• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dorohedoro TV Anime Reveals Promo Video, Staff, Cast, January 12 Premiere Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XSp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Crazy... this is one of my favorite animes that I was quite sure would never get adapted. Glad to see it happening!
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
In curious.... Maybe someone could help. Does it being on Netflix help with the violence part of the series? Is it still aired on TV in Japan as well? Dorohedoro has a ton of dismemberment, decapitations, nudity, and just generally crude and "adult" content. Will it be censored to hell or will it being on Netflix allow it to get away with more?
manonkaio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:55 am Reply with quote
Yep, it looks like it'll air on Tokyo MX in japan.
But regarding violence and shows being censored; from what I understand, shows have to be censored if they air on TV, but not if they only air on Amazon Prime/Netflix. You can see it this season too with Blade of the Immortal, which has absolutely nothing censored.
The only way I think that a show airing of both tv & netflix could not be censored is if it had two distinct version for each, and that seems very unlikely. I really don't know to what extent they can get away with graphic content on TV, I'm just hoping it won't ruin the adaptation.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
i didn't see it being a Netflix show. Is it? Because I saw it was set for Amazon Prime.

The designs bring back a lot of nostalgia from artists I followed as a HS'ler. Such as Katsuhiro Otomo, Masamune Shirow, Go Nagai and Johji Manabe. Though I've NEVER read Akira or 'Outlanders' (when Dark Horse's Studio Proteus line was trying their hand at manga in comic form) I'm familiar with both of them. More so Manabe. However I've been a loyal Shirow fan.
Yeah I thought it looked like the sort of title you would see on Amazon Prime. On the subject of Masamune Shirow, the main female character has the same type of nose as the lead from Dominion Tank Police, the round one with a little smudge underneath.

YES!! That's the design. Everyone who did work back during the late 80's and 90's did that little outline under the nose. I pretty much based much of my own artwork off that. I also said that if I had ever got a series off the ground. I'd want Shirow designs. Also that rough designs outlined on the toughest females around. Haven't followed Shirow much these days as he's kind of low key these days. His designs have upgraded but it's still him. He just got better. But you can see the big difference in his older design work vs his newer stuff. But I'm really exited for this series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2