love, Chuunibyou, and other Delusions: Take on Me BD/DVD
Tamako Market BD
Tamako Love Story BD/DVD

From a Rightstuf dealers' room booth:
Nichijou BD

Trying to pick up all the in-print and affordable Kyoto Animation titles I've seen or am interested in. Main ones remaining are Hyouka and Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, with Munto being out of print, Sound! Euphonium having a high-priced PonyCan release, Violet Evergarden being Netflix/streaming-only, and Free! and Tsurune in the "not sure if interested" category.

EDIT: put in a "just clearing free shipping threshold" order at RSA's pre-holiday blowout:

Asura Cryin' BD
Battle Programmer Shirase BD
Hataraki Man BD
Kanamemo BD
Natsu no Arashi! BD (hopefully the 2nd season shows up before too long -- the similar-vintage Asura Cryin' release contains both cours)
Wings of Honneamise BD

UQ Holder! Vol. 18

I was going to throw in Magatsuki Vols. 11-13, if it hadn't been delayed yet again Mad After volume 8 in August '17, we got the 9-10 omnibus in June '18, with 11-13 originally scheduled for June '19, then pushed back first to November '19 and now to March '20. The heck is going on here, Kodansha? Surely there's been enough time to complete the translation/editing/lettering processes already. I know switching to omnibuses and slowing down releases can be damage-control tactics for low-selling series, but are they trying to make sure everyone loses interest? I'd rather not read the scans
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel II: Lost Butterfly Limited Edition
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Sempai BD
Star Blazers 2202 Part 2

Accel World Novel 19: Pull of the Dark Nebula
The Irregular at Magic Highschool Novel 13: Steeplechase Arc
Overlord Novel 11: The Dwarven Crafter
Strike the Blood Novel 13
Sword Art Online Novel 17
Wolf and Parchment Novel 4
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Sentai sale! I kind of predicted some online sales would start early this year, what with Thanksgiving being the latest day it can possibly be this year.

Ajin season 1
Aura Battler Dunbine
Detroit Metal City
From the New World
GATE
Land of the Lustrous
Made in Abyss
Princess Tutu
Xabungle

I had been eyeing especially for Princess Tutu, Land of the Lustrous, and Made in Abyss to drop in price! I've only read the manga on Made in Abyss, but between that and the anime's stellar reputation, I'm sold! I'm still a bit miffed about missing Space Runaway Ideon though, didn't think they'd sell out (at least I got the three VOTOMs sets and Xabungle on rightstuf) Who knows, maybe more will pop up soon?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, does anyone know what's up with a few of those really recent Sentai/Maiden Japan titles? Ideon, Votoms, the Patlabor collection, Xabungle, and now the When They Cry complete set...they're all showing up as unavailable on most storefronts, including Sentai's own, and there was a RightStuf social media post saying they didn't expect any further shipments on at least the first 3 or 4. Sentai just got the licenses to a few of those shows this calendar year...there's no way they could have lost them, right?
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Ni no Kuni Wrath Of The White Witch Remastered (PS4)
One Piece: Episode of East Blue: Luffy and His Four Friends' Great Adventure
Pikachu (Waving) Pop Vinyl Pop Games
Recovery of an MMO Junkie - The Complete Series - Essentials (2017) -- Blu-ray,
horseradish
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what else in terms of Black Friday sales I'll take advantage of, but I did find a couple of cheap movies from Walmart's sale tonight.

Detective Pikachu DVD
In This Corner of the World Blu-Ray/DVD

In This Corner of the World is a total blind-buy, but for $6, I wasn't about to pass on it. Looking forward to watching it at some point, however!
Supermutant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:51 am Reply with quote
Patlabor: The Mobile Police - Ultimate Collection (1988-2001) -- Blu-ray. With sold out on Right Stuff and Sentai. Amazon still got pretty good priced. Plus I had amazon points so it was around 40 bucks before shipping and tax.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1349 of 1401